Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Official 2023 Nebraska Baseball Thread (3 Viewers)

PonyBoy

Cornerback
Insider
Disgusting start to the season. Actually, it's a complete embarrassment. For whatever reason our bungholes are puckered.

5 captains; Matthews has 8 K's in 15 plate appearances as our lead-off hitter. Everitt looked timid then benched. Perry pitched like a 9-year old. Schanaman was atrocious, & Cervantes hasn't played an inning. This is our leadership, 3 games in to the season.

Compare that to 2021 captains first 3 games; Hallmark 5-11, Acker 6-12, Schwellenbach 3-10, 1 inning pitched w/ 2 K's and Hagge 0-1.

Yes San Diego looks to be a better team than 2021 Purdue but that's not the point. We need leadership in the clubhouse and it was obviously missing in 2022. So, what happened? We nominate 3 of the same guys; Perry, Schanaman & Everitt. Something is going on. I do believe this current team has some other guys that really don't GAF about others feelings and may just take over the "leadership" if something doesn't flip on by the end of the South Alabama series.

Did you guys see Josh Caron yesterday tell the Asian kid to get the fuck in the dugout after he pimped his homerun? Now THAT is the piss and vinegar needed, just like we had in 2021. The problem I had with it is, not a single teammate in the field moved towards home plate and nobody in the dugout stepped in front of the dugout. That's piss poor leadership as 4 of them weren't on the field. I guarantee Hallmark, Schwelly, Roskam, Povich, Hroch, Bunz, Wynne, Frank and some other would've stepped out of the dugout popping off in defense of their catcher. But nope, not with this group. It caught my attention, sorry.

I'm fully bought in to Coach Bolt and his staff, with some hesitation on Harvell. That's for another day, pending how the next 3.5 weeks go.

Samkellers_69

Safety
Elite Member
Disgusting start to the season. Actually, it's a complete embarrassment. For whatever reason our bungholes are puckered.

5 captains; Matthews has 8 K's in 15 plate appearances as our lead-off hitter. Everitt looked timid then benched. Perry pitched like a 9-year old. Schanaman was atrocious, & Cervantes hasn't played an inning. This is our leadership, 3 games in to the season.

Compare that to 2021 captains first 3 games; Hallmark 5-11, Acker 6-12, Schwellenbach 3-10, 1 inning pitched w/ 2 K's and Hagge 0-1.

Yes San Diego looks to be a better team than 2021 Purdue but that's not the point. We need leadership in the clubhouse and it was obviously missing in 2022. So, what happened? We nominate 3 of the same guys; Perry, Schanaman & Everitt. Something is going on. I do believe this current team has some other guys that really don't GAF about others feelings and may just take over the "leadership" if something doesn't flip on by the end of the South Alabama series.

Did you guys see Josh Caron yesterday tell the Asian kid to get the fuck in the dugout after he pimped his homerun? Now THAT is the piss and vinegar needed, just like we had in 2021. The problem I had with it is, not a single teammate in the field moved towards home plate and nobody in the dugout stepped in front of the dugout. That's piss poor leadership as 4 of them weren't on the field. I guarantee Hallmark, Schwelly, Roskam, Povich, Hroch, Bunz, Wynne, Frank and some other would've stepped out of the dugout popping off in defense of their catcher. But nope, not with this group. It caught my attention, sorry.

I'm fully bought in to Coach Bolt and his staff, with some hesitation on Harvell. That's for another day, pending how the next 3.5 weeks go.
This is exactly how I feel. College baseball is literally all about attitude and having swagger. I don't give a shit how people feel about Tennessee baseball team but I'd love to have that fuck you attitude guys

Kaladin

Professor of Aesthetics / Positive Boogeyman
Elite Member

The lack of leadership, attitude, swagger was evident last year during the opening week and nothing has changed

No energy either, and you can see it in their body language

We play like pussies

Last edited:

...TrueColors...

Graduate Assistant
Insider

Matthews has always had strikeout issues. I remember pointing this out on RSS and getting blasted. Fuck, I remember arguing he’s not a first round draft pick and if he got to Joe Simokaitis levels that we’d be very lucky to have him. But yet RSS told me that he can play SS at the next level (he can’t) and he’s a draftable guy on athleticism alone.

He’s not. He’s always had a hit tool problem and it’s purely because he doesn’t get on base enough.

Perry is injury prone and we did him a disservice by looking at what he did against Arkansas and projecting him to be that good moving forward. He’s a top half of the conference big ten picture. But he’s not special when you get to other leagues.

Schanaman is a guy I’ve never thought was great. You can sneak him through the lineup one time. But when he’s gotta get to his secondary stuff, he is in deep shit. He’s been here seemingly a decade and he’s not developed anything outside of his top two pitches.

It’s time to accept the fact that Will Bolt isn’t Joe Torre. It’s also time to accept the fact that Darin Erstad wasn’t that bad at his job.

PonyBoy

Cornerback
Insider
Matthews has always had strikeout issues. I remember pointing this out on RSS and getting blasted. Fuck, I remember arguing he’s not a first round draft pick and if he got to Joe Simokaitis levels that we’d be very lucky to have him. But yet RSS told me that he can play SS at the next level (he can’t) and he’s a draftable guy on athleticism alone.

He’s not. He’s always had a hit tool problem and it’s purely because he doesn’t get on base enough.

Perry is injury prone and we did him a disservice by looking at what he did against Arkansas and projecting him to be that good moving forward. He’s a top half of the conference big ten picture. But he’s not special when you get to other leagues.

Schanaman is a guy I’ve never thought was great. You can sneak him through the lineup one time. But when he’s gotta get to his secondary stuff, he is in deep shit. He’s been here seemingly a decade and he’s not developed anything outside of his top two pitches.

It’s time to accept the fact that Will Bolt isn’t Joe Torre. It’s also time to accept the fact that Darin Erstad wasn’t that bad at his job.

Disagree that BM couldn't play SS at the next level, minors not majors, as he's twitchy enough. He projects in the grass though so it's really moot to discuss further.

Good point on Perry. I do believe he'll be a good bullpen guy for us this year. Maybe a match-up type guy instead of multiple innings together.

It's why I like Shay in the pen, specifically as a closer. Or even an 8th inning guy. I don't think Christy did him much service though with the amount of sliders he called, it was almost like Childress was calling pitches. Shay's FB has life and finishes well, so it was really confusing to me.

Joe Torre wasn't Joe Torre, till he got to the Yankees 15 years in to his coaching career. Speaking of Erstad, his 3rd year we started 5-5, ended up 2nd in the B1G and went to Regionals. Time will tell for season 3 with Bolt. Year 4 under DE was garbage.

...TrueColors...

Graduate Assistant
Insider
Disagree that BM couldn't play SS at the next level, minors not majors, as he's twitchy enough. He projects in the grass though so it's really moot to discuss further.

Good point on Perry. I do believe he'll be a good bullpen guy for us this year. Maybe a match-up type guy instead of multiple innings together.

It's why I like Shay in the pen, specifically as a closer. Or even an 8th inning guy. I don't think Christy did him much service though with the amount of sliders he called, it was almost like Childress was calling pitches. Shay's FB has life and finishes well, so it was really confusing to me.

Joe Torre wasn't Joe Torre, till he got to the Yankees 15 years in to his coaching career. Speaking of Erstad, his 3rd year we started 5-5, ended up 2nd in the B1G and went to Regionals. Time will tell for season 3 with Bolt. Year 4 under DE was garbage.

One way or the other, like you said Matthews is a guy that you could potentially see getting a shot as an outfielder or utility player. Problem is the hit tool isn’t there to be able to project him very high. He doesn’t have the type of power that makes you overlook such a lack of contact or OBP.

I think Shay has value to this team. But anything outside of one time through and it’s over. Agreed on the terribleness in pitch calls.

Fill in the blank with whatever manager you want to. Bolt has a lot to figure out. That’s not to say that Erstad didn’t either. But right now, I’m not really seeing one being largely better than the other.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds