Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Official 2024 Nebraska Cardiac Beaver Slayers Baseball Thread (40-22) (19 Viewers)

Snockered69

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
Been calling for 0-2 and BBQ come tourney time since March. @PonyBoy with his inside info only reemphasized my assessment. Tonight moved my confidence meter from 75% to 90% depending on the regional. Team screams dysfunctional cesspool.

Kaladin

Professor of Aesthetics / Positive Boogeyman
Elite Member
Exactly why starting fucking brockett was so fucking stupid for this staff to do. Better to go 2-0 off the bat than battle back from 0-1. Bolt thought too hard on that one.
I think going with your 2nd or 3rd pitcher is pretty common to start these tourneys. Don’t want to risk injury to your ace

Huskers4420

Linebacker
Best we can hope for now is just not getting shipped to an SEC regional. Unfortunately I think we just played ourselves into one with whatever that was.

PonyBoy

Cornerback
Insider
Exactly why starting fucking brockett was so fucking stupid for this staff to do. Better to go 2-0 off the bat than battle back from 0-1. Bolt thought too hard on that one.

4 projected 2 seeds played today...

Mississippi State, started a bullpen arm with 3 prior starts.

Texas, started a guy who last started a game May 10. Bullpened a game this past weekend too.

West Virginia, started a bullpen arm with 3 prior starts.

Nebraska, started their recent #3.

Starting your #1, on 2 days less rest with a tournament bid secured, isn't ideal or very smart. Unless you're still in a position to push hosting. Even then, it's questionable - see Mississippi State today.

Osborne1992

Linebacker
Elite Member
4 projected 2 seeds played today...

Mississippi State, started a bullpen arm with 3 prior starts.

Texas, started a guy who last started a game May 10. Bullpened a game this past weekend too.

West Virginia, started a bullpen arm with 3 prior starts.

Nebraska, started their recent #3.

Starting your #1, on 2 days less rest with a tournament bid secured, isn't ideal or very smart. Unless you're still in a position to push hosting. Even then, it's questionable - see Mississippi State today.
Did those teams also start 2 guys that have a combined 19 starts on the year and a combined 83 ABs on the year? I can understand the starting pitching decision trying to win the tournament but I do not understand starting Jesske and Swansen. That makes 0 sense in my mind. Why not go with the players that have played most of the season? This seems like an Erstad move when he tinkered with the lineup throughout the entire year.

PonyBoy

Cornerback
Insider
Did those teams also start 2 guys that have a combined 19 starts on the year and a combined 83 ABs on the year? I can understand the starting pitching decision trying to win the tournament but I do not understand starting Jesske and Swansen. That makes 0 sense in my mind. Why not go with the players that have played most of the season? This seems like an Erstad move when he tinkered with the lineup throughout the entire year.

First off, we're not trying to win the tournament. We set up our pitching for Regionals. If that gives us a chance to win the B1G tournament, then great. If not, then we're set up for Regionals. Just like every other 2 seed yesterday; including a coaching staff/team that won a national title in 2021, another team that's a blueblood with a coaching staff with CWS appearances, a regional qualifier 3 of the last 5 seasons not to mention Rob Childress, and to a much lesser extent Will Bolt, who has more experience with this than majority.

Jesske, not clue WTF Bolt was thinking. Absolutely mind blowing with that decision. Swanny, makes some sense. He's been swinging the bat better of late and hit 20 bombs a season ago. Could "this game" (Tuesday) be the game that triggers a hot streak? Maybe, maybe not. He did go 1-3 with a double.

Osborne1992 said:
We should be due after we went 2-32 with runners in scoring position just a couple weeks ago.

You posted this, this past Monday. Kind of interesting, after another weak offensive weekend against Sparty we're questioning adjustments in the lineup...

Last edited:

Osborne1992

Linebacker
Elite Member
First off, we're not trying to win the tournament. We set up our pitching for Regionals. If that gives us a chance to win the B1G tournament, then great. If not, then we're set up for Regionals. Just like every other 2 seed yesterday; including a coaching staff/team that won a national title in 2021, another team that's a blueblood with a coaching staff with CWS appearances, a regional qualifier 3 of the last 5 seasons not to mention Rob Childress, and to a much lesser extent Will Bolt, who has more experience with this than majority.

Jesske, not clue WTF Bolt was thinking. Absolutely mind blowing with that decision. Swanny, makes some sense. He's been swinging the bat better of late and hit 20 bombs a season ago. Could "this game" (Tuesday) be the game that triggers a hot streak? Maybe, maybe not. He did go 1-3 with a double.

You posted this, this past Monday. Kind of interesting, after another weak offensive weekend against Sparty we're questioning adjustments in the lineup...
Again, not knocking the pitching decision. I figured we didn't have enough pitching for this tournament and doubt we will for the regionals unless some guys surprise us. Not sure I'd call 17 runs scored in the last 2 games a weak offensive weekend. Could have used more the first game but still enough to win. Also, not sure why you think those 2 guys would help that stat? Especially when that stat is more on the whole lineup and hitting coach and not just 2 certain players. Jesske and Swansen accounted for a combined 4.5% of the total season's ABs. Maybe Bolt is trying to wake up Evans and Anglim before regionals to light a fire. Hopefully there's something I'm missing.

PonyBoy

Cornerback
Insider
Again, not knocking the pitching decision. I figured we didn't have enough pitching for this tournament and doubt we will for the regionals unless some guys surprise us. Not sure I'd call 17 runs scored in the last 2 games a weak offensive weekend. Could have used more the first game but still enough to win. Also, not sure why you think those 2 guys would help that stat? Especially when that stat is more on the whole lineup and hitting coach and not just 2 certain players. Jesske and Swansen accounted for a combined 4.5% of the total season's ABs. Maybe Bolt is trying to wake up Evans and Anglim before regionals to light a fire. Hopefully there's something I'm missing.

I explained deeper because you said "trying to win the tournament". That's not accurate or Sears would've thrown Tuesday so he could bounce back Sunday.

11 of those 16 (18 total) were in 1 game. We struggled Friday and Sunday.

I never said Jesske would help. I agreed with you hence the "No clue WTF Bolt was thinking". It'd help us both if you read what I actually say. Swansen makes sense, and was explained. It doesn't mean I agree with it but there's valid reasoning.

P.S.
Anglim has started 3 of the 12 games we've played in May. He's been used more as a defensive replacement for Sanderson than anything else.

Osborne1992

Linebacker
Elite Member
I explained deeper because you said "trying to win the tournament". That's not accurate or Sears would've thrown Tuesday so he could bounce back Sunday.

11 of those 16 (18 total) were in 1 game. We struggled Friday and Sunday.

I never said Jesske would help. I agreed with you hence the "No clue WTF Bolt was thinking". It'd help us both if you read what I actually say. Swansen makes sense, and was explained. It doesn't mean I agree with it but there's valid reasoning.

P.S.
Anglim has started 3 of the 12 games we've played in May. He's been used more as a defensive replacement for Sanderson than anything else.
I agreed with most of your previous post until you quoted my post from a week ago which you seemed to imply that those 2 guys being in the lineup were magically going to help that stat. We're rooting for the same team, no need to get snippy. We can agree to disagree on some things. I question putting those 2 guys in the lineup and seems like you agree with half that statement. GBR

PonyBoy

Cornerback
Insider
I agreed with most of your previous post until you quoted my post from a week ago which you seemed to imply that those 2 guys being in the lineup were magically going to help that stat. We're rooting for the same team, no need to get snippy. We can agree to disagree on some things. I question putting those 2 guys in the lineup and seems like you agree with half that statement. GBR

Insert any 2 guys. When you complain about RISP, which follows another poor weekend of offensive production - then turn around and complain when changes are made - it's a bit ironic. That's it, nothing more.

I'll be clear, Jesske is a WTF decision. Swansen has plausible reasoning, not that I agree or disagree with it. I'm indifferent.

I'm not snippy. I'm clearing any & all confusion.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds