Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Scott Frost final year at UCF (3 Viewers)

huskerj12

Wide Receiver
tPB OG
Man, he really seemed like an entirely different person at UCF. His brain popped when he arrived in Lincoln, it's a shame.

Also, here's the corresponding video with some of Frost's interviews that went into the article. Surreal to see him just chilling on a beach somewhere haha. Is this the first thing he's done publicly since he got fired? He actually seems well in this interview, clearly he was a mess while he was at NU but I still hope he can get his head on straight and find peace being a stay at home dad or something.

Fascinating quote here too, about deciding to leave UCF for NU:

"That was a tough decision for all of us. Looking back, I think a lot of people would have done a lot of things different through that time. What’s tough about making decisions like that is the timing that they come. You have to make those decisions in the middle of the season when you’re tired, when you’re exhausted. All I’ll say is, I can’t really describe to you how emotional I was because I don’t think my heart really wanted to leave. UCF was a special place to me then and it always will be."

Last edited:

Stan Raymond

Cornerback

We can all agree we are glad he’s gone, but thought this was an interesting read
He was a completely different coach here. He should have stayed at UCF, just never seemed happy to be at Nebraska, or even comfortable and was the antithesis of "No Fear of Failure", he coached scared the whole time he was here. Some coaches aren't made for major college football and all that it entails and should stay at and flourish at the G5 level, Frost and Solich are two examples.

lee_carvallo_12

Quarterback
Elite Member
tPB OG
It just felt like the greatest hire of all time and then 💩
It seemed like in his mind he had to change his coaching style and philosophy at DONU. He had to be more stoic like Tom, had to be more reserved on the sidelines. Had to be more conservative to fit the great teams of the 70's, 80's and 90's. He was none of those things at UCF and it worked.

huskerj12

Wide Receiver
tPB OG
It seemed like in his mind he had to change his coaching style and philosophy at DONU. He had to be more stoic like Tom, had to be more reserved on the sidelines. Had to be more conservative to fit the great teams of the 70's, 80's and 90's. He was none of those things at UCF and it worked.
Yup he was comfortable in his own skin at UCF (the way Rhule is wherever he goes), and at NU he clearly felt like he had to fit inside the boxes just like you described. And it broke his brain when it didn't work haha.

After 5 years I still never felt like I knew Frost's personality or values or likes/dislikes or any of that, other than the coachspeak he would drone out in monotone press conferences. The only time I ever felt like I was seeing the "real Frost" was in 2017 when he was at UCF, and especially in their behind-the-scenes YouTube series. I was so hyped to have that guy here, and he never showed up. NU Frost just had his head in the clouds.

I don't know how much sympathy he deserves, obviously he got paid a ton of money to faceplant spectacularly and obviously he was neglectful at best when he controlled the program. But especially seeing that new quote, it's pretty clear that he never wanted this job, he just felt insurmountable pressure to take it, and he destroyed his career because he had no idea how to handle it.

Someday after like a decade has passed and we're awesome at football again, if Frost figures out how to be humble and reflect on his shortcomings, it would be really interesting to hear his take on it all.

Poor_and_Stupid

Prolific Beaver Murderer
Elite Member
Yup he was comfortable in his own skin at UCF (the way Rhule is wherever he goes), and at NU he clearly felt like he had to fit inside the boxes just like you described. And it broke his brain when it didn't work haha.

After 5 years I still never felt like I knew Frost's personality or values or likes/dislikes or any of that, other than the coachspeak he would drone out in monotone press conferences. The only time I ever felt like I was seeing the "real Frost" was in 2017 when he was at UCF, and especially in their behind-the-scenes YouTube series. I was so hyped to have that guy here, and he never showed up. NU Frost just had his head in the clouds.

I don't know how much sympathy he deserves, obviously he got paid a ton of money to faceplant spectacularly and obviously he was neglectful at best when he controlled the program. But especially seeing that new quote, it's pretty clear that he never wanted this job, he just felt insurmountable pressure to take it, and he destroyed his career because he had no idea how to handle it.

Someday after like a decade has passed and we're awesome at football again, if Frost figures out how to be humble and reflect on his shortcomings, it would be really interesting to hear his take on it all.
The Simulation™ reprogrammed Frost to fail miserably here. Simple as that. It will be fascinating to see if it rolls him back to his previous software, or if it will leave him on this version of shittiness.

Jim14510

GOD MOD
Admin
Elite Member
tPB OG
Mckenzie Milton served as a catalyst for their program transformation, yet still, his UCF teams struggled with persistent penalty issues and defensive challenges. Milton's prowess often masked the underlying deficiencies in Frost's coaching approach.
There's truth to that but Milton wasn't the lone reason for success.

MtnHusker

Heisman Winner
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG
Mckenzie Milton served as a catalyst for their program transformation, yet still, his UCF teams struggled with persistent penalty issues and defensive challenges. Milton's prowess often masked the underlying deficiencies in Frost's coaching approach.
He definitely had some Difference Makers on that team. Gabe Davis, Shaquem Griffin, Mike Hughes, Trequan Smith, Jordan Atkins, Jamiyus Pittman, Jordan Franks, Trysten Hill, Nevelle Clark, Richie Grant, Kalia Davis, Matthew Wright, Aaron Robinson Alex Ward, Cole Schneider, Otis Anderson jr and Adrian Killins all at least had a Cup of Coffee in the NFL. Many were high draft picks that have been multi year NFL Starters. Frost inherited some serious talent when he took over that UCF team and he also brought in some good players. Some had some dirty laundry, like 1st RD Pick DB Mike Hughes who was charged with Assault Charges at North Carolina so ended up at JUCO. That prevented the big boys from going after him.

Mackenzie Milton truly was the engine that drove the offense. Perfect cerebral QB that could make very quick reads, move and throw accurately. He was everything that Adrian Martinez wasn't.

Irv

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
I'm more of the mind that year 2 UCF was a fluke. Maybe he was "different," but there's no way he just out of nowhere became the clown that we saw here.

I like Bruce Feldman's theory that Frost went into UCF after O'Leary, who was an asshole, and loosened things up and got players on board. Here, he inherited a lax environment and loosening things up was unnecessary and unwise, so he had no real levers to pull. One trick pony.

...TrueColors...

Graduate Assistant
Insider
One of the last conversations I was apart of with @BIGSTICK67 , @LoudHogRider , and the late @BBTown Bomber was about how Frost never really was a good fit here. But he was a fantastic story for the media.

There was a time at the 11th hour of our dealings with Frost and his agent that Frost was having massive second thoughts about taking this job. In late September of 2017, I was told Frost wanted nothing to do with this job.

My feelings on the situation are kind of layered. I think everyone would be better off now if Frost would have listened to his gut and stayed at UCF. But I also think him coming here and failing had to happen so we wouldn’t constantly be chasing him as our white buffalo every time we changed coaches.

Stan Raymond

Cornerback
One of the last conversations I was apart of with @BIGSTICK67 , @LoudHogRider , and the late @BBTown Bomber was about how Frost never really was a good fit here. But he was a fantastic story for the media.

There was a time at the 11th hour of our dealings with Frost and his agent that Frost was having massive second thoughts about taking this job. In late September of 2017, I was told Frost wanted nothing to do with this job.

My feelings on the situation are kind of layered. I think everyone would be better off now if Frost would have listened to his gut and stayed at UCF. But I also think him coming here and failing had to happen so we wouldn’t constantly be chasing him as our white buffalo every time we changed coaches.
You are right Frost was a terrible fit here. Way to many folks mistake fit for being an alum or having some past connection with the program, when it's more about a coach's personality and approach to the job. Open and honest goes a long ways in Nebraska, if you want to be guarded and secretive then you'll have more luck at a school like USC. Some HCs just fit in better with the culture of the fans and the program than others, Frost fit in terrible at Nebraska.

CornFed Gregger

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
Ppl show their true colors when faced with adversity. I remember when frost was hired & I talked to a guy that played on UNI who described frost as a douche & it seems a lot of ppl shared his view over the years. Not to mention everyone here describes his bff as being the same.

Shit was going great at Oregon & UCF then shit got hard & he showed you who he really was. He walked into that former players greeting after his intro presser, talked his bs, then Steve Taylor said he basically had a fuck u all attitude cuz he didn’t believe they supported him. I don’t think frost even has players in his corner like Bo & the ones that are, are probably the rah rah idiots like Garrett Nelson

Turn Down for What

Running Back
Elite Member
Frost thought he was god's gift to Nebraska when we hired him.

He came in arrogant as all get out and it was evident.

There were SO MANY rumors when he was here. Were some bullshit? Of course. That's just some horse shit fan that got tired of Frost and he thought be starting rumors that would derail the frosted one. It happens with every fanbase.

But I'm always willing to bet some of those rumors were true. Some of them just made too much sense. Why? Because it showed on the field. Frost wasn't just bad here. He was fucking horrific. And there were still idiots who defended him all the way until his final hour here. Hell, there probably still are people that defend him.

He caught lightening in a bottle with UCF. That's it.

HerbRedman

Quarterback
Elite Member
tPB OG
What's crazy about that is that if any coach would know how well he could fit into Nebraska's culture, it was Frost.
But not really though. One characteristic of a DONU HC is you're supposed to lift up the entire state. You're supposed to be a beloved celebrity when you walk in to places like Omaha North HS, Bellevue West HS, Central HS....in addition to places like Grand Island, Beatrice, Kearney, etc. Frost couldn't even get that part of it right.

No Nebraska HC should ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever find themselves in a situation where they're hated at any of our local HSs. That's an embarrassment.

Rhule gets it. Riley got it. Mickey Joseph got it (before we found out he was a creep).

Job #1 as DONU HC is you respect the entire state, embrace the entire state and lift up the entire state. Frost couldn't even get past job requirement #1!

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds