Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Portal Roster Spots (1 Viewer)

Fargo Husker

Quarterback
Elite Member
All indications are that our portal class this year will be small, likely 3-5 players. For the purposes of this thread, we'll split the difference and say the number is 4.

Your job ITT: decide which roster spots you're filling with the 4, and only 4, transfer portal players. Mine would be...

1) Grad transfer QB - Someone who can come in and take the reins next season while allowing younger QBs time to develop (see: Will Howard, Blake Shapen, etc.)

2) Freshman QB - QB room needs to be completely reshaped. Bring in a kid to fill the missing 2023 QB roster spot. Sipple mentioned in TT today that Sam Leavitt from MSU has interest in Nebraska. Lincoln Kienholz is obviously a lot of fans' dream player in this spot.

3) RB - I went back and forth between RB and WR for this spot, but I think I like what we have returning/coming in at WR more than I do RB. Find a solid RB who can be more of a bell cow type back and help kick start the running game.

4) LB - Similar to the previous spot, I went back and forth here between LB and DB, but with the all the production we're losing at LB finding a player to solidify the MLB position would be great.

Ripping Lips

And I ain’t talking about fish
Elite Member
1. RB....none of the RB's we have are not on the same level we had with Ameer and Rex. I'd argue that Ozigbo was better than what we have on the current roster.

2. Veteran QB is obvious choice as long as Sims moves to WR and HH to TE. Still feel that Purdy is descent, just hasn't been coached or developed much since he's been here or at FSU.

3. OT just in case Teddy gets hurt again

4. LB/DB I'm not sure how good or the depth is like, but wouldn't hurt to take one if any of the targets are potential game breakers.

Bootleg11

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
The biggest thing when it comes to transfers is retaining all the talented freshman DL they had this year. NIL needs to make sure they are taken care of.

QB - Duh
RB - Do you trust this room to stay healthy? Is Ives putting on 30 lbs?
ILB - Wonder how Dylan Rogers and Eric Fields are looking? Can Chief Borders make a jump? Who's the leader of that group next year? Gbayor?
WR - Love the young guys in this group. But they need an older guy in this group. I know Washington says hes coming back, but that seems like a long shot.
TE - What TE currently on this roster is capable of blocking the edge? They don't necessarily need a pass catching TE, they need a true inline TE.

I think that's really it. I actually think the OL is in decent shape. I liked that class they brought in last year. Is Benhart returning? If so, I think the OL has a chance to be the strength again of the offense.

Bootleg11

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
1. RB....none of the RB's we have are not on the same level we had with Ameer and Rex. I'd argue that Ozigbo was better than what we have on the current roster.
No doubt, although I will say it took Ozigbo's senior year to get to that point. Maybe one of these guys can have a year like that too?

Ripping Lips

And I ain’t talking about fish
Elite Member
No doubt, although I will say it took Ozigbo's senior year to get to that point. Maybe one of these guys can have a year like that too?
Maybe. Also Ozigbo was also buried on the depth chart since he wasn't one of Frost's guys either. It seems like whenever we get a descent RB, the either get hurt, have legal trouble, or transfer.

2010sarenevercoming

5 Star Punter
Elite Member
I think this somewhat depends on what attrition happens among existing players with eligibility left.

A QB of some sort seems like a given. 2 would be nice (an upperclassman & a high-potential younger guy) to set ourselves up there, but that's a long-shot in reality.

I'd also like to see a WR regardless.

DB we're losing several older dudes, and there are multiple attrition candidates in the room. Might end up being a need.

RB - I've heard people say Rahmir & Ervin may both return. Not sure if that's accurate, but if so, that room may not have space.

If Benhart leaves, OL jumps in priority. Similar with LB if Bullock or others peace out.

Pepe Silvia

Wide Receiver
Elite Member

2. Veteran QB is obvious choice as long as Sims moves to WR and HH to TE. Still feel that Purdy is descent, just hasn't been coached or developed much since he's been here or at FSU.

3. OT just in case Teddy gets hurt again

4. LB/DB I'm not sure how good or the depth is like, but wouldn't hurt to take one if any of the targets are potential game breakers.
it's not even a question on Ozigbo. i'd trade the entire current RB room for him

if the coaches are serious about being a running team, then aside from QB RB is the biggest hole on the roster. imo it's a net negative that both Ervin and Rahmir are coming back since neither is the type of back we need and we don't have many roster spots available

BIG TONE SOPRANO

Really Big Truck
Elite Member
All indications are that our portal class this year will be small, likely 3-5 players. For the purposes of this thread, we'll split the difference and say the number is 4.

Your job ITT: decide which roster spots you're filling with the 4, and only 4, transfer portal players. Mine would be...

1) Grad transfer QB - Someone who can come in and take the reins next season while allowing younger QBs time to develop (see: Will Howard, Blake Shapen, etc.)

2) Freshman QB - QB room needs to be completely reshaped. Bring in a kid to fill the missing 2023 QB roster spot. Sipple mentioned in TT today that Sam Leavitt from MSU has interest in Nebraska. Lincoln Kienholz is obviously a lot of fans' dream player in this spot.

3) RB - I went back and forth between RB and WR for this spot, but I think I like what we have returning/coming in at WR more than I do RB. Find a solid RB who can be more of a bell cow type back and help kick start the running game.

4) LB - Similar to the previous spot, I went back and forth here between LB and DB, but with the all the production we're losing at LB finding a player to solidify the MLB position would be great.

We have as many spots as we want opeee. Why do people continue to fail to understand this. It blows me away

huskersoup

Linebacker
Elite Member
I think this somewhat depends on what attrition happens among existing players with eligibility left.

A QB of some sort seems like a given. 2 would be nice (an upperclassman & a high-potential younger guy) to set ourselves up there, but that's a long-shot in reality.

I'd also like to see a WR regardless.

DB we're losing several older dudes, and there are multiple attrition candidates in the room. Might end up being a need.

RB - I've heard people say Rahmir & Ervin may both return. Not sure if that's accurate, but if so, that room may not have space.

If Benhart leaves, OL jumps in priority. Similar with LB if Bullock or others peace out.
Would like someone else opposite Hill next year. Hartzog needs to be a safety all the way, got exposed a lot this year playing man

Natural9

Cornerback
Elite Member
QB x 2
RB
WR x 2
OT
LB

Not sure how we find room for 7 at the moment, but filling these holes would make me feel a lot better about 2024. Of this list, I’d feel least strongly about a second QB who would be a developmental player.

Napkins

Safety
Elite Member
QB
Holy shit please just spend money on someone with an arm and a brain

WR
Washington probably won’t be back, who knows with IGC, otherwise young but talented room. Bring in a one or two year guy to bridge the gap?

RB
If Gabe and Rahmir are coming back maybe they feel less strongly about this and with Lacy leaving the class they may just take two HS players next year.

DB/LB
LB I think we have some players that can step up but we probably need some help with depth and adding a veteran piece wouldn’t be a bad idea. Newsome, brown, and maybe Gifford leaving, I think we have a lot of pieces but it would be nice to add a solid corner to the roster opposite Hill and let’s guys on the roster fight over safety/rover spots.

whoboppin

Linebacker
I think people are falling for Rhule’s awe shucks schtick. I still think Nebraska might find room for 8-10 transfer. But we will see.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds