Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Quick Hits Tuesday Press Conference (1 Viewer)

vailhusker

Heisman Winner
Insider

Husker Quick Hits: Prepping for 'faceless' foe, triple option talk, more​

ByBRIAN CHRISTOPHERSON 6 hours ago

Two games in, four days out from another, the Husker coordinators were among those who met the media after Tuesday's practice.

The incoming Buffalo Bulls have everyone's full attention after a MAC Championship appearance last year and a 69-7 win over a Wagner team that isn't good. But 69-7 is 69-7.

"You always got to be on upset alert," said Husker cornerback Braxton Clark. "But our coaches have been telling us we have faceless opponents. When we go against our opponents, we treat them just like they're Ohio State. It doesn't matter who we're playing. We just want to play to our best schemes and to our best ability."

Some Quick Hits:

Matt Lubick said Logan Smothers' consistency and decision-making helped him claim the No. 2 spot at QB. "He played really well in camp. I think just being in our program for two years helped tremendously. And he's been taking a lot more reps because he has become the No. 2 guy."

Smothers has been poised and shrugs off mistakes well with a positive attitude, the coach said.

– Lubick was happy with how the O-line improved on pass protection in the second week and that it was a major focus on dealing with various blitz items after a tough first week. "Still got to complete the pass, and I thought Adrian did a good job standing in there and being poised, making some very accurate throws."

– Martinez is throwing at a 74-percent clip through two games. He was 17-of-23 for 254 last week and Lubick thinks he could have easily had another 50 or so tacked on an early long ball throw that just missed to Wyatt Liewer. Lubick thought Martinez probably missed the throw to Liewer in Week 1 that could have been a touchdown, but thought Liewer might have been more the culprit for the miss against Fordham. "He kind of misjudged that and he slowed down a step. I thought Adrian threw a really good ball. So we got to keep our speed. There's always a give and take there."

– Aside from the tight ends, Lubick said Omar Manning showed flashes as a perimeter blocker this week. "Wyatt showed flashes. He's probably one of our better perimeter blockers. Samori (Toure), we're asking him to do some things that he didn't have to do in his previous program, and he's kind of learning. Sometimes it's knowing not just blocking, but kn0wing who to block, so he's getting better at it every day." They all had their moments Saturday, but can be better.

– Lubick said the triple option the Huskers have been using with Toure was something Frost and him used to dial up at Oregon. It's just another way to get the ball to skill guys with space on the perimeter. "Sometimes based off what the defense is doing, it might look like it's option, but the ball is getting handed off. We incorporate a lot of reads in our offense, so that's just one more play with another read. So it's not expensive. When I say expensive, it's easy for our guys. It might look a little complicated to a defense, but it's very easy. It's just running inside zone with some window dressing..."

The Huskers work it every day, and knock on wood, haven't put one of those pitches on the ground. "All our receivers can do that. It's kind of built into our system."

– Lubick said he doesn't mind the occasional side-arm throw from Martinez if it works. "One of those kind of things," he said with a smile.

Alante Brown and Will Nixon are both improving. Competition is much better than last year. "The cream rises to the top. The guys that are most consistent are going to play the most," Lubick said. "They're progressing, but so are other guys as well."

– Lubick said Buffalo has some guys who can definitely get after the passer and the Bulls seem to tackle well. Even with a new scheme with new coaches, "their guys executed it as good as they possibly could have executed it their first game. We got our work cut out for us from a pass rush standpoint, because they know how to put pressure on a quarterback. They cover well. The other team really struggled to even get a first down against those guys. It's going to be a really good test. And they have a lot of guys returning..."

– Still going to rotate at running back, but in regards to Markese Stepp, "I thought you could make an argument that he might have ran the hardest this last game," Lubick said.

Braxton Clark is still trying to gain back some weight he lost from his injury, "but I feel good speed-wise, mental-wise, and everything else." Getting some good reps Saturday was a confidence boost and he was just fine with Fordham testing him right after he checked in. "That's how it is in college football. You got to expect it."

– Clark expects the Bulls to be an "RPO, stretch run type of team and play-action pass." He added that, "We really have to be smart in our keys and everyone has to do their job. If everyone wins their one-on-one assignment, we'll have a good showing on defense."

Erik Chinander believes Buffalo is a really strong team and highlighted running back Kevin Marks and QB Kyle Vantrease. Middle backers coach Barrett Ruud said the Bulls are strong up front, sure, but the backs also do a good job of getting forward after contact. The run defense and tackling ability will be tested.

Marques Buford Jr. took the dive right into the pool after coming back from his spring injury. "He made mistakes, he corrected mistakes. He played fast. He knows what he's doing. He's prepared." And then the separating factor is he earned a spot on all four core special teams units. By securing that spot, the Huskers wanted to make sure he was getting good reps at corner too since he's on the travel bus.

"And then once he started getting reps with the 2s and the 1s, he showed he probably belongs."

– Chinander thought the second wave of guys who came in the third quarter played pretty well. He highlighted Jimari Butler as a guy who played some solid snaps. "I was happy with what some of those young guys did. Not so happy that we gave up some plays with that sort of younger group (below) them ... but the emphasis to those guys since we started the season is everybody has to prepare like they're the starter." The challenge is for the 3s to understand that. "I think after reviewing the film a little bit, that sunk it with those guys that, 'I need to be ready.'"

— Nebraska offensive line coach Greg Austin said that freshman Teddy Prochazka has ascended to the No. 2 left tackle spot in part because of his maturity and how hard he is on himself. Austin said Prochazka quickly learned the playbook, has the right mentality for a young player and takes things personally.

— Austin said Nebraska continues to work Brant Banks at both guard and tackle. Banks played exclusively at guard against Fordham after playing at tackle against Illinois.

— Austin said he liked quarterback Adrian Martinez and the offensive line exchanging words on the sidelines early in the game against Fordham. Austin said he could hear Martinez in his ear wanting to talk to the offensive line as the offense worked to get its footing.

“He was yelling at me, and I was like, ‘Bro, let me get these adjustments done and then you can say whatever you want to, but nevertheless, he was very animated, and I loved it,” Austin said. “I love the energy, and I loved him coming over there and picking us up.”

— Austin said Buffalo’s defensive line is formidable coming in on Saturday. Austin said Buffalo’s pass rushers are “quick twitch guys who know how to work with their hands.”

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds