Welcome to the forum 👋, Visitor

To access the forum content and all our services, you must register or log in to the forum. Becoming a member of the forum is completely free.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

I put this on RSS too but I want it here as well

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
I respect the opinions and discussions of this board much, much more.

I watched the totality of the National Title game last night. There were things that I realized even halfway through the game. I'm going to do my best to not ramble or rant, so I'll put it in bullet points

1. Scott Frost's offense will not work here to the level he wants it/we wanted it because he won't be able to get the same athletes to come here and stick like he had at Oregon and UCF. That window is gone. We needed a kickass 8-9 win year in Year 2 and it didn't happen. At the latest, it had to happen last year. Had to show some life and win 5+ games. We didn't. We had to convince those top level recruits to come and stay and develop and win and we didn't.

2. I want to make it clear that I think his offense does work fine with those elite level athletes. It's already shown it works and it shows it every Saturday in the SEC. Spread is the spread in my opinion. But you have to have those elite level athletes that go somewhere and stick and are there for 3-4 years and build quality depth. With where we're at in the program, it just won't happen. That's the truth

3. What does work here and seems to be the only thing that works here, is TO's offense or a style very similar. The offense that Scott QBd. Giant lineman, uner-recruited receivers with a chip on their shoulder, tough ass QB, and tough RBs. Put a neckroll on Garrett Nelson and let him go to work. That's what works HERE.

4. I know people say it wouldn't work and that it can't work anymore. People say that if it did, more people would run it. I think that's false. I think the reason people don't run it is because it isn't sexy and it isn't full of high scoring highlights. Since when do Nebraskans care about high scoring highlights? Realistically we could recruit that if we really wanted to. It's not like there isn't still throwing involved in those offenses and obviously QBs like to run and show off their abilities there too.

5. Truth of the matter is that old school style of football is the way back to some form of relevancy for US. I'm not saying national relevancy or anything like that. But enough to look respectable and not look embarrassing.

Run the damn ball Scott and put in a fullback in the Red Zone.

I watched the totality of the National Title game last night. There were things that I realized even halfway through the game. I'm going to do my best to not ramble or rant, so I'll put it in bullet points

1. Scott Frost's offense will not work here to the level he wants it/we wanted it because he won't be able to get the same athletes to come here and stick like he had at Oregon and UCF. That window is gone. We needed a kickass 8-9 win year in Year 2 and it didn't happen. At the latest, it had to happen last year. Had to show some life and win 5+ games. We didn't. We had to convince those top level recruits to come and stay and develop and win and we didn't.

2. I want to make it clear that I think his offense does work fine with those elite level athletes. It's already shown it works and it shows it every Saturday in the SEC. Spread is the spread in my opinion. But you have to have those elite level athletes that go somewhere and stick and are there for 3-4 years and build quality depth. With where we're at in the program, it just won't happen. That's the truth

3. What does work here and seems to be the only thing that works here, is TO's offense or a style very similar. The offense that Scott QBd. Giant lineman, uner-recruited receivers with a chip on their shoulder, tough ass QB, and tough RBs. Put a neckroll on Garrett Nelson and let him go to work. That's what works HERE.

4. I know people say it wouldn't work and that it can't work anymore. People say that if it did, more people would run it. I think that's false. I think the reason people don't run it is because it isn't sexy and it isn't full of high scoring highlights. Since when do Nebraskans care about high scoring highlights? Realistically we could recruit that if we really wanted to. It's not like there isn't still throwing involved in those offenses and obviously QBs like to run and show off their abilities there too.

5. Truth of the matter is that old school style of football is the way back to some form of relevancy for US. I'm not saying national relevancy or anything like that. But enough to look respectable and not look embarrassing.

1. His offense can work here. Every school gets athletes, development needs to be better, retainment needs to be better. You can't trot a bunch of walk-ons, or dudes not capable of getting separation from DBs in the RPO world. Other schools around the country have athletes that give other teams issues. I don't get where this narrative the offense won't work came from other than it's not been successful so far.

2. You hit on the need for development and retainment, none of which we have. If that happens, the offense will get better and be more problematic.

3. I'm to the point, I don't care what offense they run, but we didn't exactly have giants on the OL, not in comparison today's OL. We also had some elite RBs and QBs on the roster.

4. Good recruiters are good recruiters, I don't care what system they run, they'll find talent and develop it.

5. It may be...I have my doubts and prefer spread football myself.

I don’t usually watch non-Nebraska games and come up with Nebraska conclusions. But if we must, the one I came to last night was that the top three are in a different planet than everyone else. It’s Bama, Clemson, and tOSU’s world and we all just live here.

I don’t usually watch non-Nebraska games and come up with Nebraska conclusions. But if we must, the one I came to last night was that the top three are in a different planet than everyone else. It’s Bama, Clemson, and tOSU’s world and we all just live here.
And teams like Notre Dame have rosters loaded with 40+ 4* and they’re not even close to competing with Alabama

I think what amazed me last night more than anything is how hard it was to deal with Smith. That first half was incredible.

Now if you put a guy like Smith on NE it gets to be way more difficult because your 2nd and 3rd options aren't as much to worry about but still... down by the goal line Smith goes in motion and everyone around the world knows the ball is going to him. He's still walking in untouched.

Was the level of athlete on Alabama's offense that superior to Ohio St defense or was it the play calling and execution? Probably both.

And teams like Notre Dame have rosters loaded with 40+ 4* and they’re not even close to competing with Alabama
Shit Ohio St wasn't close. OSU offense played ok against Alabama defense but the flip they were totally outmatched.

I think what amazed me last night more than anything is how hard it was to deal with Smith. That first half was incredible.
I was more amazed at Ohio State's plan. Like, what the fuck are they doing. You can't get caught with your pants down playing 3 buzz where your Mike has to carry #3 vertical with little help, when #3 is the fucking heisman trophy winning freakazoid. I don't know if anyone heard Meyer talking pre-game, but what he said he would want to do was the exact opposite of what OSU did, maybe that was a plant, I don't know, but it seemed OSU was dead set on shutting Najee down and give up an explosive vs don't give up explosives and rally to the run, give up yards there. I don't like or understand that.

Sark flat carved them up with Single Hi-RPOs, Pylon Concept, 4 verts, Perimeter screens.

Ohio State went straight into the shitter when future Nebraska Head Coach Jeff Hafley left

I was more amazed at Ohio State's plan. Like, what the fuck are they doing. You can't get caught with your pants down playing 3 buzz where your Mike has to carry #3 vertical with little help, when #3 is the fucking heisman trophy winning freakazoid. I don't know if anyone heard Meyer talking pre-game, but what he said he would want to do was the exact opposite of what OSU did, maybe that was a plant, I don't know, but it seemed OSU was dead set on shutting Najee down and give up an explosive vs don't give up explosives and rally to the run, give up yards there. I don't like or understand that.

Sark flat carved them up with Single Hi-RPOs, Pylon Concept, 4 verts, Perimeter screens.
So back to my original question you think it was more scheme than athletes?

How do they not call a timeout there? Like...."Whoa!! Fuck!!! Borland lined up on Smith! Time out!! time out!!"

Seemed like they were heavy on LB's and light on DB's all night but that was the most obvious one to me.

How do they not call a timeout there? Like...."Whoa!! Fuck!!! Borland lined up on Smith! Time out!! time out!!"

Seemed like they were heavy on LB's and light on DB's all night but that was the most obvious one to me.
I’m going to say yes, it was more scheme than athletes. I looked not too long ago and I think I looked at the last four years and tOSU has recruited more 5 stars and if iirc, 4 stars than any team, including bama.

Mix of both.

And yeah, in a situation like that, when you know that's a bad matchup there, time out, or you've got to have a check there to help out on the most explosive player they have. It's trips, so everyone has their trips checks, check to Poach so the weak safety can help carry 3 vertical if that's the case.

Because people don't agree with you they should go back to Osborne's offense?
No just thought there would be more discussion based on national title observations. I could be completely wrong, just my opinion based on what I saw

I'm glad you brought that up. WTF? I was barely watching with the sound off, but glaced at the TV just before the snap. I looked at my dog and told him #6 was scoring in a few seconds. And I know hardly anything about football. What WERE they thinking when coming up with that game plan? I think you nailed it.

There are too many taters on RRS to read all of the replies. Can you provide a summary of the responses, and the consensus?

Was the consensus different than on TBP(on purpose).

Theme customization system

You can customize some areas of the forum theme from this menu.

• Wide/Narrow view

You can control a structure that you can use to use your theme wide or narrow.

Grid view forum list

You can control the layout of the forum list in a grid or ordinary listing style structure.

Picture grid mode

You can control the structure where you can open/close images in the grid forum list.

Close sidebar

You can get rid of the crowded view in the forum by closing the sidebar.

Fixed sidebar

You can make it more useful and easier to access by pinning the sidebar.

Close radius

You can use the radius at the corners of the blocks according to your taste by closing/opening it.

• Color combinations cannot be used

Color combinations are not available to you, this area may be restricted by administrators. Please contact the administrator for more information.

Backgrounds are not available!

Background checks are not available to you, this area may be restricted by administrators. Please contact the administrator for more information.

Back