Welcome to the forum 👋, Visitor

To access the forum content and all our services, you must register or log in to the forum. Becoming a member of the forum is completely free.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Any Colorado elk hunters?

All I can say is that both the picture, and the scenario laid out have made me pre... Am quite jealous, and good luck! Am hoping to get lucky in a lottery this year for my first elk hunt.

I've hunted elk in WY 10-12 times. Was like $40 for a resident elk tag and you could draw the type 9 archery only tag every year.

I tried CO public land one year and was disappointed. Admittedly, we didn't really know what we were doing in the area we had. But when we got up there, there were hikers and campers everywhere. We'd hike for an hour way high up to try and get away from people, trying to be quiet the whole time, then when we finally got to an area we thought was off the beaten bath some hippy in a beanie and his lib GF were walking with their golden doodle.

I'm sure this does not help at all, but like @dsbigred1 said - I have pre-cum thinking about your upcoming hunt.

Bowhunting is extremely difficult but well worth it. I've never personally taken down an elk but I was with a friend of mine who did. We stalked a bull for two days. It was exhausting. You have to be so close to ensure you get a good shot. There's no rush like it. We were near Yampa, CO

I've hunted elk in WY 10-12 times. Was like $40 for a resident elk tag and you could draw the type 9 archery only tag every year.

I tried CO public land one year and was disappointed. Admittedly, we didn't really know what we were doing in the area we had. But when we got up there, there were hikers and campers everywhere. We'd hike for an hour way high up to try and get away from people, trying to be quiet the whole time, then when we finally got to an area we thought was off the beaten bath some hippy in a beanie and his lib GF were walking with their golden doodle.

I'm sure this does not help at all, but like @dsbigred1 said - I have pre-cum thinking about your upcoming hunt.
I wish I could get a resident tag.. MO had a total of 5 last year in the initial lottery. I put in for KY because I am just not gonna be able to dedicate a lot of time of travel and days in the field. Also, never hunted elk, and don't really want to spend a lot while I learn. Cost $30 total to get in lotteries for gun and archery for either sex.

I've never elk hunted in CO, but my advice would be to get into the best shape of your life.

The herds are going to be where people aren’t, it sounds simple but that’s not the case for Colorado Public. Get yourself in shape, if you see boot/atv tracks you haven’t walked far enough.

In a couple states I’ve had really good luck emailing/calling the local DNR for the area you’re hunting and getting info on the herds and they can usually save you quite a bit of tread on your boots.

Don’t trust locals.

Biggest thing is the harder it was for you to get there, the less likely another hunter was to be there. Keeping that in the back of my mind has made a ton of hunts successful for me

Colorado is over run with hunters. Been there on four different trips in the past 20 years and each trip it gets worse. I hunt first rifle in NW Colorado.

Can you harvest an animal? Sure. However, I'd rather not have my only shot opportunities at running animals from being pushed by the horde of people.

The experience is vastly different from public to private land. I’ve been 5 times, 3 times public. Public land all depends on the draw for the area you get to hunt, CO is sectioned off. If the zone you drew has elk then you’re in luck, if not you’ll be very frustrated. Elk move a lot depending on food sources. I would suggest hitting the trail very early, hiking up to a high point and glassing in over the surrounding area (if you have a spotting scope this is useful) and see if you can spot any in open areas. no need to hike for miles without knowing where they are. If it’s private you’re in luck, elk are bougie and love private land. You’ll probably see a shit ton.

Theme customization system

You can customize some areas of the forum theme from this menu.

• Wide/Narrow view

You can control a structure that you can use to use your theme wide or narrow.

Grid view forum list

You can control the layout of the forum list in a grid or ordinary listing style structure.

Picture grid mode

You can control the structure where you can open/close images in the grid forum list.

Close sidebar

You can get rid of the crowded view in the forum by closing the sidebar.

Fixed sidebar

You can make it more useful and easier to access by pinning the sidebar.

Close radius

You can use the radius at the corners of the blocks according to your taste by closing/opening it.

• Color combinations cannot be used

Color combinations are not available to you, this area may be restricted by administrators. Please contact the administrator for more information.

Backgrounds are not available!

Background checks are not available to you, this area may be restricted by administrators. Please contact the administrator for more information.

Back