Welcome to the forum 👋, Visitor

To access the forum content and all our services, you must register or log in to the forum. Becoming a member of the forum is completely free.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Basketball Season

That SOB Van Owen

In Mombasa drinkin’ gin
Elite Member
tPB OG
Now that football season is over, we can move on to Nebrasketball. I’ll admit I haven’t paid much attention to who is on the team because of all the attrition in the transition from Miles to Hoiberg. Someone school me. Will we be decent (by Nebrasketball standards) this year? Or do we need to wait until that five star kid gets to campus? Who are the players to know? What are realistic expectations for year two under Hoiberg?

We're gonna win a few games we shouldn't win and we're going to lose some games we shouldn't lose. We have some studs on the team like Banton and Allen. I have a feeling this team's gonna have a tough time finding a rhythm together which means another frustrating season. Robin actually does a pretty damn good job covering the team. Basnett from the LJS does a great job too. He's a great follow on twitter. He would fit in here nicely, me thinks. While I'm shouting out local reporters, I like Parker Gabriel from the LJS too. Seems like a good dude. I enjoy his work.

Here is Hoiberg's Zoom Call he had with Season Ticket Holders where he goes over his philosophies and the team. Gotta say I was blown away and psyched for the season. I think we will see a much improved team that is talented and deep. We have 5 players who have started on a Power5 Team (McGowens, Thor, Allen, Stevenson, Yvan) and 2 that started at smaller schools (Bantan, Webster). Thor has started for us and he is potentially the 3rd or 4th person off of the bench this season. Stevenson started as a Freshman at Pitt and he is most likely going to be coming off of the bench. We have only 1 scholarship player who is shorter than 6-4, and that is Webster 6-0 PG/SG. We will be one of the taller teams this season. Definitely an experienced team that has length, athleticism, outside shooters plus players who are versatile enough to create mismatches in Hoiberg's high octane "Positonless Offense". GBF!!!!!

I have no idea on record because the conference should be really strong, but the great compare and contrast with last year is that almost everyone who is playing big minutes this year has proven that they belong at a major conference level. Depending on how the team gels, it could be a really strong tourney contender, but again, the big ten is a fucking murderers row this year.

On paper, it seems like the biggest issue is going to be nailing down the rotation because they've got 10 guys for like 7 plausible spots.
From what I have read it appears our starting 5 will most likely be:
- 6-9 SO Banton
- 6-4 JR McGowens
- 6-6 JR Allen
- 6-9 JR Mayen
- 6-9 SO Yvan

First off the bench depending on what is needed that game but these are the 4 most likely as of now:
- 6-0 SR Webster
- 6-6 JR Stevenson
- 6-6 SR Thor
- 6-8 JR Walker

Last edited:
From what I have read it appears our starting 5 will most likely be:
- 6-9 SO Banton
- 6-4 JR McGowens
- 6-6 JR Allen
- 6-9 JR Mayen
- 6-9 SO Yvan

First off the bench depending on what is needed but these are the 4 most likely as of now:
- 6-0 SR Webster
- 6-6 JR Stevenson
- 6-6 SR Thor
- 6-8 JR Walker
That looks right. Seems like Yvan won't close games though as he's too much of a liability from the line (or at least not as good as others depending on improvement). So Webster or Stevenson will close dependent on the opponent and their size. But maybe thor closes. Lots of intriguing options

My favorite part about Hoiberg basketball is you can see a clear vision of what they want even if they don’t have the talent or parts yet.

I think we do have the parts to make the big ten very interesting this year.

Last edited:

Theme customization system

You can customize some areas of the forum theme from this menu.

• Wide/Narrow view

You can control a structure that you can use to use your theme wide or narrow.

Grid view forum list

You can control the layout of the forum list in a grid or ordinary listing style structure.

Picture grid mode

You can control the structure where you can open/close images in the grid forum list.

Close sidebar

You can get rid of the crowded view in the forum by closing the sidebar.

Fixed sidebar

You can make it more useful and easier to access by pinning the sidebar.

Close radius

You can use the radius at the corners of the blocks according to your taste by closing/opening it.

• Color combinations cannot be used

Color combinations are not available to you, this area may be restricted by administrators. Please contact the administrator for more information.

Backgrounds are not available!

Background checks are not available to you, this area may be restricted by administrators. Please contact the administrator for more information.

Back