Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Anyone with a scrimmage report (1 Viewer)

nja13

2x All-state FG/PAT holder
Elite Member
Surely someone was at the scrimmage today, which I believe was part of the coaches clinic. Any reports coming?

jickey moseph

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
From poster Gary Wood over on Tater Island -

Nebraska Coaches Clinic 3/31 - 4/1

My focus was the coaches. I am constantly trying to get better myself. There are no comments on the players.

Evan Cooper - Low Red Zone “Man Defense”
Red zone focus. All man concepts. Cooper’s favorite.
Tell your kids to slow down here. Do not worry about getting beat over the top.
No matter your scheme …. You will probably play man when it counts the most. Inside the 10.
Play more flat-footed. “Cliff Technique” if you back up you are going to fall off a cliff.
Quick cuts by WRs. We cut on the same foot as the WRs (game many cutups from NFL)
Talked about Motion Concepts. What to do versus Stack and Bunch.
This was very good stuff. Simple and works with everything.
  • Bracket (Inside Out versus Top WRs. Cooper Kupp)
    • Do not let their best player beat you.
  • Lock
  • Levels (So DBs do not run into each other)
  • Switch Concepts in the red zone. Great stuff. Love how Coach Cooper teaches it.
  • Rep what to do versus motion
  • Typical off-man tech.
My takeaway: Need to work more on simplifying coverages and alignment versus formation. Front loaded in the season. Spend the time to reinforce concepts. Can do during prepractice without pads. Create HUDL playlists to reinforce concepts in the offseason.

Rob Dvoracek - 4 Down Quarters vs 11 Personnel RPO Game
Was more of a Nickel and safety clinic. The overhang players.
Attacking RPO.
Back Away. Back Near.
Quick reads.
Gap integrity.
Be disciplined and do your job.
Focus during clinic on tackling tech
Same foot same shoulder. Very basic.
My takeaway: Simplicity from an inside linebacker standpoint. Attack and know your job. Rep in practice. Don’t overthink this.

Tony White - Defending Empty
Different games he played with his 6 in the box. Most were cover zero (except Cold)
“Hot” - Bringing 6
“Cold” - Drop 8
“Okie” - Wide 6s from DE. DEs do not have to be D-lineman. Use what you have. SPEED!!!!
“Tag” - Attack w/6 and if get touched … drop and get big with arms. Ball is coming right now. If you do not get touched …. Keep going to QB.
“Contain” - For a running QB. Players designated to contain. Could be anyone.
My takeaway: Coach White was pretty basic. I love his focus on morphing the defense based on your talent. If you have a bunch of DBs. Use more DBs. If you have a bunch of DE/OLBers … use them. Overall, this defense is predicated on speed. Find your best athletes and find ways to incorporate them.

Terrance Knighton - Bear Defense and Adjustments
3 tech never get reached
Squeeze - Attack shoulder
Playing half man.
Inside hand attack sternum. Outside attacks shoulder
He likes inside hand down and outside hand reading to punch.
Question from Coaches: Which leg do you want forward?
“Much be comfortable”
½ yard off in order to get foot down for balance. May need wider base.
He is huge in getting off the ball. He said this multiple times.
Pass rush: After first move … bull rush. If your first move doesn’t work, don’t dance.
Slanting tech. Aiming points

Practice Observations

Each coach had player demonstrations for about 40 minutes for the clinic. I went to the DL. Coach Knighton lets us ask questions. The first question was about double teams.
“Attack one man. Not both. He stays square … we stay square. He turns… we turn.” Love this. Simple and efficient. I can tell Coach Knighton is a good communicator. Since he lived this life as a player, it isn’t coach speak. It is HIS experience. You can tell coaches that are speaking what they were taught. And you can tell coaches that are speaking what they lived. There is a level of confidence. Coach Knighton has that. I have zero worries about our DL and the future so long as Coach Knighton is here.
Coach then addressed questions on Pullers, Never getting reached, and do not let your “feet panic”. Keep your hands.

Coach Cooper. Damn. He is on another level. By far the best DB coach I’ve ever seen. He relates to the players. He is tough. He is detailed. It is obvious he is teaching exactly what they teach in the NFL. I’ve taught DBs for almost 30 years. I could not write enough notes just watching him coach. The players demonstrated on air. With a partner. If you didn’t have a partner…. pretend. Press Man. Catch Man. Off man. Players coach players. Leadership. Very professional. Coach Cooper notices the little things. Very impressed actually getting the chance to watch him coach.

Attention to Detail
We have heard this about Coach Rhule and his expectations. Here is an example. While stretching and lined up 5 yards apart. Each player took off their helmet and positioned to their right facing the middle of the field. And they did it with respect. Side note…. Every helmet had an N on it. Some past coaches did not do this because you had to earn the N. Coach Ruhl has embraced the N and requiring each player to show respect.

Turnover Circuit
Hoop Drill and Punch drill. Could not see the 3 third rotation. I’m assuming it was a stripping drill. Everyone rotated.

Special teams Circuit
Loved this. I loved how this was broken down. DL - 2 Attacking shoulders of 1 on FG block. (which they did in the scrimmage). Attacking gunners on press. And Kickoff getting depth then doubling. Love this focus.

Scrimmage
So … this was very interesting to me. I often watch coaches coach. Found myself watching Coach Ruhl most of the time. One word. Accountability!!! Everyone was held accountable. The person running the clock. The coaches coaching. Himself. Players not hustling. He coaches his coaches hard. Harder than Pelini did. However, it was different. It was more of a tone-setter. I got the impression he was demonstrating that no person was safe. During practice in the Hawks… he got on the equipment guys for not getting a sled off the field. His focus was on the coach that was in control. Not the kids. At one moment at the end of the scrimmage … he made everyone run. Even the coaches. Himself included. Coach Foley tried. He was last. Accountability.

Coach McGuire. Anyone concerned here needs to stop. This dude has endless energy. He is constantly teaching. As in …. Constantly. Since he is young … he is running everywhere. At one point, he asked for 2 players to get in a play. They didn’t hustle fast enough. He stopped them. Made them start over and sprint. Then stopped them and picked 2 other WRs. At the same time, he was constantly giving positive reinforcement. Finding something good and something to improve on. “Great job on your cut. Now get better width and set the DB up.” Can tell has grown up around coaching.

I’m going to avoid commenting on specific players. They are all swimming it in right now. They are learning and making mistakes. Love the direction.

Can’t wait for the spring game.

Kaladin

Professor of Aesthetics / Positive Boogeyman
Elite Member
From poster Gary Wood over on Tater Island -

Nebraska Coaches Clinic 3/31 - 4/1

My focus was the coaches. I am constantly trying to get better myself. There are no comments on the players.

Evan Cooper - Low Red Zone “Man Defense”
Red zone focus. All man concepts. Cooper’s favorite.
Tell your kids to slow down here. Do not worry about getting beat over the top.
No matter your scheme …. You will probably play man when it counts the most. Inside the 10.
Play more flat-footed. “Cliff Technique” if you back up you are going to fall off a cliff.
Quick cuts by WRs. We cut on the same foot as the WRs (game many cutups from NFL)
Talked about Motion Concepts. What to do versus Stack and Bunch.
This was very good stuff. Simple and works with everything.
  • Bracket (Inside Out versus Top WRs. Cooper Kupp)
    • Do not let their best player beat you.
  • Lock
  • Levels (So DBs do not run into each other)
  • Switch Concepts in the red zone. Great stuff. Love how Coach Cooper teaches it.
  • Rep what to do versus motion
  • Typical off-man tech.
My takeaway: Need to work more on simplifying coverages and alignment versus formation. Front loaded in the season. Spend the time to reinforce concepts. Can do during prepractice without pads. Create HUDL playlists to reinforce concepts in the offseason.

Rob Dvoracek - 4 Down Quarters vs 11 Personnel RPO Game
Was more of a Nickel and safety clinic. The overhang players.
Attacking RPO.
Back Away. Back Near.
Quick reads.
Gap integrity.
Be disciplined and do your job.
Focus during clinic on tackling tech
Same foot same shoulder. Very basic.
My takeaway: Simplicity from an inside linebacker standpoint. Attack and know your job. Rep in practice. Don’t overthink this.

Tony White - Defending Empty
Different games he played with his 6 in the box. Most were cover zero (except Cold)
“Hot” - Bringing 6
“Cold” - Drop 8
“Okie” - Wide 6s from DE. DEs do not have to be D-lineman. Use what you have. SPEED!!!!
“Tag” - Attack w/6 and if get touched … drop and get big with arms. Ball is coming right now. If you do not get touched …. Keep going to QB.
“Contain” - For a running QB. Players designated to contain. Could be anyone.
My takeaway: Coach White was pretty basic. I love his focus on morphing the defense based on your talent. If you have a bunch of DBs. Use more DBs. If you have a bunch of DE/OLBers … use them. Overall, this defense is predicated on speed. Find your best athletes and find ways to incorporate them.

Terrance Knighton - Bear Defense and Adjustments
3 tech never get reached
Squeeze - Attack shoulder
Playing half man.
Inside hand attack sternum. Outside attacks shoulder
He likes inside hand down and outside hand reading to punch.
Question from Coaches: Which leg do you want forward?
“Much be comfortable”
½ yard off in order to get foot down for balance. May need wider base.
He is huge in getting off the ball. He said this multiple times.
Pass rush: After first move … bull rush. If your first move doesn’t work, don’t dance.
Slanting tech. Aiming points

Practice Observations

Each coach had player demonstrations for about 40 minutes for the clinic. I went to the DL. Coach Knighton lets us ask questions. The first question was about double teams.
“Attack one man. Not both. He stays square … we stay square. He turns… we turn.” Love this. Simple and efficient. I can tell Coach Knighton is a good communicator. Since he lived this life as a player, it isn’t coach speak. It is HIS experience. You can tell coaches that are speaking what they were taught. And you can tell coaches that are speaking what they lived. There is a level of confidence. Coach Knighton has that. I have zero worries about our DL and the future so long as Coach Knighton is here.
Coach then addressed questions on Pullers, Never getting reached, and do not let your “feet panic”. Keep your hands.

Coach Cooper. Damn. He is on another level. By far the best DB coach I’ve ever seen. He relates to the players. He is tough. He is detailed. It is obvious he is teaching exactly what they teach in the NFL. I’ve taught DBs for almost 30 years. I could not write enough notes just watching him coach. The players demonstrated on air. With a partner. If you didn’t have a partner…. pretend. Press Man. Catch Man. Off man. Players coach players. Leadership. Very professional. Coach Cooper notices the little things. Very impressed actually getting the chance to watch him coach.

Attention to Detail
We have heard this about Coach Rhule and his expectations. Here is an example. While stretching and lined up 5 yards apart. Each player took off their helmet and positioned to their right facing the middle of the field. And they did it with respect. Side note…. Every helmet had an N on it. Some past coaches did not do this because you had to earn the N. Coach Ruhl has embraced the N and requiring each player to show respect.

Turnover Circuit
Hoop Drill and Punch drill. Could not see the 3 third rotation. I’m assuming it was a stripping drill. Everyone rotated.

Special teams Circuit
Loved this. I loved how this was broken down. DL - 2 Attacking shoulders of 1 on FG block. (which they did in the scrimmage). Attacking gunners on press. And Kickoff getting depth then doubling. Love this focus.

Scrimmage
So … this was very interesting to me. I often watch coaches coach. Found myself watching Coach Ruhl most of the time. One word. Accountability!!! Everyone was held accountable. The person running the clock. The coaches coaching. Himself. Players not hustling. He coaches his coaches hard. Harder than Pelini did. However, it was different. It was more of a tone-setter. I got the impression he was demonstrating that no person was safe. During practice in the Hawks… he got on the equipment guys for not getting a sled off the field. His focus was on the coach that was in control. Not the kids. At one moment at the end of the scrimmage … he made everyone run. Even the coaches. Himself included. Coach Foley tried. He was last. Accountability.

Coach McGuire. Anyone concerned here needs to stop. This dude has endless energy. He is constantly teaching. As in …. Constantly. Since he is young … he is running everywhere. At one point, he asked for 2 players to get in a play. They didn’t hustle fast enough. He stopped them. Made them start over and sprint. Then stopped them and picked 2 other WRs. At the same time, he was constantly giving positive reinforcement. Finding something good and something to improve on. “Great job on your cut. Now get better width and set the DB up.” Can tell has grown up around coaching.

I’m going to avoid commenting on specific players. They are all swimming it in right now. They are learning and making mistakes. Love the direction.

Can’t wait for the spring game.
Well Done Reaction GIF

Herbie

Quarterback
View attachment 21763

23 picks is awful

Also, not completing passes at a great clip.... NOW Ga Tech is fucking awful. He will have more talent around him here.
It’s kind of amazing how many amazingly athletically gifted qbs Nebraska gets yet you can’t trust them to not turn it over.

It’s like Nebraska gets the Big Lots Dylan Raiolas

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds