Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Nebrasketball 2024-25 Roster Ins/Outs (5 Viewers)

GBRfr

Linebacker
Elite Member
I didn't say I didn't want him, but I'm not gonna sit here and pretend like he's some program savior. He'd be a good sixth or seventh man.
No one said he’s a program savior but he would take us to another level imo. Adding a 15-20ppg guy is exactly what we need. Williams could maybe take that step for us but it would be great to have both him and Fidler starting for us.

MtnHusker

Heisman Winner
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG
We literally just lost a 15ppg scorer who was probably our greatest shooter of all time??

Yeah who wants a 6’7 G/SF that averaged 20ppg last year on 45% from the field and 35% from 3?

We should be set with 3 guys that averaged 12 ppg and a pg that averaged 8ppg and Griffiths a transfer who averaged under 6 a game. Might as well cool on Fidler and watch him go to Wisky and be all B1G lmao
I think we would all love to add the local boy Fidler but realistically he is not going to start over proven Power6 players like Williams or Gary. Both bigger and better rebounders & defenders. Same goes with Griffiths as he's bigger plus much more athletic and was a Top 25 recruit in the 2023 Class. He took over a couple games for Rutgers last season. It would be a great problem to have if we had Williams, Gary, Griffiths & Fidler plus maybe Janowski all giving us quality minutes at the 2 & 3.

I think we have a deeper better line up than Wisc right now. The other concern is Fidler was a volume shooter/scorer at UNO which was fine when Miles was the coach here as he loved having 1 primary chucker on the team like Petteway or Palmer. But they can shoot you in or out of a game. Ride or Die with them. I think Fred learned his lesson from when we had Teddy Ball Game. We spread the ball around and ride the hot hand plus our players need to play team defense.

Goskers07

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
tPB OG
No one said he’s a program savior but he would take us to another level imo. Adding a 15-20ppg guy is exactly what we need. Williams could maybe take that step for us but it would be great to have both him and Fidler starting for us.
But he won't be starting. He knows that. Hence why the prevailing theory now is that he goes back to Omaha.

...TrueColors...

Graduate Assistant
Insider

I don’t think Fidler would start here.

I’m also not sure why there is such a stigma around not starting. There are certainly a lot of nights throughout the year where the guys off the bench play more than the starters.

GBRfr

Linebacker
Elite Member
I think we would all love to add the local boy Fidler but realistically he is not going to start over proven Power6 players like Williams or Gary. Both bigger and better rebounders & defenders. Same goes with Griffiths as he's bigger plus much more athletic and was a Top 25 recruit in the 2023 Class. He took over a couple games for Rutgers last season. It would be a great problem to have if we had Williams, Gary, Griffiths & Fidler plus maybe Janowski all giving us quality minutes at the 2 & 3.

I think we have a deeper better line up than Wisc right now. The other concern is Fidler was a volume shooter/scorer at UNO which was fine when Miles was the coach here as he loved having 1 primary chucker on the team like Petteway or Palmer. But they can shoot you in or out of a game. Ride or Die with them. I think Fred learned his lesson from when we had Teddy Ball Game. We spread the ball around and ride the hot hand plus our players need to play team defense.
Fidler averaged 13 fg attempts per game last year and 4 threes, 20ppg. Williams averaged 10 fg attempts per game 4 threes. I don’t think he’s the volume guy you believe.

I say all this as a total omaha hater, I dont care about him being local. I personally think he would be a steal. It’s hard to average 20ppg at any level. And no one who averages 20ppg is going to a school to not start. I bet that’s never actually happened before.

jickey moseph

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
Fidler averaged 13 fg attempts per game last year and 4 threes, 20ppg. Williams averaged 10 fg attempts per game 4 threes. I don’t think he’s the volume guy you believe.

I say all this as a total omaha hater, I dont care about him being local. I personally think he would be a steal. It’s hard to average 20ppg at any level. And no one who averages 20ppg is going to a school to not start. I bet that’s never actually happened before.
I agree with you, to an extent; Fidler was going to the line close to 8 times a game last season. With that being said, he is/was an excellent FT shooter so he made a lot of those.

I just don't know if he would draw fouls at the P6 level like he did in the Summit. I don't see him as a Shannon or Edey type that draws just hella fouls.

GBRfr

Linebacker
Elite Member
I agree with you, to an extent; Fidler was going to the line close to 8 times a game last season. With that being said, he is/was an excellent FT shooter so he made a lot of those.

I just don't know if he would draw fouls at the P6 level like he did in the Summit. I don't see him as a Shannon or Edey type that draws just hella fouls.
There is a big difference between summit league and the B1G but we’ve seen it so many times. Look at what Knecht just did, obviously Fidler isn’t Knecht but 6’7, jumping from northern colorado to Tennessee and he’s national player of the year type. Basketball is the easiest sport to make the jump up a major conference.

jickey moseph

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
There is a big difference between summit league and the B1G but we’ve seen it so many times. Look at what Knecht just did, obviously Fidler isn’t Knecht but 6’7, jumping from northern colorado to Tennessee and he’s national player of the year type. Basketball is the easiest sport to make the jump up a major conference.
Knecht is also in an entirely different stratosphere of athleticism, to be fair...

LNKinLNK

Bench Warmer
Elite Member
Yeah, and Brice Williams also seemed to transition just fine. I don't think it's a stretch to say he is better than Brice Williams was at Charlotte. He's more well rounded on offense. It's hard to know how any of these lower transfers will do at the highest level--some flop, some thrive more than they did at the lower level (Knecht). I think it's possible Fidler would lead us in scoring next year.

Southendzonehusker

Defensive Lineman
Elite Member
This might be one of the funniest posts I’ve seen itt. Y'all are seriously sleeping on Fidler. Wisconsin literally wants him to replace Storr.
If Wisconsin wants him so bad why is he gonna go back to UNO for $90K? They would be able to offer him way more and easily purpose a bigger role at a P6 school. He had double the shot attempts from any teammate at UNO and isn’t a defender. Every school that’s recruiting him now wants him as a 6th man. The best place for him is back at UNO.

Baron Winnebago

Scrote Statistician
tPB OG
Yeah, and Brice Williams also seemed to transition just fine. I don't think it's a stretch to say he is better than Brice Williams was at Charlotte. He's more well rounded on offense. It's hard to know how any of these lower transfers will do at the highest level--some flop, some thrive more than they did at the lower level (Knecht). I think it's possible Fidler would lead us in scoring next year.
I looked at about 10 high scoring, lower conference transfers out of last year's portal and it looks like the "typical" outcome is about a 30-40% haircut on PPG.

Williams is a weird dude given that he started every game for us after coming off the bench at Charlotte most of his last year there.

MtnHusker

Heisman Winner
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG
For every Knecht there are also players who struggle to transition to higher levels of competition. Plus Knecht is on a completely different level athletically. Boogie Coleman was a stud at Ball St, barely saw the floor for us. Kansas was counting on Nicholas Timberlake to be their outside shooter as he excelled at Towson University and was highly sought after in the portal scoring 17.7/game shooting 41.6% from 3 for Towson. He was a bust at KU scoring 5.2 pts/game only shooting 30.3% from 3 for KU. Trevor Lake was a bust for us after playing well at University of Indianapolis. Matev Kavos transfer from Seattle was an All WAC player leading the conference in 3 pointers and 3 pt percentage, yet struggled to produce for us. Shot 45.8 from 3 for them and only 33.8% for us from 3.

We have no idea what the floor or ceiling is with Fidler if he transitions to a Power6 conference. Same could be said for Williams & Mast last year but they both excelled for us.

Dr.DrakeRamoray

Wide Receiver
Insider
tPB OG
Knecht is a MUCH better athlete and defender. I watch more UNO basketball than anyone on the board. He is an awesome offensive player but he’s going to torched on D

GBRfr

Linebacker
Elite Member
Knecht is a MUCH better athlete and defender. I watch more UNO basketball than anyone on the board. He is an awesome offensive player but he’s going to torched on D
I said obviously Fidler isn’t Knecht, the point was someone can go from No Colorado to player of the year type. Someone that thinks Fidlers game doesn’t transition to P5 simply doesn’t know basketball or thinks it’s still the 90s.

Frogsker30

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
Obviously who know how frankie would be in the big leagues. But its done before. I know hes a Pickle Smoochers but look at baylor

Mustangblood

Cornerback
Elite Member
So if fidler is looking like a long shot, I’m really liking the size and athleticism we’ve gotten so far, anyone concerned about where scoring is going to come from? Williams hopefully takes another step forward but without Lawrence and keisei out on the floor with him it could get congested a lot more and slow him down. As much as I like what Gary is as a player, proficient scorer isn’t how I’d describe him. The PG we got isn’t a threat from deep either. We really need to bring in a top of the line shooter don’t don’t we?

MtnHusker

Heisman Winner
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG
Being told that AJ Storr committed to Kansas. Glad he is out of the B1G. Maybe Wisc can offer more time. Don’t they return 2 starters similar sized? Klesmit and another player I’m drawing a blank on

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds