Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

any idear where Nebraska men BB could play in the 1st round of ncaa basketball tournament? (2 Viewers)

Huskers4420

Linebacker
Depends on what they’re seeded, but since they’re most likely an 8/9, they’ll play in either Brooklyn (UConn), Memphis (Houston), or Charlotte (North Carolina/Tennessee).

Natural9

Cornerback
Elite Member
Depends on what they’re seeded, but since they’re most likely an 8/9, they’ll play in either Brooklyn (UConn), Memphis (Houston), or Charlotte (North Carolina/Tennessee).
This is correct. The other 1 (Purdue) will be in Indianapolis, so that site is off limits. If Nebraska moves up to a 7 or down to a 10, a bunch of other sites become possibilities (including Omaha, although I don’t see the committee putting them there).

Huskers4420

Linebacker
This is correct. The other 1 (Purdue) will be in Indianapolis, so that site is off limits. If Nebraska moves up to a 7 or down to a 10, a bunch of other sites become possibilities (including Omaha, although I don’t see the committee putting them there).

To add to that, it’s very possible that Baylor will end up being the 2 seed from the Big 12 and picking to play in Memphis, which means ISU and Kansas are both 3 seeds playing in Omaha, and I don’t think we have enough to get up to a 6 or drop to an 11 from the B1G tourney in order to get there.

I wasn’t about to drop $500+ a ticket to go to that game anyway tho.

Seaofred92

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
Nebrasketball
I am selfishly hoping for Charlotte. If thats where we wind up anyone who comes to the Queen City for the weekend can join me for a pizza party

Ironwardog

Linebacker
Elite Member
My whole life I’ve been a Husker basketball fan, but never really got into march madness and seeding teams. so in short I don’t watch basketball outside of Nebraska. Obviously a big reason for that is because most of my life Nebraska has never been a consistently good program. So my questions are why does a 7 or 10 seed open up other possibilities such as Omaha, AND why would the committee not want to put Nebraska in the Omaha bracket? Even they have to know the Nebraska games would almost certainly sell out.

ShortSideOption

Linebacker
Insider
My whole life I’ve been a Husker basketball fan, but never really got into march madness and seeding teams. so in short I don’t watch basketball outside of Nebraska. Obviously a big reason for that is because most of my life Nebraska has never been a consistently good program. So my questions are why does a 7 or 10 seed open up other possibilities such as Omaha, AND why would the committee not want to put Nebraska in the Omaha bracket? Even they have to know the Nebraska games would almost certainly sell out.
The reason other sites open up is because certain sites host certain seeds. Omaha is hosting 2 vs 15 and 7 vs 10 seeds in the first round then of course the winners in the second round. So once we move up or down in what our seeding could be, that opens up other sites but leaves us out of certain ones. If we play to an 8 or 9 seed we basically can't play in Omaha.

It's something like that. I'm sure I made a mistake in a couple things but it's about the seeding from how it was explained to me, and they won't move teams up or down in their seeds just for different geography or sites (well not the 10 seeds).

HuskerDocCo

100 & havin fun GBR !!
tPB OG
The reason other sites open up is because certain sites host certain seeds. Omaha is hosting 2 vs 15 and 7 vs 10 seeds in the first round then of course the winners in the second round. So once we move up or down in what our seeding could be, that opens up other sites but leaves us out of certain ones. If we play to an 8 or 9 seed we basically can't play in Omaha.

It's something like that. I'm sure I made a mistake in a couple things but it's about the seeding from how it was explained to me, and they won't move teams up or down in their seeds just for different geography or sites (well not the 10 seeds).
i hope we are a 10 seed , my bird seed sized brain likes that opportunity better than an 8/9

djw004

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
ohhh fiddle sticks

will ferrell snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

Huskers4420

Linebacker

It's not so much that Omaha is hosting certain seeding matchups, it's dependent on the top seeds going down the seed list that are picking that destination.

For instance, Houston is the overall 1 seed so gets first dibs on location and picks Memphis. Therefore, Memphis will have a 1/16 and 8/9 matchup. Next in line is Purdue, so Indianapolis will have at 1/16 and 8/9 matchup. Then Uconn. Then North Carolina.

Then you get to the 2's, which right now look like Tennessee, Arizona, Marquette and Baylor. None of those teams would choose Omaha, so that means Omaha wont have any 2/15 and 7/10 matchups.

Next line is the 3's, which would be IA State and Kansas, who would both pick Omaha, so Omaha would then have two 3/14 and 6/11 matchups.

Hopefully that helps illustrate it a bit.

Seaofred92

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
Nebrasketball

SSO is tangentally correct, but I want to add some context as well.

For Starters: Host sites for the entire tournament (First Round through Final Four) are determined by the NCAA in advance, with us knowing currently where the Final Four will be through 2030 and First/Second rounds through 2026. Link to site list here.

Each first round site hosts essentially 2 separate “pods“ of 4 teams leading to 6 total games (4 in the first round 2 in the second round) in that site. See CBS Bracketology link here for the sites as an example. Sites do not host pre-determined seed line matchups, they are “chosen” by highly ranked/low seeded geographically proximate teams. This means the seed lines for each first round site changes depending on the geographic proximity of the higher rated teams to the host sites.

Selection: For the first rounds, the NCAA will select host sites across the country to provide a variety of locales for qualifying teams to play in. For the first weekend, the NCAA provides the lower seeded teams a choice of their most preferential site so that they don’t have to travel overly far from their home location as a rule of thumb. The NCAA Selection Committee will select the qualifying teams for the tournament and then seed every team in the field from 1-68. The lower the seed you are, the more geographical preference you are given (I.e. UConn as a 1 will choose to play in Brooklyn due to proximity, and all else being equal, 1 or 2 seed UNC will choose Charlotte).

The main reason you‘d likely not see Nebraska in Omaha is so as to not give an “unfair” advantage to the higher seed against a lower seed in the first/second rounds. As an example of this, the year South Carolina men went to the Final Four (2017), they were a 7 seed, playing 2 seed Duke in Greenville, SC which is like 60 mins from their campus in Columbia, SC. This of course caused a ruckus and a spotlight to be shined on this issue due to its “unfairness” to the lower rated seed where Duke basically played a road game at South Carolina despite being a top 8 seed in the tournament.

Of course, it is harder and harder to avoid geographical conflicts of interest the further down the seed line you get due to their being more teams already slotted in the bracket and each of them having their own geographical preferences and proximity to the host sites. So while it is entirely possible that Nebraska gets put in Omaha, it will depend on who else qualifies for the tournament and is in their same general seed line to determine which side they ultimately wind up in.

Lastly, but interesting, teams can’t play at a “home” gym in the first round, so a team like Pickle Smoochers could never play in Omaha in the first round even if they were the #1 overall seed this year with Omaha as an option to them because they play more than x% of their games per year at that gym.

TLDR: Sites depend on seeding, with geographical preference given to higher seeds to choose sites that are closer to their campus to minimize travel and maximize fan support while not putting the “best” teams at a disadvantage

Last edited:

BIGSTICK67

Board Chairman - TPB, LLC
Elite Member
tPB OG
figure one or two of you sumbitchs might got an inkling , thanks!
Did you learn your English in England?

Worked with some guys from England in the past. Every time they had an idea...it was an idear. Pronounced - ID errr.

Husker_in_OK

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
Historically, if you're a higher seed you can play in a site that's in close proximity to your school .. IE : KU plays in Kansas City every time when KC is hosting when they are seeded 4th or better.. The only exception to this is they won't allow schools that play in the same city that is hosting .. IE - Pickle Smoochers isn't allowed to play in Omaha at their home court .. But if Nebraska was a 4 seed or higher, they very well could get the nod to play in Omaha

BIGSTICK67

Board Chairman - TPB, LLC
Elite Member
tPB OG
Historically, if you're a higher seed you can play in a site that's in close proximity to your school .. IE : KU plays in Kansas City every time when KC is hosting when they are seeded 4th or better.. The only exception to this is they won't allow schools that play in the same city that is hosting .. IE - Pickle Smoochers isn't allowed to play in Omaha at their home court .. But if Nebraska was a 4 seed or higher, they very well could get the nod to play in Omaha
Win the conference tourney and who knows?

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds