Welcome to the forum 👋, Visitor

To access the forum content and all our services, you must register or log in to the forum. Becoming a member of the forum is completely free.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

For those in the know on Smothers

Okay but in all honesty.....unless you're hand picked by your HC as his first QB (Adrian and Frost) why in any normal non emotional circumstances would a True Freshman start at QB, over a R/S Freshman and True Junior, in Power 5 Football.....? come on guys. This board is better than irrational thinking.

I don't know. But if reports are to be believed that he hasn't been taking reps with the 1s this seems like the desperate grasping at straws we've done every year when our team sucks

Just look at WR though. Better talent does not equal game reps.

@kenyanfeline I don't remember any comments from waterboy about Smothers. Have you talked about him at all?

@alt f4 you see him at all in scrimmages?

I'll preface this with how practices operate so not to confuse or miss lead. In season there are typically are not any scrimmages. Note, I don't know what happens on Day 1 of game week, only day 2 and 3. In normal season with a bye-week they might do some scrimmaging with good on good for a session or two. During season the focus is more on team vs scout for game prep. No 2s, 3s, or 4s take snaps with the 1st unit (outside a player or two and WR rotations). 1st get majority of snaps and 2s get remaining. There might be some 3s who see some snaps, primarily TEs and maybe a WR. This format is pretty standard in college. Ranging from D2 up through D1.

During team segments Masker and Smothers are signalers, just like in game. Neither see any team action. Most 3s are in this purgatory. Don't see much, if any, team snaps and don't work on scout. They're work is all done in position drills, 1 ons, 2 ons, or 3 ons where they will run all depth in these drills.

So in short, Smothers is no where near ready to see the field.

Spring is where he will get his opportunities in scrimmages and team segments.

I'll preface this with how practices operate so not to confuse or miss lead. In season there are typically are not any scrimmages. Note, I don't know what happens on Day 1 of game week, only day 2 and 3. In normal season with a bye-week they might do some scrimmaging with good on good for a session or two. During season the focus is more on team vs scout for game prep. No 2s, 3s, or 4s take snaps with the 1st unit (outside a player or two and WR rotations). 1st get majority of snaps and 2s get remaining. There might be some 3s who see some snaps, primarily TEs and maybe a WR. This format is pretty standard in college. Ranging from D2 up through D1.

During team segments Masker and Smothers are signalers, just like in game. Neither see any team action. Most 3s are in this purgatory. Don't see much, if any, team snaps and don't work on scout. They're work is all done in position drills, 1 ons, 2 ons, or 3 ons where they will run all depth in these drills.

Who plays qb against the 1st team defense?

It's hard to keep track of guys who go from "THIS guy is the real deal who will finally make this offense sing!" to "his offers sucked and has no chance of making a difference" all in their first year on campus.

It's hard to keep track of guys who go from "THIS guy is the real deal who will finally make this offense sing!" to "his offers sucked and has no chance of making a difference" all in their first year on campus.
Life comes at you fast.

Dad harry potter seems like a very likeable guy but he can't coach qb's for shit. It seems like every team in the country can find and develop a qb besides Nebraska.

To add to this, and if we are just talking about skill players, they will occasionally do “skeleton passing” or “7 on 7” type drills that feature 1’s vs. 1’s, 2’s vs 2’s, etc., but not every week from what I understand, and I believe the couple times Waterboy talked about them earlier in the year they were early in the week, but I can’t recall which day.

Day 2 but especially day 3 and 4 start moving towards scouting and situationals such as 2 minute drill, 4 minute drill, first drive, etc.

Theme customization system

You can customize some areas of the forum theme from this menu.

• Wide/Narrow view

You can control a structure that you can use to use your theme wide or narrow.

Grid view forum list

You can control the layout of the forum list in a grid or ordinary listing style structure.

Picture grid mode

You can control the structure where you can open/close images in the grid forum list.

Close sidebar

You can get rid of the crowded view in the forum by closing the sidebar.

Fixed sidebar

You can make it more useful and easier to access by pinning the sidebar.

Close radius

You can use the radius at the corners of the blocks according to your taste by closing/opening it.

• Color combinations cannot be used

Color combinations are not available to you, this area may be restricted by administrators. Please contact the administrator for more information.

Backgrounds are not available!

Background checks are not available to you, this area may be restricted by administrators. Please contact the administrator for more information.

Back