Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

B1G National Championships (1 Viewer)

CornHub

Offensive Lineman
In the last 30 years, Nebraska has as many football national championships as the rest of the B1G. If you exclude Michigan's (we all know Nebraska would have beaten them), Nebraska has more. What's even worse, those 3 football national championships would almost be more than the rest of the B1G in all 3 major men's sports combined, and would be as many if you don't count Maryland since they weren't in the B1G at the time when they won NCAA tournament and Michigan's shared title. Conversely, the SEC has won 34 total, and (since we know the B1G doesn't care about baseball) 22 in basketball and football alone.

1994 Nebraska
1995 Nebraska
1997 Nebraska (split with Michigan)
2000 MSU Basketball
2002 Maryland Basketball
2002 Ohio State Football
2014 Ohio State Football

This conference likes to beat it's chest, but it's the shining example of mediocrity.

Kaladin

Professor of Aesthetics / Positive Boogeyman
Elite Member
I mean there was a reason we all made fun of the Big Ten until about 2011 when it changed for no reason in particular
andy samberg jake peralta GIF by Brooklyn Nine-Nine

BIGSTICK67

Board Chairman - TPB, LLC
Elite Member
tPB OG
And to be fair we were probably the best team in 99.

If TO stays another 5-8 years, he tacks on another title...or two.

B1G does a lot of virtual signaling, along with things that don't make sense. 9 conference games for one.

Last edited:

CornHub

Offensive Lineman
Great point. I’d note that I rooted against the B10 before 2011 and even more so now.

If it’s not Nebraska winning them, then no one should. F this conference.
I was curious, and it really isn't much better for the B1G before '94 either until Nebraska's championships in the '70s. PSU won their championships before joining the B1G. The B1G was however much better at basketball before 1990. Not sure what happened, but the basketball championships really dried up after that.

BIGSTICK67

Board Chairman - TPB, LLC
Elite Member
tPB OG
Great point. I’d note that I rooted against the B10 before 2011 and even more so now.

If it’s not Nebraska winning them, then no one should. F this conference.

Is it petty that I agree with you on this? Or are we both petty?

I think we're both petty.

doublewing

Running Back
I was curious, and it really isn't much better for the B1G before '94 either until Nebraska's championships in t. he '70s. PSU won their championships before joining the B1G. The B1G was however much better at basketball before 1990. Not sure what happened, but the basketball championships really dried up after that.
Just a thought on football: the SEC wasn't nearly as dominant in the 80's/90's as they are today. Still very good but not a given to win or play for the title each year.

An increase in population in the SEC states over the last 30 years has likely influenced this. They lock down the best players and have more to choose from. That and having a coach like Nick Saban in your conference requires everyone to up their game.

Emergence of the SEC has overshadowed every conference, including the B10.

Last edited:

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds