Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Quick Hits Thursday Press Conference (1 Viewer)

vailhusker

Heisman Winner
Insider

Frost on Thursday: 'Our guys are prepped for a battle'​

ByBRIAN CHRISTOPHERSON 42 minutes ago

They're all big game, as we've come to find out, and Scott Frost was all business two days before his Huskers take on a Buffalo team that by all indications has Nebraska's full respect.

Here's a quick rundown of what the Nebraska head coach had to say after Thursday's practice. We talked a bit about the weather at first, but it wasn't just Midwestern small talk. It could have its impact on the football this weekend in Lincoln.

The beautiful temps we've had this week in Lincoln are about to give way to a heat wave rolling in, with a suggested high temperature of 99 currently showing for Saturday.

"We're going to adjust warmups a little bit and make sure we don't spend too much before the game," Frost said. "We got the guys as prepped for that as they possibly can. I hope the fans take care of themselves too, when it gets that hot in the stadium. Hope everyone can be safe on the field and off."

The Huskers did play a game in a baking heat against Illinois to start the season. While Nebraska didn't like the result, Frost thought the conditioning of his team was good that day.

"I didn't think that was a factor for us in Game 1. We got to make sure and hydrate and do everything we can to get ready. It's good that we've had more depth than we've had before so we can get some more guys in."

Brant Banks slid in to left guard last week, backing up Ethan Piper, after Banks worked in camp and started the first game at left tackle.

"Brant's capable of playing three or four positions. He's just going to keep getting better. Has a high ceiling." Teddy Prochazka, the true freshman, emerged on the depth chart this past week as Turner Corcoran's backup at left tackle. But Banks has seemed to become that sixth guy on the O-line they can move around.

What about the perimeter blocking so far as the Huskers seek out more explosive plays in the run game?

"The mark of a good team is when receivers are really blocking downfield. Thought we could've been better than we were last Saturday. Some of that was just kind of confusion of assignments with some of the new stuff we have in. But that's something that we're continually working on."

The Huskers were 9-for-9 on touchbacks last week between Brendan Franke and Kelen Meyer.

"That's going to make a big difference. Maybe not on individual kickoffs, but over time. You have a lot less chance of giving up a kick return if you're kicking it through the end zone. So those two guys are doing a good job and we're looking forward to that."

There will be various things done on Saturday to recognize the 20th anniversary of 9/11, including a patriotic alternative uniform the Huskers are wearing.

Frost isn't very familiar with the scene that happened at Memorial Stadium after that first game post 9/11 20 years ago in which first responders and local authorities took part with Nebraska in the Tunnel Walk.

He doesn't know of all the plans for this weekend. "I'm focused on the team and the game, and Buffalo, who's a really good opponent. I'm sure our HuskerVision guys, and the media guys, they do a great job. I'm sure they'll have something special for it."

What pops about Buffalo?

"I think their quarterback is really good. They have a really good running back. They have a transfer receiver. They're pretty solid everywhere on offense. They really run and hit on defense. We only have one game tape on, but they looked great in that first game. Our guys are prepped for a battle."

Frost has liked the move so far with Ryan Held in the box and Mario Verduzco on the field during games.

"I think it's been good. Helps communication with the quarterbacks having Mario down. He's able to talk to them more. Keep them involved with the rest of the team on the sideline. Held's been coaching a long time, and has a good feel for seeing the whole picture and helping us make adjustments."

Frost wasn't giving away if an Oliver Martin or Travis Vokolek could jump back into game action this week.

"Those guys are getting better day by day. They're really close."

Chancellor Brewington, Chris Hickman and Nate Boerkircher have "done a great job," while Vokolek is out. "Chris is a guy that played receiver for a while. Moved back to tight end. Chancellor started at receiver. Moved to tight end. Boerkircher has done a great job. We needed those guys to step up and I think they've answered the bell."

Last edited:

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds