Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Is Nebraska/the fanbase scared of an air raid offense? (1 Viewer)

God is a Husker

Pussy Posse
tPB OG
I think one of Nebraskas biggest issues has been switching offense every 3-4 years.

Went Option - WCO - Run Based Spread - WCO - Frost Spread - Run based offense

Wonder what the team would have been like if in 2003 we were just like whatever we do we are gonna be a run based spread team.

If the 2004-to-2014 spread offense that had a basic zone read as it’s centerpiece came into popularity a few years earlier…. Lordy.

Nebraska would run elements of it with Crouch in 2001 but then would revert randomly back to i-formation vanilla between the tackle runs like a schizo and end up punting or settling for a field goal. (IMO: Solich should never have been calling plays.)

Personnel wise I think it would have been an easier transition and easier to recruit had we gone from what Barney Cotton was running in 2003 to a more modern spread. Obviously we all saw what happened trying to teach/run the WCO system with the existing players and recruiting pro style or WCO players was much more competitive (especially back then) vs. less competition and easier to find players to fit your needs in a spread offense.

Ex: locally we produce a lot of players that are just a little bit too short, slow, skinny, etc to be considered traditionally “prototypical”. It’s easier to hide certain physical deficiencies of your players running the spread. (2 most common examples are probably a short QB or shorter OL)

What you think @slattimer ?

Huskerscoop

Linebacker
Elite Member
We need to be able to score points, especially with the teams coming into the conference. This ground and pound style, imo, wont be sustainable going forward.

SlumpBuster

Cornerback
Elite Member
We need to be able to score points, especially with the teams coming into the conference. This ground and pound style, imo, wont be sustainable going forward.
I would say the exact opposite. The teams that control the ball and play physical (ala Michigan) will control this conference.

Note: I didn't say you don't need to have a good offense. But physical and ball control will beat the spread on equal talent teams I'm convinced of that. Especially if you have a decent defense.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds