Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Breaking Great news for the B1G...bad news for Bears fans (1 Viewer)

Baron Winnebago

Scrote Statistician
Elite Member
tPB OG
Chicago guy, well connected. Doesn't have to move saves Big 10 on moving expenses. Also UCLA and USC libs would love him. Win/win.

Also I'm kidding.
I'm in as long as it doesn't interfere with his first lady duties starting in 2025

MtnHusker

Heisman Winner
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG
Yeah, this "TV execs made it happen" take is really bad and simply designed to minimize what was a historic deal. The success of what he did was not just the money, but spreading it out across 3 broadcast networks + BTN. No TV exec was advising him to take his product to the competition.

For some reason, he's been the only guy to look at what the NFL does with its deals and said, "Let's do that." That approach gets them to pay the most money and give you the most promotion. No TV execs are saying to him, "What would be great is if you could get all of us to pay you top dollar, something like the NFL, which is the most expensive thing we buy... you should be just like that."
Warren was a bit of a puppet. Delany and others were the brains behind much of that. The owner of a company I worked for in Chicago is good friends with Delany. He doesn't have much good to say about Warren or his leadership. Said Delany & others calling some of the shots.

MtnHusker

Heisman Winner
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG
B1G not giving him an extension is QED of Warren not being the man who made this deal happen.

Chancellors & Presidents lost faith in Warren, and had Jim Delany as the godfather negotiating the TV deal. Along with the TV execs (who de facto controlled expansion - not the multi-network aspect of the rights, which is a strawman), the power players were everyone except Warren, who was allowed to get credit for this to facilitate his landing spot.
Matches what I was told by someone who is a long time friend of Delany's. Doesn't sound like anyone was overly impressed with Warren behind the scenes.

giphy.gif

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds