Welcome to The Platinum Board

We are a Nebraska Husker fan community. Please either login or register for an account

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Anyone Heard the Name Bob Wager? Just Met Him at Isles - Texas High School Coach - Seemingly Potential New Husker Coach?

Potentially, but not likely.

Then again, if it's your goal to break into P5 coaching is it worth taking a bit of a pay cut to get your foot in the door?
I agree with this but don’t you think he’s had previous opportunities to jump into P5 before us? He’s been a high school head coach for 23 years. You’d think someone would’ve offered him some sort of analyst job before us.

Why wait until you’re 52 to jump into a P5 gig?

Potentially, but not likely.

Then again, if it's your goal to break into P5 coaching is it worth taking a bit of a pay cut to get your foot in the door?
No, not from where he is currently at. I suppose if he's going to retire and pull from TRS..maybe.

I agree with this but don’t you think he’s had previous opportunities to jump into P5 before us? He’s been a high school head coach for 23 years. You’d think someone would’ve offered him some sort of analyst job before us.

its called a midlife crisis you ding bat. I had one in my 60’s, Went and bought yellow corvette and wanted to snowbird to AZ. well, 2 penicillin shots later here i am back in nebraska farmin

Really valid question. The ONLY thing I can think of that possibly makes sense here is ... he trusts Matt Rhule and knows this won't be a one-year-n-done opportunity. He can get his kids through school up here before the inevitable volatility of the assistance coaching world catches up to you at the collegiate level. And after so many years of doing the same thing at Arlington, perhaps his simply ready for a new challenge.

I've never heard of the man until yesterday, but after watching that video of him, it seems like he's the kind of man you'd want on your staff at any level. Energetic, positive, knowledgable, experienced and dedicated AF to his craft.

Cost of living in Arlington v Lincoln?? gotta be cheaper to live in Lincoln..take the pay cut to get a few years of blue-blood P5 program on your resume then bounce for a better gig at G5 level.

I agree at 52 it's a lot to consider but from the video it sounds like the family is all in on his football dream.

Nice find @Lonny Boysen
Haha, thanks man…..it literally just fell in my lap (errrrr, the empty chair at our table), but I wanted to bring it to tPB first.

I did share it on Rivals shortly after, but I can’t wait for Dean to steal my scoop.

PS - dude didn’t seem 52 to me (and 52 simply isn’t as old as it used to be). He was also extremely polite and engaged…..tons of “yes sirs” and “no, ma’am’s,” and he was good at at least feigning true interest during even the most boring of stories from my group haha.

I missed what he said when he asked to sit down (other end of the 8-top), so it was a strange situation to suddenly have this bald-dude playing 20-questions? Lol

He went straight to another table after us, so clearly the man was on a mission to glean as many honest opinions as he could get.

Last edited:
Another note: The only reason I figured out who he is was because his son was wearing a letterman jacket with (what turned out to be) their last name on the back: WAGER.

Couldn’t find a Wager high in Texas, but this Bob guy kept popping up and I finally looked at one and saw the pic haha.

Cost of living in Arlington v Lincoln?? gotta be cheaper to live in Lincoln..take the pay cut to get a few years of blue-blood P5 program on your resume then bounce for a better gig at G5 level.

I agree at 52 it's a lot to consider but from the video it sounds like the family is all in on his football dream.

Nice find @Lonny Boysen
He's the head coach/athletics coordinator at a 6A school in Texas. That's probably a better paying job than an assistant at a G5 school. His salary was $113,500 6 years ago. And that's not including whatever he gets from boosters.

I'm guessing he makes somewhere in the range of $150k+ a year now.

Wager talks about Rhule in this article by the way.

Because of this, Wager can’t even fathom just how many college coaches have come into his office over the years. He does remember the first time Rhule walked into his office, though. McGuire, a newly hired assistant for Rhule, joined him.

“It didn’t take long to figure out Matt Rhule is a genuine guy,” Wager said, “but I do think it goes a long way to have that tie: when you have someone with Texas high school football street credibility as the connecto

Haha, thanks man…..it literally just fell in my lap (errrrr, the empty chair at our table), but I wanted to bring it to tPB first.

I did share it on Rivals shortly after, but I can’t wait for Dean to steal my scoop.

PS - dude didn’t seem 52 to me (and 52 simply isn’t as old as it used to be). He was also extremely polite and engaged…..tons of “yes sirs” and “no, ma’am’s,” and he was good at at least feigning true interest during even the most boring of stories from my group haha.

I missed what he said when he asked to sit down (other end of the 8-top), so it was a strange situation to suddenly have this bald-dude playing 20-questions? Lol

He went straight to another table after us, so clearly the man was on a mission to glean as many honest opinions as he could get.
I don't have an On3 acct anymore...if he says something lettuce know please...

Props to @Lonny Boysen

Arlington Martin (Texas) High School head coach Bob Wager is a strong candidate to join Matt Rhule's Nebraska staff, sources told FootballScoop on Tuesday.

Wager's role on the Huskers' staff was not known at press time.

Wager has been the head coach at Martin since 2006. His Warriors teams never missed the playoffs in 17 seasons; Wager's 2022 team went 10-2 with his son, Gage, a senior running back for the Warriors.

Rhule had tremendous success hiring Texas high school coaches to his Baylor staff. Joey McGuire left Cedar Hill to join Rhule's staff and is now the head coach at Texas Tech. Current Baylor quarterbacks coach Shawn Bell (Round Rock Cedar Ridge) and associate AD for football relations David Wetzel (San Antonio Reagan) also left the Texas high school ranks to work for Rhule.

@Lonny Boysen is the

kate upton GIF

Theme customization system

You can customize some areas of the forum theme from this menu.

• Wide/Narrow view

You can control a structure that you can use to use your theme wide or narrow.

Grid view forum list

You can control the layout of the forum list in a grid or ordinary listing style structure.

Close sidebar

You can get rid of the crowded view in the forum by closing the sidebar.

Fixed sidebar

You can make it more useful and easier to access by pinning the sidebar.

• Color combinations cannot be used

Color combinations are not available to you, this area may be restricted by administrators. Please contact the administrator for more information.

Color gradient backgrounds
Back