Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

How much NIL$ to keep Benhart next year (1 Viewer)

Baron Winnebago

Scrote Statistician
Elite Member
tPB OG
The thing about needing to be a certain height and weight to play a certain position was from the top down. The guys at IWCC absolutely hated when the first thing Chin would ask them would have to do with measurables.
Its funny that a staff so obsessed with measureables basically trotted out a 2-4-5 this year with an edge who barely weighs 220 and one who can be much over 245

Cash68847

Offensive Coordinator
Elite Member
tPB OG
I doubt you see significant attrition on the OL basically for the reason you mentioned. The next guys up are even worse. Do Corc and Benhart suck, yeah they do , but are you better off with their back ups? Fuck no.
If we get a competent coach who can develop somewhat at the o line position we could see a decent turn around especially if we sprinkle in 2-3 lineman with the portal. We should have personnel people scouting lower level conferences like the MAC to find some lineman who are playing well and give them NIL money. Why waste it on some 2nd-3rd string guys from big time programs that aren’t that good. I have no problem getting Mathis type players who did well in other big time conferences even though he has been a flop. You’re probably going to hit on that type of player more than he flops.

Baron Winnebago

Scrote Statistician
Elite Member
tPB OG
If we get a competent coach who can develop somewhat at the o line position we could see a decent turn around especially if we sprinkle in 2-3 lineman with the portal. We should have personnel people scouting lower level conferences like the MAC to find some lineman who are playing well and give them NIL money. Why waste it on some 2nd-3rd string guys from big time programs that aren’t that good. I have no problem getting Mathis type players who did well in other big time conferences even though he has been a flop. You’re probably going to hit on that type of player more than he flops.
Agreed. Nebraska will best utilize NIL if they focus it on landing players who we know are already good at playing college football.

tman87

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
Wonder how much more NIL $ we would need to spend to get O Line guys who will actually get out of their 3 point stance? Benhart never did get out of his stance, literally let a guy run right by him, the ball was blocked and he was still in his stance.

How do they even allow that? It so fundamentally horrible, and has happened numerous times this season, what are the O Line coaches doing/saying about it in film session?

Things this bad wouldn't even get by little league coaches allowing it more than a few times. We have 4 star O Lineman so out of it they don't even get out of their stance before the play is over, let alone try to block anyone. I'd rather see a 5'-9" 270lb guy at least try to do something. Something, just do something.

nscottie

Running Back
Elite Member
There’s no coaching possible to polish the Benhart and Corcoran turds. Just dump them and recruit over them. Hell there’s fans in the stands that could play better

Cash68847

Offensive Coordinator
Elite Member
tPB OG
There’s no coaching possible to polish the Benhart and Corcoran turds. Just dump them and recruit over them. Hell there’s fans in the stands that could play better
I still doubt every linemen in the program is total trash. You might be right that those two will never be any good, but the last two line coaches have been novices in reality.

Herbie

Quarterback
Getting any decent oline out of the portal will be almost impossible for Nebraska to get.

They are going to contenders

Herbie

Quarterback
Money talks. Nebraska can go out and get linemen if they are serious.
Nebraska had a good amount of money for nil. Especially when compared to their record.

Those top 10-15 teams have just as money and can offer chance at the playoffs

Faux Sean Callahan

Head Coach
Insider
tPB OG
Next years Oline might be worse.
Say somehow Mickey gets the job you lose all these guys. I doubt Mickey keeps them around or they graduate.
Turner Corcoran
Bryce Benhart
Hunter Anthony
Michael Lynn
Brant Banks
Trent Hixson(graduate)
Broc Bando(graduate)
Kevin Williams(graduate)

So before you add jucos, HS, or transfers you have this …

LT - Teddy P
LG - Henry Lutovsky
C - Nouredin Nouili
RG - Ethan Piper
RT - Alex Conn

No depth. LT-C might be good if they are healthy and stay off roids. Just hope for no injuries or inability to play every down
I think Lynn and Conn will likely hit the portal.

I can't remember, but thought when you have a coaching change you are allowed to offer basically a retirement package to any player. Essentially saying hey we need your scholarship, you aren't going to play, go away and have your education paid still.

The only two spots I feel semi comfortable with going into next year is Teddy LT and Nouili at OG (probably left). I think you have pieces, but you need to take probably +3 guys from the portal or juco.

I also think if you hire a good OL coach you can get more out of some of the guys on the line.

Faux Sean Callahan

Head Coach
Insider
tPB OG
The thing about needing to be a certain height and weight to play a certain position was from the top down. The guys at IWCC absolutely hated when the first thing Chin would ask them would have to do with measurables.
To a point it matters, but still at the college level it isn't as big of deal IYAM.

I would take a good player with meh measurable vs a meh player with NFL measurables. I think some of those intangibles are lacking right now.

Ideally you want both, but until you are winning at a high level and recruiting top 10 classes you will have to make some sacrifices.

Juro

Sarcastic Ass
Elite Member
Bounty Hunter
I think Lynn and Conn will likely hit the portal.

I can't remember, but thought when you have a coaching change you are allowed to offer basically a retirement package to any player. Essentially saying hey we need your scholarship, you aren't going to play, go away and have your education paid still.

The only two spots I feel semi comfortable with going into next year is Teddy LT and Nouili at OG (probably left). I think you have pieces, but you need to take probably +3 guys from the portal or juco.

I also think if you hire a good OL coach you can get more out of some of the guys on the line.
I think the Offensive Line will take at least 3 years with a good OL coach. Probably need one of the best to get some good ground next year.

I honestly don't know why our offensive line is this bad. I don't blame it on Raiola, because between recruiting and the last few years of shitty development, no coach could have came in here and fix this sinking boat.

Faux Sean Callahan

Head Coach
Insider
tPB OG
I think the Offensive Line will take at least 3 years with a good OL coach. Probably need one of the best to get some good ground next year.
3 years to get where? Serviceable? Middle of the road in the B1G? Top 1/4th of the B1G?

I think if you get a couple of good players from the portal/juco they can become serviceable next year. Serviceable being not worst in the B1G, but still bottom half.

See what Illinois has done. I don't think they have the best OL, but they went from fucking awful to now they have the leading rusher in the nation.

I honestly don't know why our offensive line is this bad. I don't blame it on Raiola, because between recruiting and the last few years of shitty development, no coach could have came in here and fix this sinking boat.
It is a combination of stuff.
  1. Guys who are playing out of position.
    1. Turner needs to be an OG/C, but injuries forced their hand.
  2. I don't think they communicate that well. They are "ok" when they get their hands on their guy, but they really struggle with picking up blitzes and passing off stunts. Most of that is communication IYAM. Now part of that is losing 3 OL that you expected to have and trying different combinations. You have no synergy in communication because you don't have a group you can gel with.
  3. I don't think Whipple is doing them many favors.
    1. You get 4-7 QB runs a game and it would help them out a ton. There was at least 2 plays where I wished they would have had a read on or would have kept it bc the DE was spiking hard.
    2. I don't think you need to do QB run game, but you need to have a way to control the box though. If that is that swing pass off a box count RPO or a glance route to Trey when the safety is getting down in the box.
    3. We also ran it 12 fucking times with Grant who was averaging 5 yards a carry. Why not feed him more with back up QBs in the game? If there was ever a time to try and establish the running game it was then.
I don't blame Raiola that much because he is without 3 guys I think could help them. The one thing I would be critical of him is how bad we have been at pass pro in picking up blitzes. That to me is communication/technique which is controllable.

I think going forward you need to have an identity of what you want your OL to look like and what you want them to do. After that align your staff, S&C/Nutrition and your recruiting efforts around it. I think the biggest problem Frost had was that wasn't lined up. You don't do that and the negatives get magnified.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds