Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

ESPN signs 6-year extension for CFP rights (1 Viewer)

LoudHogRider

Yells at Clouds
Elite Member
tPB OG
What are the prevailing thoughts on this? ACC being dissolved into the other conferences?
I've got no insight other than what I've read online (and I've read a lot online about this), but it seems clear that one way or another, Florida State is gonzo. FSU is the #1 TV audience draw in the ACC; Clemson does well against other marquee opponents but doesn't really move the needle on their own (e.g. Clemson vs. Boston College, Wake FOrest, etc.), so their departure REALLY hurts the ACC conference viewership #'s. And as prestigious as some of their schools are academically, their athletic media numbers are pedestrian at best. In other words, their current contract payouts seem proportional when taken collectively as a conference.

All this comes at a time when it appears (allegedly) that their former commissioner John Swofford signed one GOR extension unilaterally w/o having that GOR extension ratified by the conference members. It's somewhat murky whether he had the authority to do so, depending on who you listen to. Part B of this madness is there appears to be (allegedly) an ESPN ONLY option to extend the current GOR agreement ending in 2026 out to 2034, but ESPN has not yet signed that extension. That's kind of good news if you're a FSU fan as it appears damages may be (allegedly) paid out through the current contract period ... which they're also contesting.

I suspect the conference will go the way of the PAC12 as the B1G and SEC are waiting in the wings to snap up the large brands and the smaller ones are simply going to hit the ground. It sucks for those smaller schools, but their media numbers just simply don't move the needle for the networks or their advertisers. They may survive as a BIG12 level conference, with the remaining schools and orphans from the PAC12 (Stanford, Cal + SMU), but if/when FSU leaves ... the rest of those cats are going to be scrambling to get the best deal that they can for their own institutions, brotherhood be damned.

My $0.02 worth on it.

huskerj12

Wide Receiver
tPB OG
I've got no insight other than what I've read online (and I've read a lot online about this), but it seems clear that one way or another, Florida State is gonzo. FSU is the #1 TV audience draw in the ACC; Clemson does well against other marquee opponents but doesn't really move the needle on their own (e.g. Clemson vs. Boston College, Wake FOrest, etc.), so their departure REALLY hurts the ACC conference viewership #'s. And as prestigious as some of their schools are academically, their athletic media numbers are pedestrian at best. In other words, their current contract payouts seem proportional when taken collectively as a conference.

All this comes at a time when it appears (allegedly) that their former commissioner John Swofford signed one GOR extension unilaterally w/o having that GOR extension ratified by the conference members. It's somewhat murky whether he had the authority to do so, depending on who you listen to. Part B of this madness is there appears to be (allegedly) an ESPN ONLY option to extend the current GOR agreement ending in 2026 out to 2034, but ESPN has not yet signed that extension. That's kind of good news if you're a FSU fan as it appears damages may be (allegedly) paid out through the current contract period ... which they're also contesting.

I suspect the conference will go the way of the PAC12 as the B1G and SEC are waiting in the wings to snap up the large brands and the smaller ones are simply going to hit the ground. It sucks for those smaller schools, but their media numbers just simply don't move the needle for the networks or their advertisers. They may survive as a BIG12 level conference, with the remaining schools and orphans from the PAC12 (Stanford, Cal + SMU), but if/when FSU leaves ... the rest of those cats are going to be scrambling to get the best deal that they can for their own institutions, brotherhood be damned.

My $0.02 worth on it.
Good stuff thanks for laying it out!

Baron Winnebago

Scrote Statistician
Elite Member
tPB OG

My $0.02 worth on it.
The ACC GoR runs to 2036 whether ESPN picks up the option or not. ESPN doesn't owe the ACC anything beyond 2027 though it's a favorable deal that's expected to be picked up by ESPN. I'm not overly bullish on FSUs legal case but in the year of our Lord 2024 you never know.

The question I have with lots of the ACC schools is who is actually going to want them? Take FSU for example, on paper it should be a very attractive school but if Florida will block them from the sec they have no leverage the Big Ten can basically given them a take or leave it offer. Maybe North Carolina and Duke are fine, but who actually moves the needle for media partners in the ACC?

LoudHogRider

Yells at Clouds
Elite Member
tPB OG
The ACC GoR runs to 2036 whether ESPN picks up the option or not. ESPN doesn't owe the ACC anything beyond 2027 though it's a favorable deal that's expected to be picked up by ESPN. I'm not overly bullish on FSUs legal case but in the year of our Lord 2024 you never know.

The question I have with lots of the ACC schools is who is actually going to want them? Take FSU for example, on paper it should be a very attractive school but if Florida will block them from the sec they have no leverage the Big Ten can basically given them a take or leave it offer. Maybe North Carolina and Duke are fine, but who actually moves the needle for media partners in the ACC?
It's my understand that the extension that would carry it forward until the 2030s has yet to be executed by ESPN. It's really hard to get the truth of it because the ACC contract is (allegedly) kept in a locked room at ACC HQ and member institutions aren't even allowed to have copies of it. When you visit the ACC HQ, you're not allowed to carry phones with you into the room where the contract is kept. Clearly some version(s) of it have "leaked out", but nobody knows if those are the final T&C's or a draft version due to the level of secrecy surrounding the contact itself.

And of all the dadburned teams ... I've read that Miami is a partner team with FSU. They don't seem to fit the B1G profile (smaller enrollment vs. diploma mills), but the advertisers are interested in the Miami market and of course the corches are interested in that Miami-area talent.

Baron Winnebago

Scrote Statistician
Elite Member
tPB OG
It's my understand that the extension that would carry it forward until the 2030s has yet to be executed by ESPN. It's really hard to get the truth of it because the ACC contract is (allegedly) kept in a locked room at ACC HQ and member institutions aren't even allowed to have copies of it. When you visit the ACC HQ, you're not allowed to carry phones with you into the room where the contract is kept. Clearly some version(s) of it have "leaked out", but nobody knows if those are the final T&C's or a draft version due to the level of secrecy surrounding the contact itself.

And of all the dadburned teams ... I've read that Miami is a partner team with FSU. They don't seem to fit the B1G profile (smaller enrollment vs. diploma mills), but the advertisers are interested in the Miami market and of course the corches are interested in that Miami-area talent.
At least from what's been reported ESPN has not picked up the TV deal but even if they don't, the ACC Grant of Rights is still in tact until 2036 assuming it's not invalidated by any court decision. So there's a world where ESPN washes their hands of the ACC and member schools are locked into the GoR for 9 more seasons trying to negotiate a TV deal with a new

Irv

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
I'm a little surprised CFP didn't insist on getting more networks involved. Missed opportunity.

huskerj12

Wide Receiver
tPB OG
I've read that Miami is a partner team with FSU. They don't seem to fit the B1G profile (smaller enrollment vs. diploma mills), but the advertisers are interested in the Miami market and of course the corches are interested in that Miami-area talent.
Over the years we've heard about schools being joined at the hip, have any of them actually caused problems because of that?

BorWhiskey

Ziggy Stardust
Insider
Elite Member
I'm a little surprised CFP didn't insist on getting more networks involved. Missed opportunity.
When people blast the B1G over the “alliance” blocking the 12-team playoff from occurring a year early, they leave off that it had a lot to do with this. Why approve something that allows only the SEC and ESPN to profit substantially? It’s just “they blocked it because they were butt hurt over UT and OU, and didn’t want to approve anything the SEC wanted.”

Irv

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
very kind of the committee to consider adding 2 teams to the playoff, just to make sure we have some cushion after Dylan Raiola sues the NFL to enter the draft as the number one pick post-sophomore year..

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds