Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

OT car rentals while traveling (1 Viewer)

Dell Husker

Quarterback
tPB OG
Going to Gulf Shores in July but flying into Pensacola so I’d like to rent a car for a few days. I have never done it before so was looking for advice from others - good & bad experiences? ways to get discounts?

Bootleg11

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
Can you bundle your flight and car together? Sometimes that gives you a discount. I don't have any wise advice that nobody else knows. Some say buy the insurance some say don't. I know my AmEx covers the car insurance so I don't buy it. Don't pay for the gas up front, just make sure you fill it up before you return it.

I always walk the car and make note of any dings or scratches (rarely are there any). The rental cars I've gotten put into are usually pretty nice no matter which one I use.

2010sarenevercoming

5 Star Punter
Elite Member
If you haven't booked your flight already, booking a combo with that & the car rental is probably the best way to get a discount. Otherwise a priceline/kayak site will show you what's cheapest, it's not really an industry with hidden deals that I've found. It's usually relatively seamless to pick up/return from the airport kiosk.

There's also Turo where you can rent directly from an owner airBnB style. I haven't personally used that, but have heard it can be a good alternative, depending on the specific people/area.

Dell Husker

Quarterback
tPB OG
Can you bundle your flight and car together? Sometimes that gives you a discount. I don't have any wise advice that nobody else knows. Some say buy the insurance some say don't. I know my AmEx covers the car insurance so I don't buy it. Don't pay for the gas up front, just make sure you fill it up before you return it.

I always walk the car and make note of any dings or scratches (rarely are there any). The rental cars I've gotten put into are usually pretty nice no matter which one I use.
Yep, already booked flight and didn’t even think about it.

Thanks for the tips.

BluesBucksNHuskers

Running Back
Elite Member
Not sure about discounts but having the emerald club and being able to walk right by that slow ass line at the rental place and hop in a car makes me feel like a badass every time.

KidsSeeGhosts

Quarterback
Elite Member
If you haven't booked your flight already, booking a combo with that & the car rental is probably the best way to get a discount. Otherwise a priceline/kayak site will show you what's cheapest, it's not really an industry with hidden deals that I've found. It's usually relatively seamless to pick up/return from the airport kiosk.

There's also Turo where you can rent directly from an owner airBnB style. I haven't personally used that, but have heard it can be a good alternative, depending on the specific people/area.
I've used a Turo competitor (Getaround) a couple times. I would never lend my car out like that, but it's convenient. Prob better for a couple hour use thing than a whole weekend based on the rates.

EgarDer

Bench Warmer
Going to Gulf Shores in July but flying into Pensacola so I’d like to rent a car for a few days. I have never done it before so was looking for advice from others - good & bad experiences? ways to get discounts?
I have used Turo quite a few times with great results. Their prices are usually much cheaper than rental companies depending on what you want. Just make sure the car you rent has good reviews. It is also super convenient. Pick up and drop off can be set up right at the airport. Takes 1 monute for them to scan your ID and look over the car and you are off.

I highly recommend them.

Baron Winnebago

Scrote Statistician
Elite Member
tPB OG
look up turo. Its like air bnb for cars
Oh so they fuck you to death with fees?

House Of Representatives Bbb GIF by GIPHY News

betsch

Safety
Judge Judy and The People's Court judge always says to buy the insurance FWIW.

Dble E

Cornerback
Elite Member

I already feel bad for you and the traffic you will endure.

Fun place though....

Jim14510

GOD MOD
Admin
Elite Member
tPB OG
Worst experience with rental cars ever was at the Pennsacola Airport last year when I went to Gulf Shores. Brother in law travels a lot for work so had some special deal. We were supposed to get 2 big SUV's. Ended up with mini vans after lots of arguing and waiting. Left about 3 hours after we got there. Returned both at same time and they said we never returned one. Tried charging for an extra week.

Think it was Hertz.

Go through Costco. Usually the best deal.

Where you staying?

Dell Husker

Quarterback
tPB OG
Worst experience with rental cars ever was at the Pennsacola Airport last year when I went to Gulf Shores. Brother in law travels a lot for work so had some special deal. We were supposed to get 2 big SUV's. Ended up with mini vans after lots of arguing and waiting. Left about 3 hours after we got there. Returned both at same time and they said we never returned one. Tried charging for an extra week.

Think it was Hertz.

Go through Costco. Usually the best deal.

Where you staying?
I found out my work has a discount code for cheaper rentals so that will cut cost in half.

I’m not sure on exact location in Gulf Shores. A family member has a condo down there and is letting us stay there for free. Any recs?

Pipehog69

Bench Warmer
Elite Member
I have used Turo twice, great results both times (bmw 4-series convertible in Miami and Toyota Tacoma in Colorado) and pretty reasonably priced. Pick a renter w/ lots of reviews, they will have a quick and easy drop-off/pickup process that’s faster than the rental counter

Frogsker30

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
I have used Turo twice, great results both times (bmw 4-series convertible in Miami and Toyota Tacoma in Colorado) and pretty reasonably priced. Pick a renter w/ lots of reviews, they will have a quick and easy drop-off/pickup process that’s faster than the rental counter
I'd say the only problem I have every had with Turo is finding an uber to drive me to the vehicle location.

Jim14510

GOD MOD
Admin
Elite Member
tPB OG
I found out my work has a discount code for cheaper rentals so that will cut cost in half.

I’m not sure on exact location in Gulf Shores. A family member has a condo down there and is letting us stay there for free. Any recs?
I'll get some for you. The places we went were pretty meh but have a buddy that has been down there a lot. Of course he didn't tell me that until after my trip.

Floribama area is worth going to. If you can rent a boat that's always good. You can chase dolphins around.

We stayed at a VRBO on Little Lagoon and pretty much just chilled at the house. Went fishing one day that sucked. If you do that make sure you go on the 1st or after. Red Snapper opens the 1st. We went on May 31st of course.

Took the kids to the go kart track right on the north south main drag. They enjoyed that.

Was a pretty laid back week for us. Mostly just drinking and floating in the lagoon.

Helped a former Alabama player get his boat on the trailer. Battery died and he couldn't get it restarted. He played in the late 60s. That was probably the highlight of that day.

Jim14510

GOD MOD
Admin
Elite Member
tPB OG
@Dell Husker from friend that goes down quite a bit. His sister in law lives down there.

The gulf at perdido pass, casual.
cobalt, playa for nicer dinner, tacky jacks for bar food and outside games, lulus for seafood and family friendly. Hangout for music.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds