Welcome to the forum 👋, Visitor

To access the forum content and all our services, you must register or log in to the forum. Becoming a member of the forum is completely free.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Preseason QB discussion thread

To add, in practice after the OSU game 2019 they received equal reps in practice. Prior to that AM split reps with Noah. I wouldn't base much on number of practice reps. However I do agree with the rest AM tends to force more throws, Luke goes through progressions and check downs more.

Last year Luke looked like a skinny 18 year old. This year he looks solid and put on some good weight.
You could be right. I have no way of knowing how 1st team reps are traditionally split so if that’s the case it could be a big nothing.

Am I the only one who has wondered if Smothers will transfer at some point?

Luke runs the read option so well that its always a surprise to other teams he's passing. Unless he's really improved in straight drop backs I can't see him being the full time number 1. Having said that I don't see why him playing a series or 4 every game would hurt. It makes teams at least somewhat gameplan for both qbs and gives Martinez a break from being beat on.
The RPO could be absolutely deadly. Martinez struggled with zone and teams knew it which essentially shut down our RPO. If Luke can find holes in the zone while on the move it could be the “bread and butter” we heard about.

My relative who goes to practices said that they’ve been taking almost equal reps from what he’s seen (only been with the team for a short while due to Warren shit). He thinks Luke has outplayed Adrian but also admitted he wanted Martinez benched last year so take it FWIW.

Said Adrian has a more live arm and makes some “wow” throws, but also said Luke looks more accurate on throws within 10 yards. Adrian will miss a couple easy throws and then drop a 45 yard dime the next play. Luke hits more swing and screen passes, but missed two wide open 25-4bombs to Betts and Falke that would have been easy touchdowns.

Says Adrian sometimes tries to force it to Kade Warner as his “safety valve” but Luke seem to check down to the tight ends and RB’s which are probably better check down options.

Adrian looks faster than he looked on TV last year but Luke looked much faster. Luke apparently ditches the pocket way too early on true drop backs and Verdu has been getting on him about it.

Also, this info is coming from a college kid who was a 2nd string tight end for his class C high school team, and I swear he doesn’t know his head from his ass most of the time. Loves football though
Also, Ronald Delancy is a straight up stud. Might not play a ton this year because of his size but stands out on defense. Got straight up truck sticked by Mills Saturday but other than being too small to be a good tackler right now, looks like a lockdown DB.

Am I the only one who has wondered if Smothers will transfer at some point?

Maybe? I figure it's more likely AM or Luke transfer, but that's simply an opinion based on their age/experience. Those two could walk into a majority of programs and win the job IMO.

Hope you're wrong because Smothers seemed to have the "it" factor during recruiting.

It sounds like it'd be a mistake for Frost to not start mccaffery at this point. Martinez is boom or bust and frankly we don't have the defense to withstand a boom or bust offense at this point.

Also, Ronald Delancy is a straight up stud. Might not play a ton this year because of his size but stands out on defense. Got straight up truck sticked by Mills Saturday but other than being too small to be a good tackler right now, looks like a lockdown DB.
Don’t you read the RRS bored. That Florida boy is as good as gone last week.

Competition? Thoughts on starters? 2-QB System? How long of a leash does 2AM have? Etc.
AM is going to win the job. He'll be better this year. There was nobody pushing him last year. He came off a year where everyone was telling him how great he was going to be and he was "the man", he had such a long leash that he was always going to be #1 unless he got hurt. I can see how it would be easy to become complacent. With Luke and Logan, hopefully AM will know that coaches have options so he can't just coast on his freshman year flashes.

AM is going to win the job. He'll be better this year. There was nobody pushing him last year. He came off a year where everyone was telling him how great he was going to be and he was "the man", he had such a long leash that he was always going to be #1 unless he got hurt. I can see how it would be easy to become complacent. With Luke and Logan, hopefully AM will know that coaches have options so he can't just coast on his freshman year flashes.
10 inch corncob!?!? @B1G_10_Tony might have some competition

Luke runs the read option so well that its always a surprise to other teams he's passing. Unless he's really improved in straight drop backs I can't see him being the full time number 1. Having said that I don't see why him playing a series or 4 every game would hurt. It makes teams at least somewhat gameplan for both qbs and gives Martinez a break from being beat on.

Normally I’m not a fan of this, but would actually be ok considering our situation. If one separates as season progresses give him the full reigns.

Also nice knowing if our starter goes down to injury, whoever that ends up being, we’re not totally screwed.

Agreed. I think that we'll see good bits of both guys. Luke is too good not to see the field and only come in as mop up.
Since we don't have Mop Up anymore, then he'd never play. Frost is also too smart not to play both.
And IIRC, part of McCaffrey's make up was he was OK as a #2. I hope that's still the case. Because Martinez struggled last year, we now know what Luke is capable of.
As does Luke himself. But, so does Mario and Frost. And they LOVE competition. Just hope the players do too, and I know that's a long shot THESE DAYS. #KidsNowADays....

And YES...it's nice knowing that we don't have to play Matt Turman or that red headed kid that played against Cockeye that one time.

Until it's not, we are in a good situation at QB

I think 2AM does well, once he gets thru the Ohio St. game, and Luke just stays in line to play. Smothers watches and learns from BOTH, the starter and the back up.

#GBR

From the Athletic today:

Here’s a first look at the offense.
Quarterback
Starter:
Adrian Martinez (Jr.)
Backup: Luke McCaffrey (RFr.)

For now, Martinez and McCaffrey rank as 1 and 1A. But in what order?

“I wouldn’t say it’s clear yet,” Frost said. “Adrian’s certainly playing well. Luke’s certainly playing well. We feel like we’ve got two guys at the top of that heap who are playing well enough to help us win games.”

Martinez, the two-year starter, has thrown for 4,573 yards and 27 touchdowns while rushing for 1,255 and 15 touchdowns. He fought injuries as a sophomore. His accuracy slipped. Meanwhile, McCaffrey played sparingly, accumulating 320 yards and two scores. But he generated a mountain of hype — well deserved, said teammates and Nebraska coaches.

“I think there’s a true competition,” Allen said. “Luke McCaffrey is showing a lot of great things. Adrian is still doing some great things as well. We’ve got two great guys back there who are battling for a position. As a whole offense, that’s going to make us better.”

Clearly, McCaffrey has made a strong move. A scrimmage last weekend seemed to intensify their battle.

“Right now, our offense moves exceptionally well when (McCaffrey) is playing quarterback,” Frost said. “He finds a way to make a lot of plays work. He’s throwing the ball really well. I don’t think anybody has any questions about his athletic ability or speed.”

Martinez might win out because of his experience. But McCaffrey will get his shot to play — at QB or elsewhere in the offense if that’s the best fit.

“We’ll certainly look for opportunities to make sure that our best players are out there,” Frost said.

++++

Theme customization system

You can customize some areas of the forum theme from this menu.

• Wide/Narrow view

You can control a structure that you can use to use your theme wide or narrow.

Grid view forum list

You can control the layout of the forum list in a grid or ordinary listing style structure.

Picture grid mode

You can control the structure where you can open/close images in the grid forum list.

Close sidebar

You can get rid of the crowded view in the forum by closing the sidebar.

Fixed sidebar

You can make it more useful and easier to access by pinning the sidebar.

Close radius

You can use the radius at the corners of the blocks according to your taste by closing/opening it.

• Color combinations cannot be used

Color combinations are not available to you, this area may be restricted by administrators. Please contact the administrator for more information.

Backgrounds are not available!

Background checks are not available to you, this area may be restricted by administrators. Please contact the administrator for more information.

Back