Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

OT: Business travel stories/tips/suggestions (2 Viewers)

Juro

Sarcastic Ass
Elite Member
Bounty Hunter
Alright, I travel a little for my company; mainly drive throughout Nebraska and Cockeye. But at times, I travel to Minneapolis, Chicago, Austin, etc.

So my story is pretty much today in Schaumburg, business suburb of Chicago. Flew in last night, checked in, and pretty much got ready for today. This morning, I noticed two black socks next to my desk in my room. Definitely not mine and definitely should have been noticed if they cleaned the room.

Complained to the front desk pretty much asking for a cleaning today. That was at 7:30 this morning and as of 3 PM, still no cleaning. The front desk said the cleaning service was still here and they just haven’t gotten to it yet. Wtf.

Anyway, anyone got any stories, tips, or suggestions for traveling for business?

huskermack

Offensive
Elite Member
tPB OG
Alright, I travel a little for my company; mainly drive throughout Nebraska and Cockeye. But at times, I travel to Minneapolis, Chicago, Austin, etc.

So my story is pretty much today in Schaumburg, business suburb of Chicago. Flew in last night, checked in, and pretty much got ready for today. This morning, I noticed two black socks next to my desk in my room. Definitely not mine and definitely should have been noticed if they cleaned the room.

Complained to the front desk pretty much asking for a cleaning today. That was at 7:30 this morning and as of 3 PM, still no cleaning. The front desk said the cleaning service was still here and they just haven’t gotten to it yet. Wtf.

Anyway, anyone got any stories, tips, or suggestions for traveling for business?
Take a black light on your next trip.
Apparently, there is jizz all over everything in hotels.
Always wear sandals.

Juro

Sarcastic Ass
Elite Member
Bounty Hunter
Take a black light on your next trip.
Apparently, there is jizz all over everything in hotels.
Always wear sandals.
streaming tv show GIF by HULU

2010sarenevercoming

5 Star Punter
Elite Member
Housekeeping at hotels is pretty much non-existent anymore.

I don't have any tips about it, but it's crazy to watch that become the new reality.

Tonkasker

Safety
Elite Member
Cockeye
VP I used to work under brought his own shower head so he'd get a consistent, filtered shower everywhere. Could be the move.

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
Probably not super relevant.....
Back when I worked for Duval at X Edge, I worked a lot with the Premier Volleyball Teams. I was highly encouraged to show my face at the big tourney in Denver one year. Had never flown by myself before. Boss man had it set up to where I left early Saturday morning, be left Friday afternoon so they could all party Friday night. Again, never flown by myself. I was terrified. Flying to Denver was easy, but navigating once getting there was a different world. I don't have/get anxiety but it was through the roof once I landed, until I got there. Got to the hotel mid afternoon. Hadn't slept or eaten much so I had a migraine. Took a nap, woke up that night at like 9 and had calls and texts from the boss man asking where I was. Finally met up with everyone at a restaurant at like 9:45 or something like that. Wild day, weird weekend.

Jim14510

GOD MOD
Admin
Elite Member
tPB OG
Stayed at a hotel by the airport in Lincoln after a night game a few years ago. My stay was fine but brother and sister in law weren't pleased.

We got back around 2 am.

About 3 am door opens except chain is on. SIL goes to the door and tell them to go away wrong room. About 15 minutes later hotel employee is banging at the door saying they must be in the wrong room. They go down to front desk and figure out they double booked the room. Wanted SIL and BIL to move to different room instead of people just checking in.

I thought it was funny. They were pissed of course demanding they get a free night out of the ordeal. Think they ended up getting it after bitching for enough days.

Juro

Sarcastic Ass
Elite Member
Bounty Hunter
Stayed at a hotel by the airport in Lincoln after a night game a few years ago. My stay was fine but brother and sister in law weren't pleased.

We got back around 2 am.

About 3 am door opens except chain is on. SIL goes to the door and tell them to go away wrong room. About 15 minutes later hotel employee is banging at the door saying they must be in the wrong room. They go down to front desk and figure out they double booked the room. Wanted SIL and BIL to move to different room instead of people just checking in.

I thought it was funny. They were pissed of course demanding they get a free night out of the ordeal. Think they ended up getting it after bitching for enough days.
That’s a free room at the lowest ‘we fucked up and we got you’ level.

Juro

Sarcastic Ass
Elite Member
Bounty Hunter
Probably not super relevant.....
Back when I worked for Duval at X Edge, I worked a lot with the Premier Volleyball Teams. I was highly encouraged to show my face at the big tourney in Denver one year. Had never flown by myself before. Boss man had it set up to where I left early Saturday morning, be left Friday afternoon so they could all party Friday night. Again, never flown by myself. I was terrified. Flying to Denver was easy, but navigating once getting there was a different world. I don't have/get anxiety but it was through the roof once I landed, until I got there. Got to the hotel mid afternoon. Hadn't slept or eaten much so I had a migraine. Took a nap, woke up that night at like 9 and had calls and texts from the boss man asking where I was. Finally met up with everyone at a restaurant at like 9:45 or something like that. Wild day, weird weekend.
Funny enough, I got my rental when I flew in yesterday and it was a Jeep Gladiator. Never driven one before, but I had put my hotel in the navigation system built in and drove off. Switched radio stations before leaving the rental parking lot, and as I was about to leave, my planned destination was no longer on the navigation. When I tried to put it back in there, it wouldn’t let me due to being in motion at one of the busiest places in Chicago. Was about to start guessing on where to go there for awhile.

Jim14510

GOD MOD
Admin
Elite Member
tPB OG
That’s a free room at the lowest ‘we fucked up and we got you’ level.
Pretty sure the front desk was still blaming the in laws even after realizing they double booked and gave them a key for that room. It was quite crazy.

I slept fine though.

doublewing

Running Back
My business travel pro-tip: if you have the frequent flyer status to attend the Airline Lounges (Admirals Club, United Club, Delta Sky Club, etc) grab a coffee cup, fill it with the complimentary wine, cover it, and take it with you on the flight. Handy to have with you while you wait for drinks service and super classy.

Tell_Sackett

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member

Traveled to Fort Lauderdale this spring and stayed in a really nice resort for work conference. Took the wife along. Formula One was in town and standard rooms were going for well over $1,000 a night. We of course had already booked through our conference rate which wasn't terrible. Got to the room, and it was spectacular... Around 700 sf, spectacular views of the golf course and skyline, high end shower, tub, bidet, decor, everything was solid.

Subsequently found a man's dress shirt under the TV console...then last morning there, our AC malfunctioned and leaked water down out of the ceiling all over the closet. Luckily, we had taken all my clothes out. Complained at the desk and they offered me Starbucks... I guess they figured I wouldn't be coming back.

Seaofred92

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
Nebrasketball
The only real tips I have for business travel:

- Eat less than you think you should
- Drink more water than you think you should
- Workout every morning even if its just a 20 minute walk around the block

I travel every week for work as a consultant M-Th. It’s pretty easy to fall into a crazy cycle of endless happy hours, pizzas, late night food orders, etc since it’s all able to be expensed. Not that I don’t do my fair share of that too, but making sure you have enough water (there is NEVER any in a hotel room) and get enough physical exercise will result in an infinitely better business trip

Dell Husker

Quarterback
tPB OG
Growing up I dreamed of being a frequent business traveler getting to see the United States. After some recent longer vacations using flights and hotels, I would dread that. I don’t know how you all do it.

Juro

Sarcastic Ass
Elite Member
Bounty Hunter

I travel every week for work as a consultant M-Th. It’s pretty easy to fall into a crazy cycle of endless happy hours, pizzas, late night food orders, etc since it’s all able to be expensed. Not that I don’t do my fair share of that too, but making sure you have enough water (there is NEVER any in a hotel room) and get enough physical exercise will result in an infinitely better business trip
I’m at one of three of those tips: I work out mostly every morning.

Juro

Sarcastic Ass
Elite Member
Bounty Hunter
Growing up I dreamed of being a frequent business traveler getting to see the United States. After some recent longer vacations using flights and hotels, I would dread that. I don’t know how you all do it.
Pre-check, walking around, and drinking are the best parts of being at an airport.

kyle23

Linebacker
Elite Member

Great advice. I used to travel 20 weeks out of the year, and I found that making an effort to walk rather than Uber is usually far more enjoyable. It gives you a chance to enjoy the city and get some exercise between meetings.

BingoDingo

Absolute Idiot
A few years ago, I used to work for a company HQ'd in Chicago and would travel pretty heavy. One night me and one of my managers went to meet a bunch of folks we worked with and I got absolutely demolished to the point I was at risk of professional embarrassment. I was so hammered that he got me an cab and told the guy just to dump me off in the middle of Lakeview and I would walk home(exactly what I told my manager like 45 times in a row over the prior 10 minutes).

Somehow, this fucking cab or Uber driver takes me to fucking Schaumburg...and I'm so stupid drunk I don't even realize it. I walked around Schaumburg for like 30 minutes before I realize I'm not in Lakeview. I'm so clueless and hammered that I opened Google maps and I literally think my phone is broken because somehow it is misreading GPS coordinates. I annoy a gas station employee by asking him if he's sure I'm in Schaumburg...and then I went into a mini-panic attack trying to puzzle together how I ended up there.

Anyways, got an Uber back and all was well.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds