Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Recipes (1 Viewer)

Jim14510

GOD MOD
Admin
Elite Member
tPB OG
Well, let's do something "useful". Here’s a fantastic Hot Wing recipe from LSU Mark from tMB:

Ingredients

• 2-3 habanero pepper, seeded and chopped (leaves seeds for spicier marinade)
  • 3-4 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped (I leave seeds)
  • 3-4 serranno peppers, seeded and chopped (I leave seeds)
  • 1 1/2 cups soy sauce
  • 2-5 good squeezes of honey
  • 4 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
  • 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
  • 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 1 -2 tablespoons crushed red pepper
  • 1 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 2 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 2 scallions, chopped
  • 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
  • 2-3 fresh limes juiced
  • 2 fresh oranges juiced
  • 1/2 stick butter
  • 3 pounds chicken wings

Directions

Combine the habanero, japs/serrano peppers, soy sauce, honey, both sugars, cayenne, red pepper, thyme, ginger, garlic and scallions in a blender. Add the vinegar, lime juice and orange juice and blend until smooth.

Place the wings in a large resealable plastic bag and pour the marinade over them. Seal and refrigerate 4 to 6 hours (don't shorten - at least 4 hours).

Heat grill on high and get it as hot as it will go.

Pour marinade in a heavy sauce pan and add half stick of butter. Reduce by 1/3 - 1/2.

Photos

TJ9joB9.jpg

mkSEINy.jpg

znYY19t.jpg

Q&A

Q: On this wing recipe, are you keeping the marinade you reduce separate from the marinade on the wings? Most recipes I've seen say to dump excess marinades that have been in contact with uncooked meat.

A: No, pour the marinade from the chicken in a pan with a 1/2 stick of butter. Heat that and reduce by 1/2, then mop that on the wings when they are on the

Jim14510

GOD MOD
Admin
Elite Member
tPB OG
About the only time I use the air fryer is breakfast burritos. Ingredients are whatever you want in a breakfast burrito. I do:

Scrambled eggs
Ground sausage
Shredded cheese
Portobello mushrooms chopped up and sautéed
Various peppers chopped up and sautéed

Wrap in tortilla i like Mi Mamas because its a little thicker and doesn't tear easy
Wrap in aluminum foil and put in freezer bag to freeze. Obviously you can just eat too but I make a whole bunch of ingredients. Everybody in the family makes their own and writes on the aluminum foil. The freezing helps when you're reheating in air fryer or microwave to keep it together. Much better in the air fryer than microwave.

LoudHogRider

Yells at Clouds
Elite Member
tPB OG
Much like the non-attributed Hot Wing recipe shown above (it's from "LSU Mark), this recipe was lifted from an old tMB thread on "favorite recipes". A number of these were Cajun recipes, which means they're spicy to the Midwestern palate (ass on fire) but the ones I've made have been "tolerable" in that regard. YMMV. Enjoy!

Recipe - Chicken Sausage Étouffée (Jotay21)
  • 3 lbs chicken thighs (or 50/50 breast and thigh) skinless, deboned (I only use thighs) cut into cubes
  • 2 lbs smoked sausage - cut in 1"
  • 3 quarts chicken stock
  • 1 cup veg oil
  • 1 cup flour
  • 2 -3 med white onions, diced
  • 1 green bell pepper, diced
  • 1 red bell pepper, diced
  • 1 clove garlic, diced fine
  • 2 bunch green onions
  • 1 bunch parsley
  • Salt, pepper and cajun seasoning to taste
  • Hot sauce
In a cast iron dutch oven, heat some oil over medium-high heat. Season chicken (I use Slap Ya Momma) and brown the chicken. You will need to do in batches.

Sear off the sausage. You want to cook it till the fat renders out. Remove sausage.

Add the veggie oil (depending on how much oil released from sausage, about a cup).

Do this over a med heat to med-low heat.

Sprinkle in flour. (use a wire whisk - I find it will even out the flour better). Stir constantly until roux darkens to a caramel color. Do not allow roux to scorch - keep stirring. A good deep roux will take 40-60 mins. Did I mention to keep stirring - keep stirring.

When roux is color you want, add onions, bell pepper and garlic.

Sauté until vegetables are wilted add some salt, pepper and cajun seasoning.

Some folks wilt the vegs first then make the roux once they are wilted down. You can do that, but I can't get a good roux doing it that way.

Add chicken and sausage back. Let them meld with veggies and roux for a couple mins.

Slowly add stock, one ladle at a time, stirring constantly until all is incorporated. Warm your stock - don't add cold stock to hot roux - it will never mix.

Bring to a low boil for about 5-10 mins. Then reduce to simmer and cook approximately 60 minutes at the least. I let mine simmer 2-3 hours at a minimum.

Add green onions and parsley. Taste it here - may need to season and add hot sauce here (I do 6-8 shakes). Serve over rice.

lh2R7uI.jpg

IowkAxR.jpg

LoudHogRider

Yells at Clouds
Elite Member
tPB OG
Recipe - Homemade Runzas

1 package / 5 loaves frozen bread
- Thaw and cut into 4 or 5 pieces each

3 lbs. hamburger
1 medium chopped onion
- Brown & drain

3 cups shredded cabbage
1/4 tsp garlic salt
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
- Simmer on medium for 5 minutes
- Roll out bread on a floured surface to a 5-6” oval
- Fill with 2-3 tablespoons of mix
- Fold over sides and ends under

Place on greased cookie sheet and allow to rise for 1-2 hours

Brush with 2 tablespoons of melted butter

Bake 20-30 minutes (or until golden brown) at 350 degrees

Enjoy!

LoudHogRider

Yells at Clouds
Elite Member
tPB OG
Recipe - Smoked Chili (Treez Nuts)

Found this a couple of years ago, and has won many a chili cook off. Make sure you remove sausage casing. After the meat is smoked, you can cook the rest inside for convenience. The smoked meat is the key

Ingredients:
  • Olive Oil
  • 1.5 lb. ground Chuck
  • 1 lb. Italian Sausage (casing removed)
  • 2 cups Onion (chopped)
  • 1 Green Bell Pepper (seeded and chopped)
  • 2 Jalapeno Chiles (seeded and chopped fine)
  • 1-2 Serrano Chiles (seeded and chopped fine)
  • 2 Tbs. Garlic (minced)
  • 1 (28 oz.) can Diced Tomatoes and liquid
  • 1 (15 oz.) can Diced Tomatoes and liquid
  • 1 can Rotel
  • 2 cans (15 oz. each) Pinto or Dark Kidney Beans (drained)
  • 3 Tbs. Chili Powder
  • 1 Tbs. Ancho Chile Powder
  • 1.5 Tbs. ground Cumin
  • 1 tsp. Cocoa Powder
  • 1 tsp. ground Cinnamon
  • 2 Bay Leaves
  • 1 tsp. Tabasco Sauce
  • 1 tsp. dried Oregano
  • 3 Tbs. Dizzy Pig's Cow Lick Steak Rub
  • 2 cups Beef Broth
  • 1 cup Dry Red Wine
  • 2-3 dried Chili Peppers (chipotle, ancho, etc.) to float on top
  • Salt and fresh ground Pepper to taste
  • Wood Chunks
Preheat your Egg to 350° with inverted plate setter (legs up).

Setup.jpg

Place dutch oven in the egg on the plate setter and add 2 Tbs. olive oil.

Add the ground chuck and sausage (break up into smaller pieces with a wooden spoon).

Add 2 or 3 fist-sized chunks of wood to coals.

Meat.jpg

Close lid and cook for about 1 hour, stirring every 10-15 minutes.

Remove dutch oven from egg, remove meat and drain on paper towels.

Wipe dutch oven dry with paper towels.

Return dutch oven to egg, add more olive oil and saute´ onions, green pepper, jalapenos, and serrano(s) until limp. Add garlic and continue cooking for 2-3 minutes.

Veggies.jpg

Add remaining ingredients and cook, uncovered, for about 2 hours (add water as needed to prevent drying).

AllIngredients.jpg

Note : After the mixture starts to simmer, you can reduce the dome temperature to 300-325 degrees.

Remove bay leaves, dried chiles, correct seasoning and serve.

LoudHogRider

Yells at Clouds
Elite Member
tPB OG
Steak Marinade

1/4 Cup - Whiskey
1/2 Cup - Soy Sauce
1 Tablespoon - Worcestershire Sauce
3 Tablespoons - Olive Oil
1 Tablespoon - Fresh Garlic
1 Squirt of Lemon Juice

Mix ingredients and pour over meat.

For tougher cuts like flank steak, slice into thin strips and let the meat marinade overnight. For tender cuts (Ribeye, NY Strip, etc.), cover and let marinade for 1-2 hours.

Grill to choice (medium rare unless yore a phaggot).

LoudHogRider

Yells at Clouds
Elite Member
tPB OG
It’s tomato soup and celery seed. My recipe is way way better for a sweet salad dressing
Very non-Keto though, Tony. It's January; New Year's weight loss and fitness commitments abound (for the next 12 days or so). Try and show a little sensitivity, will ya? :rolleyes: ;)

SoCal_Corn

Wide Receiver

Kung Pao Chicken​

Yield: Serves 4

Prep Time: 30 minutes

Cook Time: 20 minutes

Ingredients​

For the chicken and sauce:​

• 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch chunks
  • 1/4 cup tamari or soy sauce
  • 1 tablespoon Shaoxing wine or dry sherry
  • 1 tablespoon cornstarch
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
  • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground white or black pepper
  • 1 tablespoon Chinese black or rice vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
  • 1 tablespoon sambal oelek or chile-garlic paste

For the stir-fry:​

• 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
  • 2 medium bell peppers, large dice
  • 2 medium celery stalks, thinly sliced on a slight diagonal
  • Kosher salt
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 tablespoon peeled and minced fresh ginger (from a 1-inch piece)
  • 1/2 cup roasted peanuts
  • 2 medium scallions, thinly sliced (optional)
  • Steamed rice, for serving (optional)

Equipment​

Instructions​

1. Marinate the chicken. Place the chicken in a medium bowl. Place the tamari or soy sauce, wine or sherry, cornstarch, sesame oil, salt, and pepper in a small bowl and whisk until the cornstarch is dissolved. Drizzle 2 tablespoons of the mixture over the chicken and toss to combine; set the chicken aside.
  2. Make the sauce. Add the vinegar, sugar, and sambal to the remaining marinade and whisk until the sugar is dissolved; set this sauce aside.
  3. Stir-fry the vegetables and aromatics. Heat a flat-bottomed wok or large frying pan over medium-high heat until very hot (a flick of water should sizzle and evaporate right away), about 2 minutes. Drizzle in 1 tablespoon of the oil, add the bell peppers and celery, and season with salt. Stir-fry with a metal spatula until crisp-tender and browned in spots, about 4 minutes. Add the garlic and ginger and stir-fry until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Transfer to a plate.
  4. Stir-fry the chicken. Drizzle the remaining 2 tablespoons oil into the pan. Add the chicken and spread into an even layer. Let cook undisturbed until golden-brown and seared on the bottom, 3 to 4 minutes. Stir-fry until just cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes more.
  5. Return the vegetables to the pan and stir-fry with the sauce. Add the reserved vegetables and peanuts to the pan. Rewhisk the reserved sauce to dissolve the cornstarch. Pour into the pan and stir-fry until the sauce thickens, is glossy, and evenly coats everything in the pan, about 1 minute more. Sprinkle with the scallions if using and serve immediately with rice.

N_Fuego

Bench Warmer
Elite Member
That Kung Pao Chicken looks really good. I make a similar one but sub carrots for bell peppers, and add diced water chestnuts and sliced bamboo shoots. Plus 5-6 dried chilies.

fse5Wi55G8XJJ1X3glMtJLI9ICu2_pn1iFgJQlM1E_Yz4S8now_mjmYnRg06iLaH4O5Z11im0UE_w615-h615_1296x.jpg

SoCal_Corn

Wide Receiver
That Kung Pao Chicken looks really good. I make a similar one but sub carrots for bell peppers, and add diced water chestnuts and sliced bamboo shoots. Plus 5-6 dried chilies.

View attachment 1332

I've been searching for a good new Chinese place in AZ.
I try the kung pao as a TEST on each.
So far I am 0-3

Not a fan of carrots, and that's the dead give a way for me.
Old school places in LA never had carrots....but, to each his own.

I like the chili's a lot!

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds