Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Some thoughts on the Illinois game (1 Viewer)

Tsakoi

Running Back
Elite Member
We have known for a while that our roster is a hodge podge of ill fitting components. If you didn't know that then just watch us play, it's pretty evident.

1:Totally raw QB.
2: Undersized primary receiver.
3: TE coming off two major injuries for his first action.
4:OTs that would be at best back ups on most of the other teams in our conference.
5: Freshman or walk-ons pressed into duty out of necessity.
6: Castaways from other programs in the 2 deep.
7: Season ending or season altering injuries to key players.

Despite all of that we are 3-3 and could have seriously been 4-2. That is some Rhule voodoo. I don't think Matt Campbell, Dave Aranda or a long list of other coaches could have pulled this off. Scott Frost would have been passed out on a barstool somewhere by now.

Are there some things to fix? Plenty. But last night's game was one we usually lose and we didn't. I said during the week that we just needed any kind of "W" and we did it. I actually think it's a pretty valuable win in terms of the lessons learned by the young team. Now let's heal up on the bye week.

Notes:

Someone tell Ben Scott to stop nailing guys after the play.

Someone tell Teddy Prochazka that he has the uncanny ability to make Turner Corcoran look useful.

Someone tell the ball that when we block a punt it needs to fly backwards next time. I think we have blocked two that still passed the line of scrimmage. FML.

Someone tell the Big 10 refs that they can call holding on other teams besides Nebraska. Saw a few of our defensive lineman giving guys piggyback rides for crying out loud.

nscottie

Running Back
Elite Member
We have known for a while that our roster is a hodge podge of ill fitting components. If you didn't know that then just watch us play, it's pretty evident.

4:OTs that would be at best back ups on most of the other teams in our conference.

Despite all of that we are 3-3 and could have seriously been 4-2. That is some Rhule voodoo. I don't think Matt Campbell, Dave Aranda or a long list of other coaches could have pulled this off. Scott Frost would have been passed out on a barstool somewhere by now.

Are there some things to fix? Plenty. But last night's game was one we usually lose and we didn't. I said during the week that we just needed any kind of "W" and we did it. I actually think it's a pretty valuable win in terms of the lessons learned by the young team. Now let's heal up on the bye week.

Notes:

Someone tell Teddy Prochazka that he has the uncanny ability to make Turner Corcoran look useful.

Someone tell the ball that when we block a punt it needs to fly backwards next time. I think we have blocked two that still passed the line of scrimmage. FML.

Someone tell the Big 10 refs that they can call holding on other teams besides Nebraska. Saw a few of our defensive lineman giving guys piggyback rides for crying out loud.
Great takes. Appreciate that you acknowledge the imperfections but also the positive. TOS is a cesspool of negativity.

God is a Husker

Pussy Posse
tPB OG
My main take away from that game is that in Year 1 Rhule has made a team with little talent and experience into a Big 10 West caliber team.

AKA: good enough to win 4 conference games and go to a shitty bowl game.

Which is the bare minimum we had asked for from Riley and Frost. And which both coaches after several years at the helm were unable to provide.

the Bill Snyder method: build a “floor” of 6 wins and a bowl trip and improve on that. It sounds obvious but Frost did not understand this concept.

Eloot224

Running Back
Elite Member
That first series goal line stance was HUGE. Illinois scores their it couid have been an entirely different ball game knowing our teams weak psyche. That whole team needed that stop and they got it. Big time

GBR!

Seaofred92

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
Nebrasketball
I did not get a chance to watch the game live last night (except for the last 4 drives of the game which was hysterical) as I am in Columbia, MO with my dad who went to Mizzou for the LSU/Mizzou game. It’s his first time in CoMo in over 30 years - quick aside, if you can take a trip with your dad to wherever he is from or went to school and he can show you things from his previous life, absolutely do it. This has been such a cool Father/Son experience for my dad and I together.

Onto thoughts from Nebraska/Illinois and the battle of imperfection…

What I am most proud of is that DESPITE the imperfection- the team still bowed up and did enough to win. Thinking back to Minnesota, the team completely unraveled on defense when the offense had the two crippling turnovers at the end of the game and we lost by 3. Nebraska tried to repeat the Minnesota game offensively in the Fourth Quarter last night and the defense didn’t allow for it to happen. This is EXACTLY what Rhule has been preaching about the team “picking each other up” and playing their best in the Fourth Quarter.

We are as B1G West as a B1G West team can be- we lined up all 11 guys basically inside the hashes at one point in a late Fourth Quarter drive- but it is awesome. Rhule is doing what he needs to to try to win games. We all know long term they need more skill players, upgrades on the OL, etc, but he’s squeezing every bit of juice out of this team and raising the bar, enabling belief into a group of guys that previously had none. I’m glad this staff is here and that HCMR is leading the charge- if we are patient, we will resemble the type of hardworking, consistent, aggressive team that makes Nebraskans proud (regardless of what that means for our overall record in future years).

Drue629

Safety
tPB OG
Pick'Em Champion
I'm happy with the progress and happy with the win but luck was on our side last night. I don't know why, maybe the simulation didn't realize the game was on Friday. HH almost threw 10 interceptions. Eventually, those are going to catch up with him.

Nice to see Chi(is that what we're calling him) get a catch.

NSECTA4

Safety
Elite Member
On vacation and watched the game on my phone. My gf asked if we won. Told her yeah, but it was damn ugly.

But also, over the last 8 years we’ve been losing the ugly games.

I’m prone to dissect and pick everything apart. Just relieved we were able to *win ugly.

EDIT: *win ugly. So used to losing, that’s what I initially typed

Last edited:

HuskerDocCo

100 & havin fun GBR !!
tPB OG

Notes:

gawd damit Flash i knew you’d be postin at 3am !!

Toe

Wide Receiver
I need to hang on to this reaction pic.

giphy.gif

Mr.Bojangles

Offensive Lineman

Notes:

That's a hard thing to do make Corcoran look useful that guy is terrible.

KidsSeeGhosts

Quarterback
Elite Member
Only one team (only the no. 2 team in the country) has topped 100 rushing yards against us this season and the high watermark for yards per carry in those games is 2.2. Insane defensive improvement YoY, esp considering the number of injuries and general turnover from last year.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds