Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Is it possible to have a QB running game going forwad? (2 Viewers)

Kaladin

Professor of Aesthetics / Positive Boogeyman
Elite Member
In the new era of college football we are entering, where the Big 10 and SEC are NFL Light...how useful is it to have a running QB? How many of these QBs can take a beating every year running the ball? Haarberg is a big kid and he looked like he'd had enough by the Illinois game.

HuskerPAC

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
Some can. Depends on how they take hits and avoid hits. Jalen Milroe doesn’t seem to take many big shots, teams know he’s going to run, and he still gets away with it.

Alcaus

Quarterback
Elite Member
tPB OG
The best teams in the SEC have guys that can run, it’s just not the focus of the offense. There’s a QB running game there it’s just conservative.

I think Bama is the exception, though. Once they started letting Milroe run their offense turned around.

tman87

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
The threat that a QB can elude defenders and gain yards and first downs with his feet is very important. But running the QB on very many designed QB runs is asking for injury issues. I think it is important to be able to run a read option, or even a QB draw, at times. But we shouldn't try to hang our hat on any of that. Just gotta show the QB is a true threat the defense has to account for by gaining yards with his feet.

BIGSTICK67

Board Chairman - TPB, LLC
Elite Member
tPB OG
The best teams in the SEC have guys that can run, it’s just not the focus of the offense. There’s a QB running game there it’s just conservative.

I think Bama is the exception, though. Once they started letting Milroe run their offense turned around.

This, but maybe to a lesser degree until you build your QB room. I think a few designed runs per game is max - not over 5.

But you want someone that when they scramble, they can get you the 1st down. Think Chubba in the Wisconsin game. I realized he housed it, but you need someone who has a feel for the pocket and can bust out if necessary.

Alcaus

Quarterback
Elite Member
tPB OG
This, but maybe to a lesser degree until you build your QB room. I think a few designed runs per game is max - not over 5.

But you want someone that when they scramble, they can get you the 1st down. Think Chubba in the Wisconsin game. I realized he housed it, but you need someone who has a feel for the pocket and can bust out if necessary.
Yeah, having a QB who possess a secondary weapon in his running ability makes it hard on defenses.

I think it’s the most obvious competitive advantage at a single position in all of college sports outside a 7’6” center.

Stan Raymond

Cornerback
In the new era of college football we are entering, where the Big 10 and SEC are NFL Light...how useful is it to have a running QB? How many of these QBs can take a beating every year running the ball? Haarberg is a big kid and he looked like he'd had enough by the Illinois game.
Hard to have two QBs ready to go, as backups transfer quickly. Don't want to spend a million plus on a QB to have him injured and not playing.

So yeah, I think you will see less called QB runs in the future. But there will still be some RPOs and Read Options and some Scrambles and some called QB runs in the endzone. But overall I think it will be less, as teams need to keep their QB healthy.

Poor_and_Stupid

Prolific Beaver Murderer
Elite Member
Hard to have two QBs ready to go, as backups transfer quickly. Don't want to spend a million plus on a QB to have him injured and not playing.
Yup. And I get wanting to instill a tough mentality, but for the love of god if we get someone decent let them run out of bounds or slide before taking a hit. If you’ve got the first down does an extra yard or 2 really matter? Not if you end your season with a pointless injury.

Milo-of-Croton

Cornerback
Elite Member
Just me, but I prefer a pass first, run second quarterback. Scramble to turn nothing into something, slide or get out of bounds. We run the option from time to time, but are not committed to it so it seldom works. Let the running backs carry the load of the running game.

God is a Husker

Pussy Posse
tPB OG
Honestly I think I can go without designed qb runs being apart of the offense. Just complete a fuckin pass

Fv9_gr9WwAAQGJa

BluesBucksNHuskers

Running Back
Elite Member
I used to like TOs quote about “When you throw the ball only 3 things can happen and 2 of them are bad.”

Those odds now seem more favorable than the results of our QB running the ball.

HCFord1

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
tPB OG
I used to like TOs quote about “When you throw the ball only 3 things can happen and 2 of them are bad.”

Those odds now seem more favorable than the results of our QB running the ball.
I've always hated that quote. I know that someone as smart as TO should understand weighted probability and expected value.

HerbRedman

Quarterback
Elite Member
tPB OG
I don't need it, honestly. QB run game can fuck off AFAIC. Maybe some Russell Wilson-type mini scrambling, that's the maximum of what I'd want.

RE: running QBs - Beyond what you wrote OP, CFB has a bigger problem in that bc if NIL and the transfer portal, NO SCHOOL has a good QB backup anymore. So you can't afford to get your starting QB injured.

Looked at the backup for Cockeye. Even the backup for FSU. Teams cannot afford to have their starting QB out for the season. CFB is in a worse spot than the NFL for this. Blue blood programs used to have a 5* QB as a backup but not anymore.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds