Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Ex-PSU doc awarded $5.25M in suit alleging James Franklin interference - ESPN (2 Viewers)

BingoDingo

Absolute Idiot
"He and Seidenberg also discussed a football player who attempted suicide in October 2017 and was admitted to inpatient psychiatric care. Bream and Seidenberg described a meeting with Lynch, Franklin, Barbour and others in which Franklin wanted the doctors to medically disqualify the athlete, who was still undergoing treatment, so that Franklin could use his scholarship for another player."

Next man up!

LoudHogRider

Yells at Clouds
Elite Member
tPB OG
"He and Seidenberg also discussed a football player who attempted suicide in October 2017 and was admitted to inpatient psychiatric care. Bream and Seidenberg described a meeting with Lynch, Franklin, Barbour and others in which Franklin wanted the doctors to medically disqualify the athlete, who was still undergoing treatment, so that Franklin could use his scholarship for another player."

Next man up!
JFC, that's harsh.

doublewing

Running Back
Franklin has a history of this as he meddled in a rape case at Vanderbilt.

He may get a suspension but doubtful they fire him. It will just turn up the heat if he has a few extra losses this year.

Poor_and_Stupid

Prolific Beaver Murderer
Elite Member
The counterpoint to that may be that MRs AD when he was hired at Tulane is now Penn States AD.

I hope you and DB are right though.
They are probably looking for a good excuse to move on from Franklin. They are setting themselves up to poach corch Rhule.

RedSavage

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
Maybe Rhule would go to Pedo State, which i'm not entirely sold on to begin with. Oh but it's his alma mater yank yank. Don't think that carries as much weight as people want to act like. I think he likes it here a lot and is here to at least accomplish something before he dips, IF he does.

HerbRedman

Quarterback
Elite Member
tPB OG
My $.02: I believe this will be Rhule's last major college stop. He's put too much blood, sweat & tears into this rebuild to want to walk away and start it all over again somewhere else. Plus move your kids around again. Move your spouse again, etc.

I honestly think he'll never coach at PSU. As @Cornicator said the most likely "next destination", if there even is one, would probably be Texas, if Sark got fired or left for NFL.

But I personally think Rhule has exhausted himself and his family with this Nebraska move and I think he'd love to be here for a solid 10 yrs. And maybe do TV after that. I can't imagine anyone would have multiple 'comprehensive program rebuilds' in them.

JankTheTank

Linebacker
Elite Member
Even if the PSU job becomes open, I can't see Rhule leaving after just two years with the way he seems wired. It would feel like he's leaving with unfinished business here at this point. Honestly, it would change his identity to use this program as a stepping stone and bailing before reaching anything consequential here. Temple and Baylor went from roadkill to playing in their conference championship. He put in a marathon's worth of effort to get Raiola here, and some of that meant taking advantage of Nebraska ties. He would be willing to abandon that, or risk having to rerecruit Raiola to PSU after just a year? Honestly, some of the hardest hard work is just now getting done with the groundwork now laid for a lot of the operations and inroads made. That would be a heck of a thing to just abandon and have to start over AGAIN when some of those major pieces just recently fell into place. Rhule's talking about this being a long term deal here. I would like to believe that. He's experienced about every level of football at this point, so I feel like he now knows the highs and lows of navigating a career trajectory.

I also think the timing of the new facilities will play a large role in keeping Rhule. It worked out to where most of the work was done to have it fully operational within a little over a year of him getting here, but he came in early enough to be able to suggest some tweaks to his liking. That just doesn't happen generally. After all of the talk of him trying to get a similar facility built in Carolina, I would think he would appreicate how the timing worked out for him to luck into what Nebraska was building at just the right time. Especially something that speak to his development acuman. Does Penn State have a similar set up? Would Rhule be ok leaving what he considers the ideal facility and work somewhere else without it? It might take PSU three or so years to recreate what he had here. And that's assuming they could get the backing for it after just okaying $700 million for stadium renovations.

PSU obviously has advantages over Nebraska in this case as discussed above, but Rhule would still be trading quite a bit of stuff to go there. Especially after just Year 2 at Nebraska.

Last edited:

HerbRedman

Quarterback
Elite Member
tPB OG
Even if the PSU job becomes open, I can't see Rhule leaving after just two years with the way he seems wired. It would feel like he's leaving with unfinished business here at this point. Honestly, it would change his identity to use this program as a stepping stone and bailing before reaching anything consequential here. Temple and Baylor went from roadkill to playing in their conference championship. He put in a marathon's worth of effort to get Raiola here, and some of that meant taking advantage of Nebraska ties. He would be willing to abandon that, or risk having to rerecruit Raiola to PSU after just a year? Honestly, some of the hardest hard work is just now getting done with the groundwork now laid for a lot of the operations and inroads made. That would be a heck of a thing to just abandon and have to start over AGAIN when some of those major pieces just recently fell into place. Rhule's talking about this being a long term deal here. I would like to believe that. He's experienced about every level of football at this point, so I feel like he now knows the highs and lows of navigating a career trajectory.

I also think the timing of the new facilities will play a large role in keeping Rhule. It worked out to where most of the work was done to have it fully operational within a little over a year of him getting here, but he came in early enough to be able to suggest some tweaks to his liking. That just doesn't happen generally. After all of the talk of him trying to get a similar facility built in Carolina, I would think he would appreicate how the timing worked out for him to luck into what Nebraska was building at just the right time. Especially something that speak to his development acuman. Does Penn State have a similar set up? Would Rhule be ok leaving what he considers the ideal facility and work somewhere else without it? It might take PSU three or so years to recreate what he had here. And that's assuming they could get the backing for it after just okaying $800 million for stadium renovations.

PSU obviously has advantages over Nebraska in this case as discussed above, but Rhule would still be trading quite a bit of stuff to go there. Especially after just Year 2 at Nebraska.
Unrelated but honest Q: I wonder how much Rhule honestly cares about Stadium expansion. It seems like coaches care more about the player facilities than the stadium upgrades. I certainly would if I was a HC.

I wonder if any HC truly cares about their stadium getting nicer seats, more concourse, etc. But maybe that's cynical.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds