Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

New addition to the family (1 Viewer)

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
Love it!

Good time for a question for the board I guess, my big lab turns 11 in May. Have had him since he was 10 weeks old. Obviously the time isn't too far away. Personally think it'll be a while before I'll be able to put emotion like that into a different dog but what kind of waiting time do people usually go through before getting a new dog? My wife's dog is about 3 now and my guy has been there since her Day 1 so she'll be very confused and a mess once that day comes as well. We had a family dog, he was my dad's dog, that was put down when I was about 7, and he never got another one after that.

Huskerbuck85

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
Love it!

Good time for a question for the board I guess, my big lab turns 11 in May. Have had him since he was 10 weeks old. Obviously the time isn't too far away. Personally think it'll be a while before I'll be able to put emotion like that into a different dog but what kind of waiting time do people usually go through before getting a new dog? My wife's dog is about 3 now and my guy has been there since her Day 1 so she'll be very confused and a mess once that day comes as well. We had a family dog, he was my dad's dog, that was put down when I was about 7, and he never got another one after that.
Just don’t get another. One less mouth to feed, mess to clean up, thing to deal with when you travel, etc. dogs are great when hunting or they’re just hanging out next to you on the couch but the rest of the time they just cause you to deal with more than you should have to.

Lost my lab in 2005, she was 1.5yrs old and got a heart condition. While she was just hitting her stride for obedience and being brilliant in her command following she passed. I loved her every second I had her and didn’t think twice about taking care of her any way she needed. But, I had the choice to do or not do it all again and I chose to not have anything extra to deal with. It’s worked out fine.

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
Just don’t get another. One less mouth to feed, mess to clean up, thing to deal with when you travel, etc. dogs are great when hunting or they’re just hanging out next to you on the couch but the rest of the time they just cause you to deal with more than you should have to.

Lost my lab in 2005, she was 1.5yrs old and got a heart condition. While she was just hitting her stride for obedience and being brilliant in her command following she passed. I loved her every second I had her and didn’t think twice about taking care of her any way she needed. But, I had the choice to do or not do it all again and I chose to not have anything extra to deal with. It’s worked out fine.
My wife's dog has kind of become my dog in certain ways. We have a 19 month old daughter and so obviously the attention has swung that way instead of the dog for the most part, from my wife's perspective. It's fine with me as I still have to do the daily things for my lab but I just don't have the same connection. My wife takes care of all the major things like vet appointments and vet bills and grooming stuff but day to day things like walking and feeding are things that I do, which happens a lot more than the others. So I'm sure that will fill some of the void someday when he's gone but the connection just isn't close to the same. And I'll probably think of him when I'm around so it'll just be weird. My wife has said a couple times that we should probably get another one so she has a friend again but I don't really think that's fair to the dog if you can't put that kind of emotion to it from Day 1.

2010sarenevercoming

5 Star Punter
Elite Member
Love it!

Make sure you actually want another one, & wait long enough that you're not using it to avoid grieving the loss of the first one.

Boondock_St_Sker

That Dude
Elite Member
I want all the puppies and once they get about 8 months...off they go to their forever home.

Trip is a great name!! looks like a good dog! Enjoy

ISUforNU

Cornerback
Elite Member
Love it!

One piece of advice that has worked numerous times for us. When it's time to put down the older dog, take the younger dog with you when you do it. Allow the younger dog some time with the older dog before and after you put it down. I firmly believe, it helps the younger dog to comprehend and adjust.

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
One piece of advice that has worked numerous times for us. When it's time to put down the older dog, take the younger dog with you when you do it. Allow the younger dog some time with the older dog before and after you put it down. I firmly believe, it helps the younger dog to comprehend and adjust.
That’s a great idea, thank you. Hadn’t thought of that. Their relationship is unique cause they always say have 2
Puppies together so they can be each others’ chew toy. We’ll, he is her chew toy, not really the other way around. He doesn’t love it, but he puts up with it. I think she loves him more than he loves her but he certainly gets excited when she comes home from somewhere without him.

Thank you, I appreciate it and will keep that in mind

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds