Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

NCAA being sued to prevent any transfer restritions. I hate this. (1 Viewer)

Ripping Lips

And I ain’t talking about fish
Elite Member
It basically means employers can’t band together to control where their employees can work and thereby affect how much they can make - it’s illegal and has been for many decades (and control where they go to school)
So they are now arguing that student athletes are now considered employees? If that’s the case, then what’s the point of having them attend classes and have scholarship restrictions since they are now employees.

I’m just surprised that no one such as the XFL or USFL just said fuck it, we will now create an alternative for high school kids to do nothing but play football vice going to college and get paid for their time.

With NIL and the transfer portal, there’s no going back and college sports could be a thing of the past. There will be semi pro or developmental leagues for the high schoolers where they don’t have to school and get paid. The NCAA really fucked things up,

Cornicator

Cornerback
Insider
So they are now arguing that student athletes are now considered employees? If that’s the case, then what’s the point of having them attend classes and have scholarship restrictions since they are now employees.

I’m just surprised that no one such as the XFL or USFL just said fuck it, we will now create an alternative for high school kids to do nothing but play football vice going to college and get paid for their time.

With NIL and the transfer portal, there’s no going back and college sports could be a thing of the past. There will be semi pro or developmental leagues for the high schoolers where they don’t have to school and get paid. The NCAA really fucked things up,

Leagues like the XFL don't have the avaliable capital to handle a league with 18 to 20 year-old kids only.

As for the original topic, these rules are going to continue to really hurt the G5 conferences.

Bootleg11

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
The next move is someone like Tuas brother suing to play more years. Who is the NCAA or conference to tell someone how many years they can play? Player isn’t their employee, ncaa is hurting their earning power.

Collective bargaining is going to have to come soon. Football teams that aren’t actually a part of the university but only using the university’s license.

It all sucks, but the admin brought this upon themselves when they put the almighty dollar above all. Can’t do that and then tell others they can’t do the same.

Ripping Lips

Elite Member
Leagues like the XFL don't have the avaliable capital to handle a league with 18 to 20 year-old kids only.

As for the original topic, these rules are going to continue to really hurt the G5 conferences.
Maybe the XFL was a bad example, but what’s stopping NFL owners who have fuck you money from starting a farm league like MLB? Let’s be honest, the only some of these colleges have shitloads if money is because of CFB. But I can see a way where kids who don’t qualify or wanna attend college can find a way to go pro while making money.

Bootleg11

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member

Actually just the opposite. They are saying “hey you (ncaa) said I’m not an employee, so how can you tell me where I can or can’t go to earn money?”

Ripping Lips

Elite Member
Actually just the opposite. They are saying “hey you (ncaa) said I’m not an employee, so how can you tell me where I can or can’t go to earn money?”
Is it about making money or are they saying education? The NCAA is not stopping them for making money at any school IRT NIL. Even employees are free to leave and go find employment elsewhere. This whole thing is fubared and the NCAA president is spineless to fix it.

Harbaugh also dropped a bomb that some missed saying that student athletes should get a chunk of the TV revenue as well. The next thing you know non revenue generating sports will want equal pay to the football players.

Cornicator

Cornerback
Insider
Maybe the XFL was a bad example, but what’s stopping NFL owners who have fuck you money from starting a farm league like MLB? Let’s be honest, the only some of these colleges have shitloads if money is because of CFB. But I can see a way where kids who don’t qualify or wanna attend college can find a way to go pro while making money.

I am astounded that we are having this discussion.

NFL owners with Fvck you money still care about making money. Those dudes don't take on investments without the possibility of a return. And the notion that investing in a feeder league is going to pay off later is almost absurd. The NFL isn't struggling to find players within the current model.

The NFL owners have acquired massive wealth because they're shrewd businessmen or they've inherited their money from shrewd businessmen. Everyone of them are earning insane profits from the league, even the bad franchises are making ridiculous money thanks to revenue sharing. And that reality is what's stopping them from taking on a bad idea.

A league full of 18 and 19 year old kids is not going to gain ANY tread financially. Those owners aren't going to run something that will lose millions.

And all of them are absolutely fine with the current pipeline coming on from College Football. They give two shits whether college players are compensated or not.

Tsakoi

Running Back
Elite Member
Once the mask of amateur status has been completely ripped off the magic of college sports will be gone. You are already seeing it become like the English Premier League where the richest clubs buy anyone good and the smaller clubs just live in the bottom half of the league fighting for top league survival every year.

Even the NFL knew they had to curtail spending and not let their league become a place where whoever is willing to spend the most wins. Once the fans of teams like Kansas, Cockeye State, Texas Tech and South Carolina realize they have absolutely zero chance each year they will lose interest completely. New fans won't be attracted and the game we love will die by self inflicted wounds.

European Soccer is the perfect example of fan apathy. Ask any Villarreal or Valladolid fan what their goal is in Spanish football. Finish at best in 7th place. Maybe score a goal against Real Madrid. Ask a German fan who will win the league this year, next year and the year after that. Bayern, Bayern, Bayern. In England a Russian billionaire bought Chelsea success and now Man City let's foreign investors fund their championships. It is literally an accounting exercise and no longer a sport in most cases.

This is where we are headed.

Huskerbuck85

Wide Receiver
Elite Member

NCAA sucks but government overreach fucks things up. #bidensamerica (kinda kidding, it would happen regardless)

Carm

Graduate Assistant
Recruiting Analyst
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG
Not exactly in this case - they are saying that the schools are illegally making rules that limit their ability to make money.

Employee/non-employee is being litigated in other cases.

Carm

Graduate Assistant
Recruiting Analyst
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG
NCAA sucks but government overreach fucks things up. #bidensamerica (kinda kidding, it would happen regardless)
it's not government overreach. It's State AG's who filed suit because they had fans and schools within their borders pissed off because the NCAA was no longer handing out transfer waivers.

Last month, the states of Ohio, Colorado, Illinois, New York, North Carolina, Tennessee and West Virginia filed this lawsuit in the Northern District of West Virginia. Shortly after filing, the court granted the states’ request for a temporary restraining order, finding the NCAA’s Transfer Eligibility Rule likely violates Section 1 of the Sherman Act. Today, plaintiffs filed an amended complaint adding the United States, the states of Minnesota, Mississippi and Virginia and the District of Columbia as co-plaintiffs.

BluesBucksNHuskers

Running Back
Elite Member
This feels like people are letting their longing for how things used to feel cloud their judgement of the impact this is having.

How does it negatively impact anyone that kids are moving around more? For 10-20% of kids they are doing what’s best for them, kids are moving from D2 and getting their shot in D1 that they’ve earned. Players that were lied to are getting another shot. Kids that feel entitled without any merit are getting a dose of reality.

Another byproduct, 5 years ago it felt like we could already say which 3-4 teams would even have a shot at winning the chip, very accurately, months before season even starts. Now? I could probably give you 10 teams that it wouldn’t surprise me if they won the natty next year. Schools are less able to stockpile an ungodly amount of talent based on their allure to 17/18 year olds.

All of this transfer stuff is VERY beneficial to Nebraska, yet we have a large % of fans yelling at clouds over it because it feels different than what college football was in 1983

Bootleg11

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
Is it about making money or are they saying education? The NCAA is not stopping them for making money at any school IRT NIL. Even employees are free to leave and go find employment elsewhere. This whole thing is fubared and the NCAA president is spineless to fix it.

Harbaugh also dropped a bomb that some missed saying that student athletes should get a chunk of the TV revenue as well. The next thing you know non revenue generating sports will want equal pay to the football players.
And this is when you'll see college football break away from the university and then buy a license to represent the school. That will avoid Title IX issues.

Steveweiser316

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
If there aren’t any limitations to how many times a coach can go from school to school - why should there be limitations for the players?

Baron Winnebago

Scrote Statistician
Elite Member
tPB OG
It's interesting how the DOJ is joining this at the same time congress has proposed a bill that gives the NCAA an antitrust exemption and is their big pie in the sky dream for controlling athletes. I don't think it'll pass any time soon but the roller coaster ride is no where close to over

Huskerbuck85

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
it's not government overreach. It's State AG's who filed suit because they had fans and schools within their borders pissed off because the NCAA was no longer handing out transfer waivers.

Last month, the states of Ohio, Colorado, Illinois, New York, North Carolina, Tennessee and West Virginia filed this lawsuit in the Northern District of West Virginia. Shortly after filing, the court granted the states’ request for a temporary restraining order, finding the NCAA’s Transfer Eligibility Rule likely violates Section 1 of the Sherman Act. Today, plaintiffs filed an amended complaint adding the United States, the states of Minnesota, Mississippi and Virginia and the District of Columbia as co-plaintiffs.
Wouldn’t the “States” be considered state government?

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds