Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

I think Carpenter may have actually nailed the hires on Rivals (1 Viewer)

Johannes de Silentio

Safety
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG
People focus on Clouse based on his historical work, but his hire and part-time arrangement didn't move the needle at all for me. So far, the quantity and type of content he's produced there has largely confirmed that impression. When it was essentially just Carpenter doing everything and the occasional Clouse chat, I had a hard time seeing Rivals surviving even having the legacy subscriber base and one of the few markets in the country that could theoretically support three (or more) pay sites.

However, the moves he's made recently have really been impressive. Greg Smith strikes me as a recruiting correspondent who actually brings some unique value. He clearly has the motivation and ability to get in with local prospects. His recent pieces on Coleman, Gottula, and Hall have each been worth checking out--nothing like that right now on Tater Island. Indeed, having a local guy that knows the area and is able to actually visit high schools and camps versus Mongo operating out of Texas may end up being a real advantage for Rivals.

While I haven't checked out as much of his stuff, I have to say that Steve Marik also seems like he could be decent. If nothing else, he's allowing the Rivals site to compete with Tater Island in terms of sheer quantity of output. Frankly, on a lot of this stuff, it's basically just conveying information that's out there in a digestible format, e.g., those notes on the Sports Nightly interviews. Having bodies to throw at those is important; Carpenter can't do it all.

For the first time, I'm reconsidering canceling on Rivals. Probably going to keep Tater Island regardless, because I think their national network is going to keep growing and paying dividends, but not sure Callahan's site is going to make me feel like I should consolidate down to only one pay site (besides this place, of course).

Juro

Sarcastic Ass
Elite Member
Bounty Hunter
People focus on Clouse based on his historical work, but his hire and part-time arrangement didn't move the needle at all for me. So far, the quantity and type of content he's produced there has largely confirmed that impression. When it was essentially just Carpenter doing everything and the occasional Clouse chat, I had a hard time seeing Rivals surviving even having the legacy subscriber base and one of the few markets in the country that could theoretically support three (or more) pay sites.

However, the moves he's made recently have really been impressive. Greg Smith strikes me as a recruiting correspondent who actually brings some unique value. He clearly has the motivation and ability to get in with local prospects. His recent pieces on Coleman, Gottula, and Hall have each been worth checking out--nothing like that right now on Tater Island. Indeed, having a local guy that knows the area and is able to actually visit high schools and camps versus Mongo operating out of Texas may end up being a real advantage for Rivals.

While I haven't checked out as much of his stuff, I have to say that Steve Marik also seems like he could be decent. If nothing else, he's allowing the Rivals site to compete with Tater Island in terms of sheer quantity of output. Frankly, on a lot of this stuff, it's basically just conveying information that's out there in a digestible format, e.g., those notes on the Sports Nightly interviews. Having bodies to throw at those is important; Carpenter can't do it all.

For the first time, I'm reconsidering canceling on Rivals. Probably going to keep Tater Island regardless, because I think their national network is going to keep growing and paying dividends, but not sure Callahan's site is going to make me feel like I should consolidate down to only one pay site (besides this place, of course).
I’ll end up back on Rivals. Might use a different email to get back on tMB since I’m still bant on it.

kenyanfeline

Pussy Patrol
Insider
Elite Member
All I heard is “blah blah blah all boards suck besides The Platinum Board.”
monday night raw whatever GIF by WWE

Jim14510

GOD MOD
Admin
Elite Member
tPB OG
I already canceled Tater Island. I like the rivals guys. As you said it's not complicated. Bring us the info in legible format in one spot. Callahan's super serious attitude like he's bringing the word of God to the heathens makes me want to slice every inch of skin from barons face with a rake. Mongo is Mongo and Matya is angry at the world. Robin is fine but I only care about basketball during basketball and not if they suck.

The Bearded One

Safety
Elite Member

Although it's always a tuff decision to ever go against you, I've been creeping on both boards since the transition, I feel like Tater Island has more potential to Troll and converersate solely on popular response.

MtnHusker

Heisman Winner
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG
I think Rivals has been the better lately. They have assembled a much better staff of writers plus is much more professional. Dean really likes his Side Hustles trying to build his empire which I think hurts the quality of his product.

Johannes de Silentio

Safety
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG
Although it's always a tuff decision to ever go against you, I've been creeping on both boards since the transition, I feel like Tater Island has more potential to Troll and converersate solely on popular response.
I think you're right, though. The goober factor on Tater Island/RSS definitely is better than what's on Rivals/Insider's Board. Outside of staff content, the board is pretty dead other than TC doing God's work.

Johannes de Silentio

Safety
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG
I think Rivals has been the better lately. They have assembled a much better staff of writers plus is much more professional. Dean really likes his Side Hustles trying to build his empire which I think hurts the quality of his product.
I think you can have Mongo or Matya as a #2 guy to someone who is full-time and either a true-blue journalist or a guy with team/recruiting staff connections. But yeah, when your entire recruiting coverage is based around guys who do it sort of on-the-side, it can be a problem.

tman87

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
I agree that Rivals/now Insider's Board is actually pretty good, and their new top crew are more professional. Just seems like more fair, straight-forward news and reporting. I think they are gonna be fine and do well.

Tater Island - not impressed if being honest (not a knock on anyone in particular, just what it is for me). Yeah, they basically took the entire Rivals/RSS crew with them, added Sipple, but overall I am not a big fan of the feel of the site so far. It was what, a buck a month for the first year? Or maybe just a buck for the entire first year. Regardless, basically no cost to check them out and see how they unfold. For a buck a month, I will keep it for the first year, but don't think I want/need to keep that subscription once it becomes $10 a month or whatever, but that is TBD and there is plenty of time for Tater Island to up their game. Insider's Board/Rivals seems like they put together a really good crew of new people, and besides TPB, I rank it second on Husker sports boards. I prefer TPB over the others (don't do any other Husker boards besides the 3 mentioned), but Rivals/Insder's Board has definitely brought in people whom I think improve on what the other crew was before.

Adolph Coors

Fat
Elite Member
I think you can have Mongo or Matya as a #2 guy to someone who is full-time and either a true-blue journalist or a guy with team/recruiting staff connections. But yeah, when your entire recruiting coverage is based around guys who do it sort of on-the-side, it can be a problem.
Mongo went to every UNK practice in the spring. like what the fuck

Driveway Jordan

Wide Receiver
Insider
Nebrasketball
tPB OG
It's not even close. Carpenter actually knows recruiting and puts effort into it...instead of making 1 lazy prediction in his 3-2-1 every week, sitting back and collecting subscriber gravy, making Tannor's commercials, and going on local radio to bitch about the Platinum board.

The new guys on Rivals work circles about Mongo, Matya, and Rosenthal-light (Sipple). I used to like Robin, but it seems even he has gotten a little arrogant with the move to Tater Island.

MtnHusker

Heisman Winner
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG
It's not even close. Carpenter actually knows recruiting and puts effort into it...instead of making 1 lazy prediction in his 3-2-1 every week, sitting back and collecting subscriber gravy, making Tannor's commercials, and going on local radio to bitch about the Platinum board.

The new guys on Rivals work circles about Mongo, Matya, and Rosenthal-light (Sipple). I used to like Robin, but it seems even he has gotten a little arrogant with the move to Tater Island.
Dean and his "Yes Men" seem like a bunch of Suck Ups that just want to stay on the good side of the Athletic Department by writing Fluff Pieces about the team and regurgitating what is said at Press Conferences. The professionalism that Carpenter is bringing is such a higher level than Dean's product. But I doubt Carpenter will sell himself out by speaking to the Ladies Knitting Guild in Lyons, Nebraska.

huskerj12

Wide Receiver
tPB OG
even he has gotten a little arrogant with the move to Tater Island.
"Arrogant" is a perfect word to describe the HOL guys since moving to Tater Island, as strange as it is to be arrogant about something like this haha. (Surprisingly Sipple is my favorite guy over there right now, he's a goofy homer but he knows it and can actually roll with the punches, unlike Dean)

But yeah, it's like HOL staff assumed everyone would gleefully move over to the new site and talk about how impressive and cool it is, and how the NIL calculator is so revolutionary, and HOW DARE Rivals not just close up shop after they left...

I like the hard working underdog feel of the new Rivals crew in comparison. The board isn't super active right now, but it's the dead of the offseason so I expect it to feel pretty normal once actual football starts back up. Seems like a lot of the doofuses migrated with Dean too so I'm interested to see how the two boards compare during the season. I have subscriptions through December but right now I'm fully planning on sticking with Rivals and cancelling Tater Island when the $1 deal runs out.

Driveway Jordan

Wide Receiver
Insider
Nebrasketball
tPB OG
"Arrogant" is a perfect word to describe the HOL guys since moving to Tater Island, as strange as it is to be arrogant about something like this haha. (Surprisingly Sipple is my favorite guy over there right now, he's a goofy homer but he knows it and can actually roll with the punches, unlike Dean)

But yeah, it's like HOL staff assumed everyone would gleefully move over to the new site and talk about how impressive and cool it is, and how the NIL calculator is so revolutionary, and HOW DARE Rivals not just close up shop after they left...

I like the hard working underdog feel of the new Rivals crew in comparison. The board isn't super active right now, but it's the dead of the offseason so I expect it to feel pretty normal once actual football starts back up. Seems like a lot of the doofuses migrated with Dean too so I'm interested to see how the two boards compare during the season. I have subscriptions through December but right now I'm fully planning on sticking with Rivals and cancelling Tater Island when the $1 deal runs out.
The guys on the Rivals site are just better journalists. Greg Smith and Steve Marik actually do it for a living. Mongo works in I.T., and no clue what Matya does for a living other than being the RSS cop.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds