Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

NIL - Something I haven't seen discussed. (2 Viewers)

Cash68847

Offensive Coordinator
Elite Member
tPB OG
I agree. They would have pressure from a lot of different angles. Their ability to handle and play at that level. The pressure from their younger friends, pressure from Seniors. If it works, great. I’ve also seen once in a decade athletes in 8th grade play up and wilt.
I also think the only time the girls ever lost a game from elementary through high school was their freshman year. It also helps when you have other talented players around you with their head on straight.

BBTown Bomber

In Memoriam 1952-2023
tPB OG
This is the spot I am in right now. I just want my girls to have fun and get some playing time. My wife is a different story though. We have a couple of girls who are great athletes in our daughter's class. One of them is a once in a decade type athlete that was better than almost all of the high schoolers when she was in 7th and 8th grade. My wife gets so pissed off because the coach invites these two girls to high school practices and workouts and not everyone else. While I kind of get her point that it isn't "fair", if I was the coach I would do the exact same thing. We don't get athletes like these all the time and you have to maximize what you can get out of them in those 4 years of high school. I look at it as they are going to make our school look better, and heck, maybe it will help our daughter reach state in the next few years, but wifey wants her at all the same practices like it is some sort of competition.
Momma Bear needs to take a step back. Life isn't fair……😎

BBTown Bomber

In Memoriam 1952-2023
tPB OG
Yeah, you are in a bit of a tough spot with the better half. Sounds like you personally are thinking about it the right way.

As a coach, I can tell you couple things. First, there is a huge difference between 7th/8th grade kids and 11th/12th grade kids…both physically and especially, mentally.

Even for the once in a decade athlete, having her at high school sessions is risky. On one hand, it gives her an opportunity to compete at a similar or higher level. That can be productive. On the mental side, it can also put a TON of stress on her in a variety of ways. Pressure from her friends, pressure from the older girls, pressure from coaches and parents. That’s a lot and something that should be measured carefully. Burn out in youth sports is very real.

In regards to your girls…if they aren’t at that level and are at the level of their current age group, it’s incredibly more productive to have them train in their age group. Throw them to the wolves at the higher level and you run a tremendous risk of them pushing back from the game. Overwhelming them with something they aren’t ready for IS a sure fire way to put them on the wrong course. AND while I don’t know what level your girls are at, they will see a ton of body changes (I have 3 girls) over the next few years and you certainly don’t want to measure them against this other girl or high school girls…as it sounds like you get.

While 2 of my kids high school days are over, believe me as a father and coach. Do all you can to not get caught up in comparisons and pushing them into places they aren’t ready for, whether mentally or physically.

Our self worth should never come from how good our kids are and care needs to be take not to get to that place.

Let their activities be their activities. Show them the different paths available (extra training opportunities, different club levels,etc.), give them good healthy counsel and let them choose. Go that route and they (and you) will have a great experience.

If they don’t own it…parents will regret it.

I’ve been fortunate to be both a coach and parent. I’ve coached my kids and I’ve not coached them. I’ve learned from both coaching education and from just stubbing my toes comparing and pushing too hard.

Good luck brother, hope you guys can work together to go the right way…bottom line, don’t get caught up in comparisons and let the game be theirs. We’ve had our time.
A lot of common sense logic here. Thnx, 55.

I will throw this in……..in the states where junior high kids are allowed to compete in some sports (thinking of wrestling, of course) there are many stories of 5 & 6 time state champs.

Granted, it’s a unique (once in a decade athlete) situation but many of those elite kids probably had dads as coaches and they are mentally tough as nails.

My $.02……

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds