Welcome to the forum 👋, Visitor

To access the forum content and all our services, you must register or log in to the forum. Becoming a member of the forum is completely free.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Trucks

kyle23

Linebacker
Elite Member
It's time to replace my ten year old F150. I'm considering another F150, but the 3.0 Duramax is intriguing due to the increased towing capacity. My current truck has a 5.0 V8 and does OK pulling my 20ft boat, but struggles to pull my 27ft camper.

Are there any other half tons I should look at before bumping up to a three-quarter ton? I haven't shopped for vehicles in quite awhile. Should I expect any financing specials in the next month or two?

[/SPO
U7EwZpH.gif

Why knot just move up to the 3/4 since you already probably need it. I'm a little skeptical of 1/2 for any real weight towing and stopping.

Seems like you understand that already.

Edit - thanks for the Margot too

Why knot just move up to the 3/4 since you already probably need it. I'm a little skeptical of 1/2 for any real weight towing and stopping.

Bugs, you and your wally mammoth sized cock need to pipe down about this pron before ole butter fingers Jimbo makes his way into the thread

Almost 30 years I have been a builder/contractor (really a hands-on builder). In all those years only once did I go with a 3/4 ton truck, and regretted it. Half ton works for me. Sure, there are times a 3/4 ton would be nice, but not enough to warrant owning one for me.

I had a 2020 GMC AT4 with the 3.0 diesel. The engine was good. Quick, snappy, lots of torque and very quiet. Living at 6100 elevation in the Rockies, never once did I have an issue with sub-zero starting or driving with the engine.

I did have to trade that truck, as a "service emissions system" code popped up, putting the truck in severe limp mode. Over a month in the dealership, they never could fix it. I traded it off for a 23 AT4X with the 6.2 engine.

IMO, the main negative to any modern diesel is the complicated emissions systems required on them now. But the 3.0 is a very good engine.

I currently own a 2023 Chevy HC with the LZ0 and have been very happy with it so far. Been averaging 30 mpg on the highway and get 16mog when towing my bass boat. The only gripe is the radio whenever it randomly cuts out after a few minutes after starting it. Otherwise, no issues with it.

I love Fords. I’ve had a few F150s, and have a 2019 Raptor right now. That said- the new Tundras catch my eye every time I see one on the road.

Sounds like you should go up to a 3/4 ton though

If you want to stay with ford the eco boosts have one of the highest towing capacities for a 1500. In my opinion the 5.0 is very doggy towing and the 5.3 is somewhat doggy towing as well in the gm line. I’ve heard good things about the 3.0 diesels. I have a ram with hemi and it does everything I need easily towing a 22 foot boat but they’re all built well it’s just personal preference

Almost 30 years I have been a builder/contractor (really a hands-on builder). In all those years only once did I go with a 3/4 ton truck, and regretted it. Half ton works for me. Sure, there are times a 3/4 ton would be nice, but not enough to warrant owning one for me.

I had a 2020 GMC AT4 with the 3.0 diesel. The engine was good. Quick, snappy, lots of torque and very quiet. Living at 6100 elevation in the Rockies, never once did I have an issue with sub-zero starting or driving with the engine.

I did have to trade that truck, as a "service emissions system" code popped up, putting the truck in severe limp mode. Over a month in the dealership, they never could fix it. I traded it off for a 23 AT4X with the 6.2 engine.

IMO, the main negative to any modern diesel is the complicated emissions systems required on them now. But the 3.0 is a very good engine.
To be fair it doesn’t take a lot of truck to carry a megaphone, pencil, paper and tape measure or haul a utility trailer with a few lumber supplies missed on the drop.

Knowing your budget would help, OP. I'm in the same boat with an aging 1/2 ton RAM and have been eyeballing the move up to a 3/4 or even a 1 ton. BUT - in my case - I'm not going to put the cart before the horse this time. I'm going to pick my NEXT camper and size the truck to accommodate the tongue or pin weight based on the camper specs.

I was eyeballing the F-250 with the "Godzilla" gas burner, but a buddy of mine just got one as a work truck a couple of weeks ago and he hates it. He still has his personal F-150 (which he loves), and has driven a variety of Chevy's, GMC's and Ford 1/2 tons over the last decade or so. I pressed him on his preference at a group dinner on Friday night, and he said he'd lean back towards the GMC/Chevy line vs. either his current F-150 or the work F-250. Anecdotal AF, but he and I grew up in the trucking industry together and I trust his opinion here.

What @Boondock_St_Sker is rocking above is what I'm eyeballing. Not sure if I'll go with that AT4 trim package as it really reduces the max payload, but there's no doubt that's a sweet truck. My sticking point is the diesel vs. gas burner. I truly WANT the extra power & torque the diesel delivers (and slightly better fuel mileage on the bigger block versions), but fighting the DEF and the extra expense that comes with them is a YUGE negative. The big gas motor gets decent reviews, but again for me it will come down to the trailer. If I go with a big 5th wheel (which I'm leaning towards), then it's definitely going to be a diesel. Regardless, it will be a newer model year to take advantage of the improved Allison transmissions w/more gears.

My 1500 Ram Laramie with the 5.7L had zero issue pulling my 21 ft ski boat.

My neighbor pulls his large camper with his Ram Laramie 2500 and is happy with it.

Agree with the poster above about the Chevy/GMC engines. 5.3L my dad had sucked for pulling. He moved up to the GMC with a 6.2L gas engine and it pulls his 23 ft Tritoon very nicely.

To be fair it doesn’t take a lot of truck to carry a megaphone, pencil, paper and tape measure or haul a utility trailer with a few lumber supplies missed on the drop.

Yeah. Grew up on a large hog farm. We had crops too. But yeah, good call, all I do is boss people around.

Not that I haven't had my share of employees in multiple different businesses I have owned over the years. But yeah - every one of those businesses, I was hands on working (like actual working, not sitting in a tree stand) in all of those, too.

Good call though. Spot on!

;-)

My 1500 Ram Laramie with the 5.7L had zero issue pulling my 21 ft ski boat.

My neighbor pulls his large camper with his Ram Laramie 2500 and is happy with it.

Agree with the poster above about the Chevy/GMC engines. 5.3L my dad had sucked for pulling. He moved up to the GMC with a 6.2L gas engine and it pulls his 23 ft Tritoon very nicely.

6.2 easily out-everything the 5.3.

Yeah. Grew up on a large hog farm. We had crops too. But yeah, good call, all I do is boss people around.

Not that I haven't had my share of employees in multiple different businesses I have owned over the years. But yeah - every one of those businesses, I was hands on working (like actual working, not sitting in a tree stand) in all of those, too.

Good call though. Spot on!

;-)
I was just giving you a hard time! I’ve been around a couple builders that basically do what i described and we always wonder how they get paid what they do. Had to take my shot but again, I don’t know you so just screwing with ya!

I can appreciate dude that works his ass off like you described and earned your way to bossing people around! It’s nice to be the boss sometimes.

I was just giving you a hard time! I’ve been around a couple builders that basically do what i described and we always wonder how they get paid what they do. Had to take my shot but again, I don’t know you so just screwing with ya!

I can appreciate dude that works his ass off like you described and earned your way to bossing people around! It’s nice to be the boss sometimes.

It's all good, I knew it was in jest, as was my post.

TBH, I would have been smarter to not do so much of the labor myself. Hard on the body. Although I take care of my body, wear and tear happens.

Have never been that asshole boss type, not my style. I agree though, it is good to be your own boss.

Knowing your budget would help, OP. I'm in the same boat with an aging 1/2 ton RAM and have been eyeballing the move up to a 3/4 or even a 1 ton. BUT - in my case - I'm not going to put the cart before the horse this time. I'm going to pick my NEXT camper and size the truck to accommodate the tongue or pin weight based on the camper specs.

I was eyeballing the F-250 with the "Godzilla" gas burner, but a buddy of mine just got one as a work truck a couple of weeks ago and he hates it. He still has his personal F-150 (which he loves), and has driven a variety of Chevy's, GMC's and Ford 1/2 tons over the last decade or so. I pressed him on his preference at a group dinner on Friday night, and he said he'd lean back towards the GMC/Chevy line vs. either his current F-150 or the work F-250. Anecdotal AF, but he and I grew up in the trucking industry together and I trust his opinion here.

What @Boondock_St_Sker is rocking above is what I'm eyeballing. Not sure if I'll go with that AT4 trim package as it really reduces the max payload, but there's no doubt that's a sweet truck. My sticking point is the diesel vs. gas burner. I truly WANT the extra power & torque the diesel delivers (and slightly better fuel mileage on the bigger block versions), but fighting the DEF and the extra expense that comes with them is a YUGE negative. The big gas motor gets decent reviews, but again for me it will come down to the trailer. If I go with a big 5th wheel (which I'm leaning towards), then it's definitely going to be a diesel. Regardless, it will be a newer model year to take advantage of the improved Allison transmissions w/more gears.
The AT4X HD gasser, what I’m driving, has the 6.6L I love it so far. Also has the gooseneck set up in the bed. I drove the F-250 Tremor but didn’t like the interior or the noise level in the cab.

It's all good, I knew it was in jest, as was my post.

TBH, I would have been smarter to not do so much of the labor myself. Hard on the body. Although I take care of my body, wear and tear happens.

Have never been that asshole boss type, not my style. I agree though, it is good to be your own boss.
I believe it’s easier to get respect and more productivity by being a leader, not a boss. Good on you!

Theme customization system

You can customize some areas of the forum theme from this menu.

• Wide/Narrow view

You can control a structure that you can use to use your theme wide or narrow.

Grid view forum list

You can control the layout of the forum list in a grid or ordinary listing style structure.

Picture grid mode

You can control the structure where you can open/close images in the grid forum list.

Close sidebar

You can get rid of the crowded view in the forum by closing the sidebar.

Fixed sidebar

You can make it more useful and easier to access by pinning the sidebar.

Close radius

You can use the radius at the corners of the blocks according to your taste by closing/opening it.

• Color combinations cannot be used

Color combinations are not available to you, this area may be restricted by administrators. Please contact the administrator for more information.

Backgrounds are not available!

Background checks are not available to you, this area may be restricted by administrators. Please contact the administrator for more information.

Back