Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Cover 3 Podcast talks Raiola.. (1 Viewer)

Bootleg11

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
Sorry to beat a dead horse but thought this was a good listen.

Bud Elliotts (247) take: if any coach screwed up in this recruitment it was Rhule for hiring Satterfield. You don’t make that hire for your OC if you want to recruit QBs with the big boys. Called it a buddy hire. Pointing to Satterfields track record with offenses and QBs. Specifally how Rattler looked and how South Carolina fans were glad he was gone.

Tom Fornelli and Danny Kanell disagreed: 1) Raiola went to Georgia because of their pedigree 2) Fornelli made the point of look at Rattler at OU with Lincoln Riley and at South Carolina with Satterfield. He was the same QB. Not even Riley could get him going 3). Can you blame Satterfield for his QBs when he's always worked with not very talented QBs. He then named QBs that Satterfield had worked with. I hadnt heard any of them. 4). Its not like Mike Bobo has been a great OC

Then theres banter about crazy uncles.

I dont agree with Bud although Satterfield was my least favorite hire.

Faux Sean Callahan

Head Coach
Insider
tPB OG
Bud Elliotts (247) take: if any coach screwed up in this recruitment it was Rhule for hiring Satterfield. You don’t make that hire for your OC if you want to recruit QBs with the big boys. Called it a buddy hire. Pointing to Satterfields track record with offenses and QBs. Specifally how Rattler looked and how South Carolina fans were glad he was gone.
Yeah, not going to lie, I am skeptical of Satterfield.

Been told he is a "good" OC, but I need to see it.

Also, been told he is going to take a certain QB to play for him mentally.

huskerj12

Wide Receiver
tPB OG
I’m still a little confused/intrigued about how the offense is supposed to look because Satterfield’s SC pro style/pocket passer style doesn’t quite match what Rhule ran at Baylor (and seems to want to run here) with dual threat QBs.

It’ll be interesting to see how it plays out! I just hope it’s not the usual attempt at being “multiple” and having no identity that we’ve seen throughout most of the ‘10s and ‘20s.

Bootleg11

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
Yeah, not going to lie, I am skeptical of Satterfield.

Been told he is a "good" OC, but I need to see it.

Also, been told he is going to take a certain QB to play for him mentally.
Rumor is his play calling gets really wordy. They are going to frame it as getting QBs ready for the NFL. Some are going to say not QB friendly.

Time will tell.

Bootleg11

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
I’m still a little confused/intrigued about how the offense is supposed to look because Satterfield’s SC pro style/pocket passer style doesn’t quite match what Rhule ran at Baylor (and seems to want to run here) with dual threat QBs.

It’ll be interesting to see how it plays out! I just hope it’s not the usual attempt at being “multiple” and having no identity that we’ve seen throughout most of the ‘10s and ‘20s.
Rhule has said in interviews that what he ran at Baylor won’t work at Nebraska.

Your better off looking at his years at Temple minus year one for an idea of what the offense will look like.

huskerj12

Wide Receiver
tPB OG

You’re better off looking at his years at Temple minus year one for an idea of what the offense will look like.
Eek, I did not hear that quote. I guess that’s where my confusion/hesitation comes in, because at Temple there was no QB run game at all. During their best season, their QB had a Zac Taylor-esque -100 rushing yards haha. Compared to Baylor’s best season, in which their QB had 344 rushing yards and 11 TDs.

I have to assume they’re planning to have QBs run the ball at least a little bit, considering our personnel and other things we saw/heard in spring. At least I hope so!

slattimer

Quarterback
Insider
GIF Master
tPB OG
Rumor is his play calling gets really wordy. They are going to frame it as getting QBs ready for the NFL. Some are going to say not QB friendly.

Time will tell.
Depends. Are they going to get a QB from a school that calls plays one word NASCAR super duper fast no huddle like Mustard or Hot Dog?

doublewing

Running Back
People overthink this. It was nice for DR to give us the time of day but the calculus is pretty easy: he went to the nation's best football program where he's surrounded by talent to thrive. NU is trying to make a bowl game and has nowhere near the talent.

It was nice to be considered by DR, but he wasn't coming to NU. We were in the friend zone and not a serious candidate for his services.

Last edited:

BluesBucksNHuskers

Running Back
Elite Member
Georgia: “We’re in the national championship game almost every year, come play for us!”

USC: “I’ve coached half the heisman winners at QB for the last decade, come play for us!”

Nebraska: “Your dad played here and we didn’t fire your uncle”

I really don’t think we need to play the blame game on this one

DuckSker

RedSeaFarts=Sandalwood
Elite Member
To be top 3 after the last 20 years was a testament to Rhule more than anything. I have to think Nebraska wasn’t even top 10 with Frost.
Meh. Ricky Bobby and recruiting have a lot in common… if you ain’t first your last.

Tell_Sackett

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member

Your better off looking at his years at Temple minus year one for an idea of what the offense will look like.

Well. The spring game tells a different story
If we don't utilize a QB run game with Sims, I'll be shocked. That will work about as well as trying to force 2AM into being a pocket passer.

The downside is Sims will almost certainly get nicked and judging by what we now have behind him, may cost us a game or two or the season if it was something serious.

slattimer

Quarterback
Insider
GIF Master
tPB OG
If we don't utilize a QB run game with Sims, I'll be shocked. That will work about as well as trying to force 2AM into being a pocket passer.

The downside is Sims will almost certainly get nicked and judging by what we now have behind him, may cost us a game or two or the season if it was something serious.
I get that people are worried about the QB getting hurt if he runs the ball. And we've been snake bitten by it a lot lately. But it's modern day football. Many of the top teams across the country run their QBs. They run read game, they run RPOs where a DE is also unblocked...It's a risk you take. But I just don't assume we have all of these fragile QBs that will get hurt the moment he runs. If I'm worried about anything in terms of a QB getting hurt is not when he's running, it's when he's in the pocket and our subpar OL breaks down and results in sacks and hits on the QB. So to me, I think worrying about the running of the QB is unfounded. We should run him more. We should utilize the read game, should utilize the RPO game, because then our OL is run blocking, and not having to pass pro and risk the QB taking hits he's not expecting. You know you're getting hit running the ball, and they're fine.

And Rhule can say all he wants they're going to be more like Temple...given, I have no idea what Temple looked like when he was there. I'm judging what they looked like in the spring, and what they looked like at Baylor when I studied them. It looks, a lot like Baylor IMO.

MtnHusker

Legend
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG

I think Rhule will do like he has in the past by adapting to his talent and location. If he has a QB who is a good runner we will see more RPO and QB carries. I think that helps out our current line situation a bit. Once we get a better O Line I can see him continuing to adapt the offense to the strengths of our personnel. Statue QB's would be running for their lives behind last years line and probably this season's line. Good coaches have the ability to adapt to their situations. Look at TO, he totally switched from Devaney's offense and kept making tweaks & changes until he had what might be one of the first working models of a general RPO during our glory years.

CornHub

Offensive Lineman
Can’t really blame this on Rhule, Satterfield, or anyone on this current administration.

It was Frost and the shit he brought to Nebraska that drove away DR.

Yeah, I wonder if Nebraska being terrible at football had more to do with it than Satterfield. Lol
Yeah, I'm pretty sure they avoided the obvious since it doesn't make very good conversation at this point. Also, I think the question might have been phrased to ask what could have been done differently to get their commitment. Rhule couldn't go back in time and make them win, but he could have hired a brand name OC.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds