Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

OT: OPPD Rolling Blackouts (1 Viewer)

Papa...Football

3rd Gen Teller of Bad Dad Jokes
Elite Member
Received this message a bit ago. Not meant to be political but can we stop with the EV push already? Our grid can’t handle what we got sometimes already. Could you imagine everyone needing to charge vehicles, and especially a LOT more when it’s cold and the batteries drain faster. SMDH.

"Hello, this is Omaha Public Power District. The extreme cold is draining our local electric system. We want to help ensure you and your loved ones stay safe and warm and we ask that you can serve electricity beginning today for the next several days. Lower your thermostat by 2 to 4 degrees and avoid using appliances like your washer and dryer during peak usage times of 7 to 9 a.m. and four to 7 p.m. This will help prevent the need for planned periodic power outages. We encourage you to plan ahead in case of outages by ensuring you have supplies like a flashlight, warm clothes and blankets handy and keep electronic devices like laptops and cell phones charged for more information and updates. Please visit Storm and outage.com. Thank you for your support in this time of need.

Southendzonehusker

Defensive Lineman
Elite Member
Received this message a bit ago. Not meant to be political but can we stop with the EV push already? Our grid can’t handle what we got sometimes already. Could you imagine everyone needing to charge vehicles, and especially a LOT more when it’s cold and the batteries drain faster. SMDH.

"Hello, this is Omaha Public Power District. The extreme cold is draining our local electric system. We want to help ensure you and your loved ones stay safe and warm and we ask that you can serve electricity beginning today for the next several days. Lower your thermostat by 2 to 4 degrees and avoid using appliances like your washer and dryer during peak usage times of 7 to 9 a.m. and four to 7 p.m. This will help prevent the need for planned periodic power outages. We encourage you to plan ahead in case of outages by ensuring you have supplies like a flashlight, warm clothes and blankets handy and keep electronic devices like laptops and cell phones charged for more information and updates. Please visit Storm and outage.com. Thank you for your support in this time of need.
I hate to break it to you but that message has nothing to do with EVs or politics. Extreme weather is hard on all electrical equipment.

biscuitbagger3

Linebacker
Elite Member
OP believes all churches should be built for Easter Service. I bet OP would also complain when rates go up to support infrastructure for max theoretical demand.

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
They said the same thing this last summer during heat waves

Southendzonehusker

Defensive Lineman
Elite Member
If you’re wanting to complain about added load to the grid complain about all the data centers. They have a much larger impact than EVs
I’ve actually worked in the utilities for almost 10 years and at a data center now. Youd be surprised that given how they are tied into the grid they do not affect our local area all that much but other areas they are tied to are also getting slammed. I just find it funny when people complain about things that slightly inconvenience them during absolute extremes.

biscuitbagger3

Linebacker
Elite Member
My bad on the grid overload, everyone... I was running spell check on one of Dean's articles.
Well There It Is Jurassic Park GIF

Juro

Sarcastic Ass
Elite Member
Bounty Hunter
Look, we just need to get rid of the ozone layer so we won't have these types of very cold, wintery days.

That's the only way we're going to save our electrical grid is by destroying our atmosphere.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds