Welcome to the forum 👋, Visitor

To access the forum content and all our services, you must register or log in to the forum. Becoming a member of the forum is completely free.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

March 1 drinking thread

Johannes de Silentio

Offensive Lineman
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG
I'm just about winding down and figured I'd do a little scotch drinking, breaking into a Rosebank 1992 21 yo (2014, the last bottling Diageo did before selling the stocks to Ian MacLeod) I only opened a couple weeks ago. Should be ready to draft up some douchey tasting notes on the next pour.

Also, do you like apples (and pears)? Because I just bought this fucker:

1614634716146.png

Probably Basil Hayden Dark Rye, Templeton or Crown Rye
So, as a scotch douchebag, I used to really read Jim Murray's Whisky Bible each year with great interest. It's a pretty common entry-point for many novices, sort of like training wheels on a bike: necessary, perhaps, but soon discarded if you're serious at all. He gets a lot of his press by naming a somewhat controversial pick each year as his "Whisky of the Year." Being a Brit, it's long been taken as an affront whenever it's not a scotch. Frankly, he's not always so bad, because he's names some very good bourbons (Staggs, Wellers, etc.) and Japanese (Yamazaki). However, one year he decided the Crown Royal Northern Harvest Rye was the best. People lost their minds. Now, I don't think it's THAT good, but I bought a bottle and found it to be pretty damn solid for the price.

If you're able to grab a Colonel E.H. Taylor BiB Rye, I'd recommend you do so. Still one of my favorites.

Hitching Post and Folded Hills on SAT

Hitching Post and Strange on SUN

HP is the place to start beacuse the BBQ for lunch is good.

I liked all of them. Folded Hills was the best wine and the Strange was coolest place
I'd love to go hang out in wine country and drink with some nice food thrown in every so often.

That being said, we did celebrate the wife's birthday on Saturday (actually today) with some very fancy-ass wine and cheese. Lovely time.

So, as a scotch douchebag, I used to really read Jim Murray's Whisky Bible each year with great interest. It's a pretty common entry-point for many novices, sort of like training wheels on a bike: necessary, perhaps, but soon discarded if you're serious at all. He gets a lot of his press by naming a somewhat controversial pick each year as his "Whisky of the Year." Being a Brit, it's long been taken as an affront whenever it's not a scotch. Frankly, he's not always so bad, because he's names some very good bourbons (Staggs, Wellers, etc.) and Japanese (Yamazaki). However, one year he decided the Crown Royal Northern Harvest Rye was the best. People lost their minds. Now, I don't think it's THAT good, but I bought a bottle and found it to be pretty damn solid for the price.

If you're able to grab a Colonel E.H. Taylor BiB Rye, I'd recommend you do so. Still one of my favorites.
I have shared with @HuskerGarrett that Weller Full Proof is the best liquor I have ever had. I rarely drink at home, I’m a social drinker. I have never had a scotch that I thought was good. But I’m kind of a puss.

I tried Basil Hayden Dark Rye as a suggestion from a bar owner in Wichita. I guess it’s somewhat controversial amongst purist because it is mixed with port wine. But I liked it a lot.

I prefer bourbon/whiskey on the rocks or cut with some water in the winter. Vodka/water or gin and tonics when it’s warm. And Natty Light any time.

I have shared with @HuskerGarrett that Weller Full Proof is the best liquor I have ever had. I rarely drink at home, I’m a social drinker. I have never had a scotch that I thought was good. But I’m kind of a puss.

I tried Basil Hayden Dark Rye as a suggestion from a bar owner in Wichita. I guess it’s somewhat controversial amongst purist because it is mixed with port wine. But I liked it a lot.

I prefer bourbon/whiskey on the rocks or cut with some water in the winter. Vodka/water or gin and tonics when it’s warm. And Natty Light any time.
Murray usually picked the super-fancy William LaRue Weller from the Buffalo Trace Antique Collection (same deal with the George T. Stagg, not Stagg Jr.).

I usually can get someone to find a scotch they like, but it can sometimes take a little time. Easier done at a bar where there's lot of options. In any event, not all of them are the "put some hair on your chest/ass" bruisers that shit like Laphroaig and other peat monsters are.

I'd love to go hang out in wine country and drink with some nice food thrown in every so often.

That being said, we did celebrate the wife's birthday on Saturday (actually today) with some very fancy-ass wine and cheese. Lovely time.

There was 7 of us, 3 marrieds and ... me. Three of them had b-days in the last week.

I went to HS there, and two of the marrieds just bought a house there at the end of JAN '21, as they like to drink wine, and well, because LA is a shithole.

I wanted to see their place and we drink for free at tastings because they are all members of the clubs. It was a good weekend.

Weller Full Proof is definitely a pound for pound top 2 or 3 ever. Fantastic Stuff.

Theme customization system

You can customize some areas of the forum theme from this menu.

• Wide/Narrow view

You can control a structure that you can use to use your theme wide or narrow.

Grid view forum list

You can control the layout of the forum list in a grid or ordinary listing style structure.

Picture grid mode

You can control the structure where you can open/close images in the grid forum list.

Close sidebar

You can get rid of the crowded view in the forum by closing the sidebar.

Fixed sidebar

You can make it more useful and easier to access by pinning the sidebar.

Close radius

You can use the radius at the corners of the blocks according to your taste by closing/opening it.

• Color combinations cannot be used

Color combinations are not available to you, this area may be restricted by administrators. Please contact the administrator for more information.

Backgrounds are not available!

Background checks are not available to you, this area may be restricted by administrators. Please contact the administrator for more information.

Back