Welcome to the forum 👋, Visitor

To access the forum content and all our services, you must register or log in to the forum. Becoming a member of the forum is completely free.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Frost's Offense

Kaladin

Professor of Aesthetics / Positive Boogeyman
Elite Member
Zatechka made a podcast and outlined what he thinks are some problems with Frost's offense:

A guy on 247 summarized it:

- Zatechka thinks that Frost's offensive system itself is a problem.

- Says the blocking schemes are hard to discern the first go around but once they get figured out they are easy enough to beat (I thought this was interesting considering the success running the ball in year 1 and the lack of success in the subsequent years)

- He wonders if Frost's offenses would start to regress even in the AAC because of that observation

- Says he hates the swing pass and wishes it would be eliminated from the offense entirely (I'm not sure I agree... there are positives when it comes to it, but you can't ONLY stretch the field horizontally either)

- Says that the running game isn't blocked for power but blocked for creases in the defense, the problem is that this means all 11 players have to do the exact right thing on every play for it to work and he hasn't seen that happen in Frost's time at Nebraska. He also indicated that there have been a substantial amount of missed blocking assignments by the OL this year.

- Says that you can't just give a guy a few carries. Believes that Mills is an above average back (not All-B1G, but good enough) and should be getting 20-25 carries a game and we barely try to give him 10. Says that Breece Hall looks great at Cockeye State because they allow him to be great, they make sure he gets his touches and he does the rest. (he does no think Mills is as good as Breece Hall, but the principle stands).

- Does not understand the lack of a vertical threat in the passing game. Says there is no excuse for not having guys able to stretch the field even a little bit. Wan'Dale can't be the only play maker and you have to develop guys around him. He says even if you just throw Betts out there and tell him to run the same route every time (I assume he means deep route, a post or skinny post or a fly) and throw it up to him that that would be an improvement. Doesn't understand way we move east-west so much in the offense.

- Finally, he thinks that Lubick is a horrible play caller that had lightning in a bottle at Oregon and also had the privilege of going against horrific defensive coaching while he was in the PAC-12. Says that B1G and SEC defenses beat Pac-12 and AAC offenses in the playoff (I found this a bit ironic considering Frost's UCF crew did beat a borderline playoff Auburn team in 2017).

- Defensively he doesn't like a 3-4 allignment, thinks you need 4 down linemen. (I think this is a bit biased to understanding defense though, Wisconsin does just fine with a 34 front, as does Alabama, Auburn and a host of others. Nebraska has been a 4-3 team since the late 80s early 90s so I think this is a bit of nostalgia. I know I am more comfortable with the 4-3 look on the field.)

I think that's about it. He doesn't think motivation is actually an issue, but he seems to think we don't recruit well, especially on offense and that we don't teach the fundamentals well. It's really interesting to listen to because you can tell how frustrated he is.

I'm curious to see if Frost will actually attempt to change his offense in any way or if he will ride his system until the end. And if he is actually going to change it, what would he do? Fire Austin and bring in a different o-line coach and change the blocking scheme? Maybe add some other formations instead of running it entirely out of the shotgun? I noticed on Saturday that we ran ONE play from under center.

I’d have to listen to this to understand was RZ is saying. I’m not sure where he’s coming from saying the blocking schemes are easy to figure out.

The issue with our running game appears to be that our 4 year starter doesn’t appear to actually be able to block anyone, Piper is a freshman, and Jurgens hasn’t looked the same since getting hurt. We aren’t running anything much different than a lot of other teams in the country.

I'm curious to see if Frost will actually attempt to change his offense in any way or if he will ride his system until the end. And if he is actually going to change it, what would he do? Fire Austin and bring in a different o-line coach and change the blocking scheme? Maybe add some other formations instead of running it entirely out of the shotgun? I noticed on Saturday that we ran ONE play from under center.

I'm glad you included the summary from 247, because I can't stand listening to zatechka.

If the summary is accurate, is argue with a lot of it if I had the energy at this point.

I agree with @...TrueColors... Our inside and outside zone blocking isn't any different than what most teams do.

Reads a lot like preferences to be honest. He's right about throwing it down the field, but complaining about Mills who missed half the season not getting touches is weird. As a non-expert. It seems to me that Frost has to get back to the oregon offense of using shit to set up other shit. I have this really vivid memory of Oregon running two quick WR screens against FSU in the semifinal only to then throw a fly to the guy who was blocking the first two. I don't see enough of that kind of stuff. I guess, and please do adjust for my naivete, that the horizontal passing game is this necessary evil to get teams out of the box and to set up shit downfield, but we've turned it into the main course

Frost throw's so many swing passes because he has no faith in Adrian to see open receivers downfield and he doesn't have faith in our walk on wide receivers to get separation. He has been an extremely risk adverse play caller so far. He calls plays to not cause turnovers vs calling plays to score. This is why I think bringing in a 5th year transfer QB is a must. Frost needs a guy that he can trust throwing the ball, he obviously does not trust Adrian or Luke.

To add to the running game conversation:

Frost’s scheme does in fact lend itself towards creasing teams. When it works, it’s a thing of beauty.

The problem IMO is we have had to play RB’s who don’t excel at that style of running. Mills would be a great RB in a pro-style I-formation offense. Same with Marvin Scott. But neither is quite quick enough yet to find that crease before it closes. They are meant to be situational, change of pace backs in this offense.

Thats precisely why you see Wan’Dale looking head and shoulders like our best RB at times even though he’s not even a RB. That’s why you saw Mo Washington break off some electrifying runs (when he actually saw the crease).

Frost clearly recruits two types of RBs:

Type 1: Crease runners. Small, shifty, able to get through the hole before the defense sees what is happening. Also a receiving threat out of the backfield. Washington, Rahmir, Thompkins, and Morrison were all recruited to fill this role.

Type 2: Power backs. Guys who can get you 2-4 yards consistently. A change of pace back to be used situationally. 3rd and short and grinding out games. Frost needs this guy especially because we are in the B1G. Mills and Scott were recruited to fill this role.

You could argue that we have done an exceptional job at getting talented versions of both those types of backs to Lincoln. The problem, however, is that all of our “Type 1” running backs are flaming out and our “Type 2” running backs are the best we have. Morrison is young and injured. Thompkins was coming off of 2 major knee injuries and disappeared late this season. Mo was an erratic head-case. Rahmir is not developing like we hoped. 0/4 so far. Now the guys that are supposed to be used situationally and to feed off of your feature backs become the feature backs themselves, but the skill set doesn’t match the blocking scheme.

That’s why we are forced to play Wan’Dale at RB, and that’s why he is more effective when he’s back there. That’s why we struggle to find an offensive rhythm when Mills is back there. He was never meant to be out there every play.

Call it recruiting misses. Call it poor player development. Call it stubbornness. Call it bad luck. Who the hell even knows.

But I know the scheme is not the issue. The square peg in the round hole is the issue.

That’s why when I hear Frost say over and over again we are so close, I believe him.

Competent QB play wins us the Northwestern, Illinois, and Minnesota games by itself this year.

A healthy Mo Washington-type running back, a WR who can stretch the field, and an OLB who can generate a pass rush? We’re talking about a rematch against OSU this weekend instead of a meaningless game against Rutgers.

You can debate who’s fault it is all day long. There’s been some play calling issues. But damnit, it’s true, we are close, and the RB situation is a prime example.

Frost’s scheme does in fact lend itself towards creasing teams. When it works, it’s a thing of beauty.

The problem IMO is we have had to play RB’s who don’t excel at that style of running. Mills would be a great RB in a pro-style I-formation offense. Same with Marvin Scott. But neither is quite quick enough yet to find that crease before it closes. They are meant to be situational, change of pace backs in this offense.

Thats precisely why you see Wan’Dale looking head and shoulders like our best RB at times even though he’s not even a RB. That’s why you saw Mo Washington break off some electrifying runs (when he actually saw the crease).

Type 1: Crease runners. Small, shifty, able to get through the hole before the defense sees what is happening. Also a receiving threat out of the backfield. Washington, Rahmir, Thompkins, and Morrison were all recruited to fill this role.

Type 2: Power backs. Guys who can get you 2-4 yards consistently. A change of pace back to be used situationally. 3rd and short and grinding out games. Frost needs this guy especially because we are in the B1G. Mills and Scott were recruited to fill this role.

You could argue that we have done an exceptional job at getting talented versions of both those types of backs to Lincoln. The problem, however, is that all of our “Type 1” running backs are flaming out and our “Type 2” running backs are the best we have. Morrison is young and injured. Thompkins was coming off of 2 major knee injuries and disappeared late this season. Mo was an erratic head-case. Rahmir is not developing like we hoped. 0/4 so far. Now the guys that are supposed to be used situationally and to feed off of your feature backs become the feature backs themselves, but the skill set doesn’t match the blocking scheme.

That’s why we are forced to play Wan’Dale at RB, and that’s why he is more effective when he’s back there. That’s why we struggle to find an offensive rhythm when Mills is back there. He was never meant to be out there every play.

Call it recruiting misses. Call it poor player development. Call it stubbornness. Call it bad luck. Who the hell even knows.

But I know the scheme is not the issue. The square peg in the round hole is the issue.

That’s why when I hear Frost say over and over again we are so close, I believe him.

Competent QB play wins us the Northwestern, Illinois, and Minnesota games by itself this year.

A healthy Mo Washington-type running back, a WR who can stretch the field, and an OLB who can generate a pass rush? We’re talking about a rematch against OSU this weekend instead of a meaningless game against Rutgers.

You can debate who’s fault it is all day long. There’s been some play calling issues. But damnit, it’s true, we are close, and the RB situation is a prime example.
this is the best thing i've read all year about nebraska football and it is such a relief

Reads a lot like preferences to be honest. He's right about throwing it down the field, but complaining about Mills who missed half the season not getting touches is weird. As a non-expert. It seems to me that Frost has to get back to the oregon offense of using shit to set up other shit. I have this really vivid memory of Oregon running two quick WR screens against FSU in the semifinal only to then throw a fly to the guy who was blocking the first two. I don't see enough of that kind of stuff. I guess, and please do adjust for my naivete, that the horizontal passing game is this necessary evil to get teams out of the box and to set up shit downfield, but we've turned it into the main course
This and the opee is a perfect example of just because you played college football doesn't mean you know what you're talking about.

The lack of vertical game is maybe partially that it isn't called enough but mostly it's that Martinez chose to check down or take off running for most of the season. Saturday actually went deep several times. He just missed the throws.

Ultimately that still comes down to coaching if you don't have a QB that can do what needs to be done. Martinez puts a few games together and then plays like he did Saturday. Even if he misses on the deep balls and makes the easy throws we still win by double digits.

I feel like the amount of variance in the scheme upfront causes some issues overall in OL play. They have a ton of shit to remember and execute, and they're just not.

They run regular Inside Zone, but also run IZ Lock in the RPO game. BST locks the C gap read key and the read becomes an apex player for a perimeter screen or short throw.
They run some Mid Zone. It's not a full reach Wide Zone, or even a stretch outside zone. It looks like they track block it for the most part, not a lot of double teams, more of what @kenyanfeline referenced in terms of creasing a team. Try to get guys to overrun and cut up. The problem IMO, is they don't separate the backside of the zone from the front side of the zone. The only time they really do that is when they run midline, where they get that separation of each side.

They run short trap, which is more of a staple of under center teams, but certainly works from the gun, but it's something it is pretty drastically different than any scheme they run.

They run Q Draw, which isn't all that difficult because it builds from Half-Slide pass pro. But still, another scheme.

I saw some Pin & Pull last week. Kind of a variant of outside zone, rules aren't all that difficult, but again, another scheme.

They run some power, block down, backside guard pull and insert. But they also run it with a variant the tackle has to remember when they run inverted veer/power read stuff where the tackle instead of staying on track for the BSLB, goes tries to reach the frontside LB and now the backside guard's job changes.

I haven't really seen it yet this year very much, but they run some G/Belly Down where they pull the frontside guard and kick out, with a double down to the Mike from T & TE, which is more of a flexbone/Wing T style play, but whatever, it's a good ass scheme. But it's another scheme.

They haven't ran Dart much since the first couple of weeks, but it's basically iso blocking with a Tackle pulling. They mainly have paired this with a bunch of RPO stuff. But again, another scheme to know.

Just in the run game. They've got IZ, MZ, Trap, Draw, P&P, Power, Dart, & Down/G - That's 8 unique blocking schemes, plus the variations of the main two. You couple that with the slow screen game and the play-action pass schemes, sprint out scheme, drop back protections. Quite frankly, that's a lot of fucking shit to teach and rep fundamentals on. It's an incredible amount really.

If you compared that to what Oregon ran under Kelly, they basically ran 3 big runs. IZ, OZ, and Power. They had a few other things they sprinkled in, but in terms of run game...that was the big 3.

And shit, in the pass game, they have at least 9 variations of 4 verts they have at their disposal. They obviously wouldn't carry all of them into a game. But that's one pass scheme.

I feel like the amount of variance in the scheme upfront causes some issues overall in OL play. They have a ton of shit to remember and execute, and they're just not.

They run regular Inside Zone, but also run IZ Lock in the RPO game. BST locks the C gap read key and the read becomes an apex player for a perimeter screen or short throw.
They run some Mid Zone. It's not a full reach Wide Zone, or even a stretch outside zone. It looks like they track block it for the most part, not a lot of double teams, more of what @kenyanfeline referenced in terms of creasing a team. Try to get guys to overrun and cut up. The problem IMO, is they don't separate the backside of the zone from the front side of the zone. The only time they really do that is when they run midline, where they get that separation of each side.

They run short trap, which is more of a staple of under center teams, but certainly works from the gun, but it's something it is pretty drastically different than any scheme they run.

They run Q Draw, which isn't all that difficult because it builds from Half-Slide pass pro. But still, another scheme.

I saw some Pin & Pull last week. Kind of a variant of outside zone, rules aren't all that difficult, but again, another scheme.

They run some power, block down, backside guard pull and insert. But they also run it with a variant the tackle has to remember when they run inverted veer/power read stuff where the tackle instead of staying on track for the BSLB, goes tries to reach the frontside LB and now the backside guard's job changes.

I haven't really seen it yet this year very much, but they run some G/Belly Down where they pull the frontside guard and kick out, with a double down to the Mike from T & TE, which is more of a flexbone/Wing T style play, but whatever, it's a good ass scheme. But it's another scheme.

They haven't ran Dart much since the first couple of weeks, but it's basically iso blocking with a Tackle pulling. They mainly have paired this with a bunch of RPO stuff. But again, another scheme to know.

Just in the run game. They've got IZ, MZ, Trap, Draw, P&P, Power, Dart, & Down/G - That's 8 unique blocking schemes, plus the variations of the main two. You couple that with the slow screen game and the play-action pass schemes, sprint out scheme, drop back protections. Quite frankly, that's a lot of fucking shit to teach and rep fundamentals on. It's an incredible amount really.

If you compared that to what Oregon ran under Kelly, they basically ran 3 big runs. IZ, OZ, and Power. They had a few other things they sprinkled in, but in terms of run game...that was the big 3.

And shit, in the pass game, they have at least 9 variations of 4 verts they have at their disposal. They obviously wouldn't carry all of them into a game. But that's one pass scheme.
Do you have any sense of how the number/variety of schemes compares to other teams across the country? Are they asking guys to do a lot more? Is it necessary given that type of offense?

First off, I love it. I love learning the technicalities of football, even if I don't understand some of the terminology. I'm assuming the standard fan somewhat like myself understands 0 of this? Basically, young lineman and young receivers have no business being on the field for significant snaps because there's jus too much remember if you haven't been repping it in practice for years? Reminds me of the T.O. strategy? Tell me I'm wrong if I am.

I remember reading somewhere about how many blocking schemes UCF and how it completely fucked up the other team’s keys throughout the game to the point they just didn’t trust their eyes anymore which led to huge plays on the ground.

Any insight as to how they were able to get it done but we can’t? To me, it starts on the interior. Farniok has been really bad...

I’m not in meetings, I don’t see practices. But I’m wondering why we don’t give someone else a chance there.

I wish I had your optimism. We are in year 3 and this program has regressed in the 3 years under Frost. Im hoping Frost can figure it out, but theres nothing hes doing now that gives me any hope.

I remember reading somewhere about how many blocking schemes UCF and how it completely fucked up the other team’s keys throughout the game to the point they just didn’t trust their eyes anymore which led to huge plays on the ground.

Any insight as to how they were able to get it done but we can’t? To me, it starts on the interior. Farniok has been really bad...

I’m not in meetings, I don’t see practices. But I’m wondering why we don’t give someone else a chance there.
I've been of the opinion that Farniok has been bad his entire career in Lincoln as well.

I've been of the opinion that Farniok has been bad his entire career in Lincoln as well.

It’s not an easy task for OL to get out in space and block LBs and DBs. I know they’re bigger than they are. But the LBs and DBs present smaller targets and are shiftier. That being said, we can’t keep watching pulling guards and even our center whiff so badly on key blocks in our run game. There have been countless plays that we are one block away from getting large chunk pays on only for it to go for 4 or 5 yards because we look like dancing fucking bears. I don’t know how this should be fixed or even how to start. But I know it’s happening and I can see it. I’m not stupid enough to believe that I of all people am smarter than an entire staff of football coaches who have been doing this for a collective century.

We saw Farniok finally make the one block we needed to make on Saturday on a play where Wandale went for like 50. That should be happening more this year.

The plays have been on the field to make. We are just constantly one or two plays away from winning a game and it’s so fucking frustrating to watch.

Do you have any sense of how the number/variety of schemes compares to other teams across the country? Are they asking guys to do a lot more? Is it necessary given that type of offense?
Depends on the team really, some can operate on 2-3 run schemes. Some are more diverse. Personally, I'd say most will want to stay under 10-12 total. That's Run, Pap, Dropback, Screen.
I think Minnesota ran about 3 plays the whole time vs us on Saturday. Inside Zone RPO, Outside Split Zone, and Counter.

First off, I love it. I love learning the technicalities of football, even if I don't understand some of the terminology. I'm assuming the standard fan somewhat like myself understands 0 of this? Basically, young lineman and young receivers have no business being on the field for significant snaps because there's jus too much remember if you haven't been repping it in practice for years? Reminds me of the T.O. strategy? Tell me I'm wrong if I am.
I wouldn't say young guys can't get on the field. It's all how it's taught and packaged. The Zone run world is pretty diverse, there's WZ, OZ, MZ, IZ, TZ - but the difference in them is mostly how you block, not the who., but almost all of these OL have run zone I'm guessing in high school.

I can look at some All-22 I've got access to, but I don't think UCF was all that diverse in their run game, maybe they were. But they do some false key stuff that makes it a bitch. Like Pairing Sprint out with Bash. Or using Outside Zone and run midline, or running counter bash. Those all can conflict the reads of the defense. All of those we've ran here, just not real often IMO.

Depends on the team really, some can operate on 2-3 run schemes. Some are more diverse. Personally, I'd say most will want to stay under 10-12 total. That's Run, Pap, Dropback, Screen.
I think Minnesota ran about 3 plays the whole time vs us on Saturday. Inside Zone RPO, Outside Split Zone, and Counter.

I wouldn't say young guys can't get on the field. It's all how it's taught and packaged. The Zone run world is pretty diverse, there's WZ, OZ, MZ, IZ, TZ - but the difference in them is mostly how you block, not the who., but almost all of these OL have run zone I'm guessing in high school.

I can look at some All-22 I've got access to, but I don't think UCF was all that diverse in their run game, maybe they were. But they do some false key stuff that makes it a bitch. Like Pairing Sprint out with Bash. Or using Outside Zone and run midline, or running counter bash. Those all can conflict the reads of the defense. All of those we've ran here, just not real often IMO.

Pin and pull was a huge staple of what Frost did at Oregon wasn’t it? I think I’ve seen that like 3 times this year. I believe we ran it on Adrian’s first TD.

Pin and pull was a huge staple of what Frost did at Oregon wasn’t it? I think I’ve seen that like 3 times this year. I believe we ran it on Adrian’s first TD.
I don't remember. It might have become more of an emphasis later on, but they were primarily IZ/OZ & Power up front. They have started to dabble in P&P with Frost, but I don't think they did.

It’s not an easy task for OL to get out in space and block LBs and DBs. I know they’re bigger than they are. But the LBs and DBs present smaller targets and are shiftier. That being said, we can’t keep watching pulling guards and even our center whiff so badly on key blocks in our run game. There have been countless plays that we are one block away from getting large chunk pays on only for it to go for 4 or 5 yards because we look like dancing fucking bears. I don’t know how this should be fixed or even how to start. But I know it’s happening and I can see it. I’m not stupid enough to believe that I of all people am smarter than an entire staff of football coaches who have been doing this for a collective century.

We saw Farniok finally make the one block we needed to make on Saturday on a play where Wandale went for like 50. That should be happening more this year.

The plays have been on the field to make. We are just constantly one or two plays away from winning a game and it’s so fucking frustrating to watch.
Yep. I've seen several times on replay Jaimes doing the same, just flat out whiffing on a DB block. Pretty spot on, I've watched pretty much all the replays of each game under Frost in 40 minute versions and it's literally 1 or 2 big mistakes a game that cost us. And it's all execution. I think coaches get blamed for things too much. I'm a self-starter and self-motivator myself, so I believe that these high level football players need to be held more accountable by the outside world for not executing things. Blocking is effort in my opinion. They obviously know who to block most times, just go execute.

Theme customization system

You can customize some areas of the forum theme from this menu.

• Wide/Narrow view

You can control a structure that you can use to use your theme wide or narrow.

Grid view forum list

You can control the layout of the forum list in a grid or ordinary listing style structure.

Picture grid mode

You can control the structure where you can open/close images in the grid forum list.

Close sidebar

You can get rid of the crowded view in the forum by closing the sidebar.

Fixed sidebar

You can make it more useful and easier to access by pinning the sidebar.

Close radius

You can use the radius at the corners of the blocks according to your taste by closing/opening it.

• Color combinations cannot be used

Color combinations are not available to you, this area may be restricted by administrators. Please contact the administrator for more information.

Backgrounds are not available!

Background checks are not available to you, this area may be restricted by administrators. Please contact the administrator for more information.

Back