Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Opinion - Gut feeling on Rhule (1 Viewer)

Adolph Coors

Fat
Elite Member
My gut is telling me that Rhule wont be the guy, i know there is a ton of smoke about him having the contract on his table. I just feel he’s going to take a year off and wait for a better job.

With this search firm’s recent history, i have 3 coaches in mind.

Jeff Brohm
Lane Kiffin
Mike Gundy.

Huskerforlife

Head Coach
Elite Member
My gut is telling me that Rhule wont be the guy, i know there is a ton of smoke about him having the contract on his table. I just feel he’s going to take a year off and wait for a better job.

Jeff Brohm
Lane Kiffin
Mike Gundy.
Jeff Brohm would only move to Louisville if they fire the HC. But I don't see him leaving Purdue anytime soon.

Lane Kiffin would probably wait until Saban retires to take over if Dabo doesn't accept the job. I don't see Kiffin taking the Auburn job as he's better off at Ole Miss. Dan Lanning may land the Auburn job, as he wants to be an SEC coach.

This leaves Gundy. He could be the next HC if Rhule decides to sit out a year. But I hope its Rhule.

whoboppin

Linebacker
Better job? What better job? There really arent that many openings out there. Nebraska makes as much sense as any. There are maybe 10 schools where it wouldn't be a lateral move from Nebraska, and a lot of it is personal preference.

Better Jobs
OSU - Coach Locked in
Michigan - Locked in
Bama - Locked in
Georgia - Locked In
Florida - At least 2 more years minimum
LSU - Locked In
USC - Locked In
OU - at least 2 more years
Texas - at least 1-2 more years
Notre Dame - At least 2 more years

Similarish jobs
A&M - Could be open soon
PSU - Locked
Oregon - Locked
Washington - Locked
Tennessee - Locked
FSU - 2 years
Miami - 2 years
Clemson - Locked
Auburn - Open now
UCLA - Locked

Crazy things can happen, but most of these jobs are taken for a few years.

Last edited:

Jim14510

GOD MOD
Admin
Elite Member
tPB OG
Better job? What better job? There really arent that many openings out there. Nebraska makes as much sense as any. There are maybe 10 schools where it wouldn't be a lateral move from Nebraska, and a lot of it is personal preference.

Better Jobs
OSU - Coach Locked in
MeatChicken - Locked in
Bama - Locked in
Georgia - Locked In
LSU - Locked In
USC - Locked In

Similarish jobs
A&M - Could be open soon
PSU - Locked
Oregon - Locked
Washington - Locked
Tennessee - Locked
FSU - 2 years
Miami - 2 years
Clemson - Locked
Auburn - Open now
UCLA - Locked

Never know with a lot of those. Have to imagine Saban is going to retire in the fairly near future. Day could give the NFL a shot? Wouldn't say Franklin is locked in at PSU. One bad season would put him on the hot seat. Harbaugh was on the hot seat 2 years ago. People were ready to fire Freeman after the first 3 or 4 games.

Bottom line crazy things aren't that crazy.

tman87

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
Can someone explain to me why people love Gundy? He’s won 1 Big 12 championship and that was in 2011..

Why would anyone think he would succeed in the Big 10, where he has limited to no experience.

He's a good coach with many years of experience showing that. Is he a great coach? Probably not. But pretty darn good.

We could do a lot worse.

Cash68847

Offensive Coordinator
Elite Member
tPB OG
Can someone explain to me why people love Gundy? He’s won 1 Big 12 championship and that was in 2011..

Why would anyone think he would succeed in the Big 10, where he has limited to no experience.
I get what you’re saying. Gundy fans will point to the fact he always hires quality assistants which is a big plus with him. He also wins 9-10 games a year, but has usually came up short of winning conference titles. I have my doubts he recruits a lot better at Nebraska unless NIL can change that. I would be fine with him, but I don’t think he ever wins championships, but I don’t know if any coach will at this point with Nebraska.

doublewing

Running Back

Definitely overvalued IMO. Good coach but I'd want something better for the reset we need.

I doubt he leaves OSU. He is okie through and through.

MtnHusker

Legend
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG

OSU has always been 2nd fiddle to Oklahoma in the state. They don't have near the financial resources that many programs, us included, have. He's lost some good coaches to bigger spending programs. Good location for recruiting with Texas next door and he has lots of connections. Gundy didn't bring in the highest rated recruiting classes but did a great job developing the talent. He has a good coaching tree.

I don't see Gundy taking us to the Tom Osborne levels of success but definitely would have us competitive for a B1G West championship every season. His offenses have been fun to watch over the years.

Adolph Coors

Fat
Elite Member
OSU has always been 2nd fiddle to Oklahoma in the state. They don't have near the financial resources that many programs, us included, have. He's lost some good coaches to bigger spending programs. Good location for recruiting with Texas next door and he has lots of connections. Gundy didn't bring in the highest rated recruiting classes but did a great job developing the talent. He has a good coaching tree.

I don't see Gundy taking us to the Tom Osborne levels of success but definitely would have us competitive for a B1G West championship every season. His offenses have been fun to watch over the years.
wasnt Boone Pickens one of the wealthiest donors in America? has that fallen off since he died

MtnHusker

Legend
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG
The battered fan in me just thinks we're going to biff this hire.
Turd is torturing us with the limited information out there. Not sure about everyone else but my work productivity has gone down because I'm checking Husker sites, researching coaches and contacting connections to see what they are hearing. Hope he announces someone soon as I need to get back to work.

MtnHusker

Legend
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG
wasnt Boone Pickens one of the wealthiest donors in America? has that fallen off since he died
Yeah, he threw coin around but I don't think Pickens and Gundy saw eye to eye on many things. Imagine that, a wealthy booster sticking his nose into the coaches bidness. It was a running joke with OSU Fans that T Boone Pickens left Mike Gundy $30 in his Will for Gundy to get a Hair Cut. Gundy is making $7.5 million/yr so we would have to pony up some Pesos.

Milo-of-Croton

Cornerback
Elite Member

Very well stated. He is a good coach somewhat hamstrung by location, but he always seems to put a good team on the field. Not sure what his interest really is in leaving his current job though. My guess is that it would hard to get him to leave. Usually coaches that have built solid programs stay unless forced out or the dream job opens up. Rebuilding programs at any level is hard work.

DrinkItIn

Running Back
Elite Member
tPB OG

Jeff Brohm
Lane Kiffin
Mike Gundy.

Brohm would drive me nuts I think with his passing. He had O'Connell pass 43 times last week in 50 mph winds.

Baron Winnebago

Scrote Statistician
Elite Member
tPB OG
The battered fan in me just thinks we're going to biff this hire.
Surprised Nicolas Cage GIF

Bootleg11

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member

Better Jobs
OSU - Coach Locked in
MeatChicken - Locked in
Bama - Locked in
Georgia - Locked In
LSU - Locked In
USC - Locked In

Similarish jobs
A&M - Could be open soon
PSU - Locked
Oregon - Locked
Washington - Locked
Tennessee - Locked
FSU - 2 years
Miami - 2 years
Clemson - Locked
Auburn - Open now
UCLA - Locked

Alabama?

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds