Welcome to The Platinum Board

We are a Nebraska Husker fan community. Please either login or register for an account

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Random thoughts during Maryland week

Tsakoi

Running Back
Elite Member
1: James Williams is what we wanted Blaise Gunnerson to be. Difference is Blaise has been here for years while James has been here for a few months. If we didn't need bodies on the DL I'd think Blaise is a process candidate. Still might be.

2: Tommi Hill's play of late has me thinking we'll be ok at corner next year. That is if he keeps going the right direction and his antics don't get in the way.

3: Can Haarberg just give us one game without catastrophic mistakes so that we can get bowl eligible? 3 games left so he only has to go 1 for 3.

4: Anybody have an clue on Gabe's injury status? Has he given any indication of his future plans?

5: I've lost interest in Brix. Give his spot to a JUCO lineman that can help in 2024.

6: Same with RB. Forget the HS RBs and find a JUCO that can help next year. Then throw all your attention to a top 2025 guy.

7: Fleeks.... two things;
A: Why wasn't he moved back to WR to fill the Kemp role?
B: If he's gonna play RB, how is it we haven't thrown him the ball out of the backfield?
Just giving him some of Grant's carries seems like a lack of creativity.

HCMR admiration for Tommie Twinkle Toes and his football play is kind of mind bottling for me personally. Rhule’s high praise for him during his weekly press appearances just doesn’t add up for me. What am I missing on Tommies Gameday tapes?

Or is this just an example a great job of coaching player’s individually? Tommie is someone who needs that encouragement and/or praise to keep him engaged etc.? I know the year started off bad wirh HCMR and Tommie. If I remember correctly wasn’t he “suspended” or told to go take a few laps and reevaluate things/life at beginning of Fall Camp?

HCMR admiration for Tommie Twinkle Toes and his football play is kind of mind bottling for me personally. Rhule’s high praise for him during his weekly press appearances just doesn’t add up for me. What am I missing on Tommies Gameday tapes?

Or is this just an example a great job of coaching player’s individually? Tommie is someone who needs that encouragement and/or praise to keep him engaged etc.? I know the year started off bad wirh HCMR and Tommie. If I remember correctly wasn’t he “suspended” or told to go take a few laps and reevaluate things/life at beginning of Fall Camp?
Man, I think Hill has had nothing short of a career resurrection this year.

Man, I think Hill has had nothing short of a career resurrection this year.
Yes, agreed he’s now relevant this season and playing quality time. I guess its more the extra emphasis I feel Rhule puts on highlighting that resurrection. When there are a handful of players careers that have seen a resurrection this season under new staff. Just feel like Rhule makes a point to spot light Tommies rising.

Wonder if inside the locker room Tommie is the type that needs that constant reassurance. Definitely not knocking Tommie.

Reactions: Irv
1: James Williams is what we wanted Blaise Gunnerson to be. Difference is Blaise has been here for years while James has been here for a few months. If we didn't need bodies on the DL I'd think Blaise is a process candidate. Still might be.

2: Tommi Hill's play of late has me thinking we'll be ok at corner next year. That is if he keeps going the right direction and his antics don't get in the way.

3: Can Haarberg just give us one game without catastrophic mistakes so that we can get bowl eligible? 3 games left so he only has to go 1 for 3.

4: Anybody have an clue on Gabe's injury status? Has he given any indication of his future plans?

5: I've lost interest in Brix. Give his spot to a JUCO lineman that can help in 2024.

6: Same with RB. Forget the HS RBs and find a JUCO that can help next year. Then throw all your attention to a top 2025 guy.

7: Fleeks.... two things;
A: Why wasn't he moved back to WR to fill the Kemp role?
B: If he's gonna play RB, how is it we haven't thrown him the ball out of the backfield?
Just giving him some of Grant's carries seems like a lack of creativity.
1. Agree, but still early.

2. Tommi Hill is good, but is not consistently where we need him at for a corner.

3. Ha, maybe.

4. 3 years now that he gets hurt first half of the season. At this point, either recruit a transfer over him while showing him the door or risk him going down again in year 4, which is very likely.

5. We still go for Brix, but plan on not him being here. I think it's 40/40 Neb and OU with 20% to K-State.

6. Goes with number 4, but you either plan on Gabe not being good for his 4th year and then bring in a transfer/JUCO.

7a. Right now, our running game needs the bodies more.
7b. Would we trust HH to make that throw?

Perhaps you should think about how he has been jerked around that last 1.5 years and evaluate how he has responded to it. You're a starting corner, now you are a backup wide receiver, now you dont play, now you play both and return kicks, now your just a db. As all this stuff has happened his attitude has gotten better, not worse. He was not in a great place middle of last year and now he is 100% bought in and making big plays on defense. Sounds like someone who deserves the high praise to me.

I think Tommi is really coming into his own as a player and while it's still a work in progress he's got a lot of upside

Reactions: Irv
Perhaps you should think about how he has been jerked around that last 1.5 years and evaluate how he has responded to it. You're a starting corner, now you are a backup wide receiver, now you dont play, now you play both and return kicks, now your just a db. As all this stuff has happened his attitude has gotten better, not worse. He was not in a great place middle of last year and now he is 100% bought in and making big plays on defense. Sounds like someone who deserves the high praise to me.
Jerked around how?

Polar Bear
Singleton
Gbayor
Omar was a non factor coming from a stellar stint at Northern Cockeye. His play had been WELL above Tommies.

All made similar rises from the ashes after being “jerked around” during their time under an incompetent Staff and shit stack of a strength coach.

Jerked around how?

Polar Bear
Singleton
Gbayor
Omar was a non factor coming from a stellar stint at Northern Cockeye. His play had been WELL above Tommies.

All made similar rises from the ashes after being “jerked around” during their time under an incompetent Staff and shit stack of a strength coach.
Our weakness is definitely our secondary. If we do make a bowl game and play a solid pass team who can protect it will be a long day. Fortunately in the BIG we play mostly shit offenses. Little Tua could abuse us if he gets time, but I think we will beat the shit out of their line upfront, so hopefully he is running for his life.

Our weakness is definitely our secondary. If we do make a bowl game and play a solid pass team who can protect it will be a long day. Fortunately in the BIG we play mostly shit offenses. Little Tua could abuse us if he gets time, but I think we will beat the shit out of their line upfront, so hopefully he is running for his life.
Agreed. If Lil Tua gets that O in a good tempo moving the rock, he could pick this secondary apart. Hopefully, our dline is living in there backfield.
This secondary was burnt last week and burnt vs Purdoodoo thankfully the wind aided 2 INTs that couid have went for tuddies.

Has there been any word on Singleton and his return?

Agreed. If Lil Tua gets that O in a good tempo moving the rock, he could pick this secondary apart. Hopefully, our dline is living in there backfield.
This secondary was burnt last week and burnt vs Purdoodoo thankfully the wind aided 2 INTs that couid have went for tuddies.

Has there been any word on Singleton and his return?
The Purdoodoo receivers were garbage too. They dropped a lot of passes.

The Purdoodoo receivers were garbage too. They dropped a lot of passes.
Yeah they did. Think it was #4 had some drops and would still talk shit after. Then caught that TD with game in the books and still talking shit. Wild shit

Jerked around how?

Polar Bear
Singleton
Gbayor

I don't see anyone in your list there that has changed from a corner to a wr to a corner that plays wr some, to a maybe safety maybe corner. I would love to know how you think Polar Bear got jerked around, the others may or may not have been ready to play last year, none of us really know. Position switches are hard and usually set you back. It takes a lot of effort to learn one position, yet alone try to prepare to play a different position every week and every time you switch you fall behind. As Rhule has said multiple times Tommie will do whatever you ask him to if it helps the team, even if it means he is sacrificing his stability. Every single player on the team had to deal with the incompetent staff and strength coach that you mentioned. Nobody else has been moved from position to position over and over again.

I do think that perhaps Matt Rhule and the team know who is worthy of being recognized more then some message board warrior.

Theme customization system

You can customize some areas of the forum theme from this menu.

• Wide/Narrow view

You can control a structure that you can use to use your theme wide or narrow.

Grid view forum list

You can control the layout of the forum list in a grid or ordinary listing style structure.

Close sidebar

You can get rid of the crowded view in the forum by closing the sidebar.

Fixed sidebar

You can make it more useful and easier to access by pinning the sidebar.

• Color combinations cannot be used

Color combinations are not available to you, this area may be restricted by administrators. Please contact the administrator for more information.

Color gradient backgrounds
Back