Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Travis Fisher (2 Viewers)

Fargo Husker

Quarterback
Elite Member
In the Pat Payton decommit thread on RSS, Jersey made a post insinuating that Fisher may not be back next season. It’s always been referenced that Jersey has some sort of connection to the program, I’m not sure how close/strong the connection is, but he supposedly has one. Anyway, I’m curious on people’s thoughts about this?

His recruiting prowess certainly took a hit with the departures of the 2020 FL commits he was so heavily involved in. He could redeem himself a bit by making a splash at the end of this cycle though (ie, flipping Dickerson).

His coaching though, I feel pretty good about. I look specifically at the development of CTB and Dismuke who have both made great strides under his tutelage. He’s also brought consistency to a position group that has seen nothing but turnover over the past decade. Personally, I’d like to see him stick around.

LoudHogRider

Yells at Clouds
Elite Member
tPB OG
I look specifically at the development of CTB and Dismuke who have both made great strides under his tutelage. He’s also brought consistency to a position group that has seen nothing but turnover over the past decade. Personally, I’d like to see him stick around.
Some of that development may be attributed to actually having some consistency in coaching for a few years. IIRC, we had a turnstyle going on DB coaches for years prior to the regime change. I'm not suggesting that Coach Fisher doesn't deserve some credit here (he does), but I always felt sorry for the DB room having to learn new techniques each & every year.

I makes me yearn for the Elmo & Darlington days, where 90,000 people would simultaneously stand and yell "TURN AROUND!" on every passing play generated by opposing offenses. (JK - it really doesn't)

Last edited:

Baron Winnebago

Scrote Statistician
Elite Member
tPB OG
I think Jersey gets stuff from NUfannomatterwhat or whatever it is. So I'd take it with a pretty big grain of salt. Fisher can probably leave for a program in the southeast if he wants to. The SoFlo kids bolting takes a hit, but it seems like he does a reasonable job coaching and recruiting.

It'll be interesting to see if the secondary gets better next year when 3 guys move on. Losing guys is never good, but Bootle and Dismuke are pretty limited as players.

Last edited:

...TrueColors...

Graduate Assistant
Insider
I think Jersey gets stuff from NUfannomatterwhat

This is correct. Jersey is a good dude. I’d have to know the context of what was said/asked. I’ve heard nothing about Fisher moving on and Jersey and I both talk to Nufan a lot as does @faux Sean Callahan . He will however continue to get calls every offseason because he’s good at what he does.

...TrueColors...

Graduate Assistant
Insider
It'll be interesting to see if the secondary gets better next year when 3 guys move on. Losing guys is never good, but Bootle and Dismuke are pretty limited as players.

You’ll get Braxton Clarke back who would have played a lot and add Nadab Joesph to the mix as well. I’m sure everyone saw Jospeh yesterday. He looks big and fast to me.

Cash68847

Offensive Coordinator
Elite Member
tPB OG
He’s the only assistant other programs would want
I think Held would get a job due to recruiting and Dawson could land a solid job. Outside of that maybe the d line coach could. That group has been a pretty big surprise.

SoCal_Corn

Wide Receiver
Question I thought about whilst watching the game yesterday

Do COACHES get better?

Young Players do, the more they practice and play, they improve and play better....and then they reach a Ceiling.

What about Coaches? Are ours getting better? We have a fairly young staff. Not like the grandpas of the T.O. days.
So, can Chin and Held and Austin and Tuioti ...get BETTER?

Or are they at Ceiling now?

Baron Winnebago

Scrote Statistician
Elite Member
tPB OG
Question I thought about whilst watching the game yesterday

Do COACHES get better?

Young Players do, the more they practice and play, they improve and play better....and then they reach a Ceiling.

What about Coaches? Are ours getting better? We have a fairly young staff. Not like the grandpas of the T.O. days.
So, can Chin and Held and Austin and Tuioti ...get BETTER?

Or are they at Ceiling now?
I certainly think coaches can get better, but given that a lot of it is a mental game, e.g. teaching technique, scheming against other teams, there is only so much room for improvement. It's why we see the game just kind of pass coaches by

Kaladin

Professor of Aesthetics / Positive Boogeyman
Elite Member
You’ll get Braxton Clarke back who would have played a lot and add Nadab Joesph to the mix as well. I’m sure everyone saw Jospeh yesterday. He looks big and fast to me.
At cornerback we will be fine.

Safety is the problem now that Farmer douched his ankle and since NPG isn't doing much.

Baron Winnebago

Scrote Statistician
Elite Member
tPB OG
If we do have coaches move on after the season it’s be nice to get somebody with great STL/Texas connections.

Would hate to lose Fisher though. Secondary plays tough.

The only person who should worry about STL is Frost,imo. Assistants are so transient nowadays that if you want to really establish a new recruiting foothold somewhere it's going to be a long term investment with showing them love without it necessarily yielding results in the near term. That's not really something I think you can do well unless you hire a Tony Hull type who is really deeply tied into an area

BIGSTICK67

Board Chairman - TPB, LLC
Elite Member
tPB OG
In my opinion Fisher is one of the strengths of our coaching staff. The stability in that position has been huge compared to the previous 3-5 years of his arrival.

Alcaus

Quarterback
Elite Member
tPB OG
The only person who should worry about STL is Frost,imo. Assistants are so transient nowadays that if you want to really establish a new recruiting foothold somewhere it's going to be a long term investment with showing them love without it necessarily yielding results in the near term. That's not really something I think you can do well unless you hire a Tony Hull type who is really deeply tied into an area
Hire some help getting your foot in the door is all I’m saying.

I agree, STL is a long term commitment. Gotta put the work in there.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds