Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Student loans (1 Viewer)

That SOB Van Owen

In Mombasa drinkinā€™ gin
Elite Member
tPB OG
Should have made minimum payments and invested the difference. Stock market has been crushing it the last five years. Debt = good.

HuskerPAC

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
Should have made minimum payments and invested the difference. Stock market has been crushing it the last five years. Debt = good.
Iā€™ve still been investing since I was 26. Can start ramping that up more now. I heard both arguments and felt I was doing enough to invest as it was. For my own peace of mind I preferred to not owe anyone money.

BingoDingo

Absolute Idiot
Iā€™ve still been investing since I was 26. Can start ramping that up more now. I heard both arguments and felt I was doing enough to invest as it was. For my own peace of mind I preferred to not owe anyone money.
I've basically done minimum payments and invested...not because of interest differential, but because I'm banking on the libs forgiving the rest of my student loans.

kenyanfeline

Pussy Patrol
Insider
Elite Member
I've basically done minimum payments and invested...not because of interest differential, but because I'm banking on the libs forgiving the rest of my student loans.
Exactly what Iā€™m doing lol. The pendulum will keep swinging further left and further right each election for the foreseeable future. Since I canā€™t do anything about it and my opinion doesnā€™t really matter, I figure Iā€™ll just take advantage personally of whatever happens the best I can.

That SOB Van Owen

Elite Member
tPB OG
Depends on rates. A lot of grad school rates are 5-7% so the difference wouldnā€™t have been great.

Market has been 10%+ the last five years. This year alone was over 17%, and it was 30% in 2019.

refi rates are very low right now. You can easily refinance any student loan at a low rate - I just did mine a couple months ago at 3.5%. Iā€™ve refinanced it three times, each time going down from my 7.8% I had on my grad school loans.

Itā€™s really a no brainer.

ThomOsborneMD

NFL PICKEM CHAMP
Elite Member
tPB OG
Market has been 10%+ the last five years. This year alone was over 17%, and it was 30% in 2019.
refi rates are very low right now. You can easily refinance any student loan at a low rate - I just did mine a couple months ago at 3.5%. Iā€™ve refinanced it three times, each time going down from my 7.8% I had on my grad school loans.

Depends how important being debt free is to you I suppose. Arguments either way for sure

That SOB Van Owen

Elite Member
tPB OG
Depends how important being debt free is to you I suppose. Arguments either way for sure

Iā€™m a numbers guy. I get the ā€œpeace of mindā€ side, but I follow the math. Iā€™m also a huge believer in leveraging and taking risks while you are young.

ThomOsborneMD

NFL PICKEM CHAMP
Elite Member
tPB OG
Iā€™m a numbers guy. I get the ā€œpeace of mindā€ side, but I follow the math. Iā€™m also a huge believer in leveraging and taking risks while you are young.
That makes sense and I get it. But Iā€™m with PAC, investing some now but putting big chunks to student loans then will just put the rest towards investing when theyā€™re paid off. Think roughly will come out close to the same in the end but who knows

Faux Sean Callahan

Head Coach
Insider
tPB OG

I mean look at the nasdaq this year 43% 2020šŸ’°šŸ’°šŸ’°

I do get the mental state paying those damn things off would give somebody, but when you put it on paper I agree with you

LoudHogRider

Yells at Clouds
Elite Member
tPB OG
I worked my way through college driving a truck and made decent money for a college kid back in the late 70's/early 80's doing that, so I never really needed the student loan $$$ as tuition rates and cost of living were a shyte ton lower back then than they are now. I decided to take out one $3K student loan (max allowed back then) as "mad money / party money" and unfortunately I received it right before the "lock of the year" came through from an East Coast betting service several guys in my fraternity house were "subscribing" to. So naturally, I did the smart thing and put the entire $3K on the upcoming "lock of the year" MNF game in favor of Buffalo.

The Bills - favored by 7.5 points - rewarded my savvy investing by getting the shit kicked out of them. IIRC, they fumbled the opening kickoff for a "scoop-n-score", then Jim Kelly tossed a pick six on a screen pass on the 2nd or 3rd play from scrimmage. It didn't get any closer as the game went on. There were guys in our "TV room" at the house that legitimately needed the $$$ for school, rent, food, etc. Collectively, we lost $17K on that game in the room that night and it was a morose and depressed group.

I did the only thing I could think of to do: I stood up and delivered a drunken, stupid Blutarsky-esque speech about "never in the history of our fraternity have so few lost so much on a single football game. This calls for a celebration. Let's go to the bar and I'm buying!" So we all trudged out of the house and walked down to the Chicago Bar and drank until they threw us out at closing time. My brothers celebrated by "leadership under crisis" by electing me fraternity President the next Sunday. True story.

In the memo field of the checks I scratched out to pay off that student loan, I always wrote, "Buffalo - Monday Night" as a reminder to myself of my stupidity. I haven't gambled* since, so it may have been money well lost at a formative stage in my life.

* This "no gambling" statement does not include unprotected sects or the stock market

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds