Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

The Athletic Interview with Nick Henrich (1 Viewer)

dom91932

Cornerback
Elite Member

By Mitch Sherman
Jan 3, 2024

LINCOLN, Neb. — Nick Henrich played his final snap of football in overtime at Wisconsin in November.

A fifth-year linebacker, Henrich suffered an ACL tear in his right knee while trying to spin free from a block during a fourth-down run by Braelon Allen before the Badgers scored the go-ahead touchdown in a 24-17 victory against Nebraska.

On the previous play, Henrich blitzed and ran through Allen to pressure quarterback Tanner Mordecai into an incompletion. But in the aftermath of the injury, Henrich knew it was over. He fell awkwardly to the turf and pounded his left hand in agony against the ground. Thirteen months earlier, Henrich had torn the same ligament in a loss at Purdue.

Already without stable PCLs in both of his knees from prior football injuries, Henrich considered giving up the game during his rehab from the surgery a year ago. But the 2022 team captain came back, buoyed by the support of teammates and the Nebraska staff, and recorded 42 tackles with 4.5 tackles for loss in 2023. The Huskers voted in August to award Henrich with a single-digit jersey number, presented to players who best show toughness and leadership.

The Omaha Burke graduate announced less than two weeks after his second major knee injury that he would retire from football, setting aside his NFL dream and the opportunity to return to Nebraska for 2024.

Henrich was a four-time academic All-Big Ten selection. He earned a bachelor’s degree in psychology in May 2022. Recently, he talked with The Athletic about his decision and the experience of playing for the Huskers through the coaching transition to Matt Rhule.

Answers have been edited lightly for length.

How did you reach the decision to retire?

I’m still coming to grips with it. For me, it was a matter of my long-term health after having conversations with doctors and trainers about how messed up my knee is and why these problems keep happening. With this (second) surgery, the complications wouldn’t go away. It would be a pretty big risk going back out there and playing 60 snaps a game. I know I made the right decision, but it didn’t make it any easier.

What was in your plans before the latest injury?

I definitely didn’t think this would be my last year. I was planning on having a pro day, seeing how that went and trying out the next level. But after this happened to the same leg again, it would be a whole year and then some to come back. That ruled out next year. Not having a PCL in my right knee or my left one, it leads to instability and a lack of options for a strong, healthy repair. It made the most sense to call it a career.

How did you process this injury in the moment?

Right when it happened, I knew it re-tore it. I was pissed at the world for a little bit. But then you kind of calm down. Even later that night, I was feeling grateful for everything. I still felt like I got to have my senior year. I wanted to prove I could come back from the first ACL better. I think I did that. I can go to sleep and know I gave it everything I had and feel comfortable with being done.

You’ve talked of finding balance and spirituality in your life with help from teammate Luke Reimer. In what ways is that change guiding you forward?

If I didn’t have that, I would be a lost man. I’m really blessed not to have my identity tied only to this sport. I feel like that’s what I had before. And if I still had my identity all in football, I’d be in a bad place right now. Don’t get me wrong, it still sucks sometimes, but I’m excited for what’s next to come and the career I’ve had.

Where else did you find support in your time at Nebraska?

I could go on for a while and not name all the guys who helped me out. For sure, my roommates like Garrett Nelson and Blaise Gunnerson. Coach (Ron) Brown has been huge in helping me. Same with both of my position coaches. (Barrett) Ruud and (Rob) Dvoracek were just fantastic. I don’t think I could have picked two better guys to help me through injuries and hurdles and obstacles in life.

What’s next?

That’s a great question. I’m going to intern for the athletic department and learn the business side of it. I’m excited for that and lucky that I do have a plan. For a good year, I’ve thought that was what I wanted to do. And (athletic director) Turd (Alberts) is such a great guy. He was always like, “Of course, whatever you need, we’ll help you out.”

What was your experience in spending time around Rhule and his staff over the past year?

Anytime in college when there’s a coaching change, it’s tough for the players. But just how (Rhule) came in and put his arm around all of us, we were his guys. Even though he didn’t recruit us, we clicked well with him. It was a tough year, obviously, with all the close losses coming at the end, but I really do know that this program is in a better place.

How did you feel about the program a year ago?

The biggest thought a lot of us had was, “OK, we’ve never played in this system.” We thought (the new coaches) were going to bring guys in to play for them and not really consider us. That couldn’t have been further from the truth. It didn’t take very long to understand what kind of men they were and what kind of people they were.

Even while they were recruiting (the 2023 class), they made a big emphasis to get to know us. That was surprising and really big of them, and it made the transition a lot easier when they started coaching. We felt like we knew them.

As a former recruit out of Omaha, what do you think of Rhule’s work to emphasize the state of Nebraska in his first two signing classes?

I think they realize how much Nebraska kids love this program and how tough they are. (The coaches) know what they’re going to get out of them. Making it a priority is a huge thing. We’ve let a lot of talent get away these last few years. It’s great to have a focus on getting those guys, because they deserve it.

What did you learn about defensive coordinator Tony White?

He’s outstanding. I can’t say enough good things about him. He’s probably the most hands-on coordinator I’ve been around. He’s always doing something to look to get better. He’s just so smart and was able to put us in position to make plays. He’ll never take credit for it, but his mind, as far as recognizing formations and tendencies, is second to none.

Why did you enjoy playing in White’s defensive system?

I love how much we blitzed and how chaotic it was. It helped all three levels of the defense make plays and make tackles. As D-linemen in some systems, you can get eaten up by double teams or kind of play like robots. But in this one, they were allowed to cut loose and go make plays.

How did you view the decisions of veterans Ty Robinson, Bryce Benhart and Isaac Gifford to return?

A lot of guys had tough decisions to make. They had to think about what’s best for them. For guys like Bryce, Giff and John (Bullock), it made sense to come back another year. That’s a testament to this staff and a testament to how much the older guys believe in it and want to be a part of it.

Watching them play another year is going to be fun for me. It’ll be my first time as a fan. I think there’s going to be a big jump and they’re going to see a lot of success next year.

What do you see as your legacy in Lincoln?

I’m most proud of how I handled the ups and downs. You’re going to remember some games and plays. But at the end of the day, there’s no greater honor than being voted as a leader by your teammates. So I’ll cherish that forever.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds