Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

2023 Off Season Thread (4 Viewers)

Juro

Sarcastic Ass
Elite Member
Bounty Hunter
I’m not going to pretend that there aren’t some issues with increased crime in some areas of the city. There are some real problems that need to be solved.

But the characterization of Minneapolis as some sort of lawless hellscape is just pure over exaggeration out of the right wing echo chamber.
That’s just pure speculation from the left wing echo chamber; the ring wing only says Chicago, NYC, and Portland as lawless lands.

Carm

Graduate Assistant
Recruiting Analyst
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG
The most dangerous region in the country (highest violent crime and intentional murder rates) is, far and away, the South. There are Southern states with higher violent crimes rates than NYC. There are about 35 states that have higher per capita murder rates than NYC.

Huskerforlife

Head Coach
Elite Member

Steven Sipple: All-time Husker great Neil Smith tells his son Keelan Smith, “Be better than me.” Wouldn’t that be something?​

Steven Sipple • about 10 hours
Nebraska legacy Keelan Smith commits to the Huskers
Nebraska legacy Keelan Smith commits to the Huskers

Neil Smith has re-materialized in a significant manner in the Nebraska football realm.

Brings back memories, doesn’t it?

Wonderful memories for many of a certain age.

Don’t be surprised if you see Smith hanging around Lincoln more and more in coming years. Yes, perhaps you’ve heard, the all-time Husker and NFL great has a son who plans to play for dear ol’ NU.

Keelan Smith on Friday verbally committed to Nebraska.

Great memories? Well, Neil Smith was an All-American defensive tackle in 1987, playing alongside fellow All-American defenders Broderick Thomas (1987-88) and Danny Noonan (1986).

“I think Keelan, high school-wise, is probably a little bit better player than I was,” Neil Smith told HuskerOnline on Friday.

“He has the passion for it. He has a love for the game — always did, ever since he was a kid. Keelan’s development has been good, but he still has a lot more growing to do.”

“He can run pretty well,” Neil added. “He’s got good feet. Big hands, long arms, built a lot like me.”

Neil Smith became an NFL legend with Chiefs​

Here come the memories flooding back. A native of New Orleans, Neil Smith was listed at 6-foot-5 and 260 pounds at the end of his college career. His arms seemed impossibly long. He seemed impossibly quick and fast for someone his size.

Of course, that’s why he became the second overall pick in the 1988 NFL Draft, by the Kansas City Chiefs.

Kansas City is where he became a professional star, where he led the NFL in sacks in 1993, and where he lives now. He’s a significant part of Chiefs lore, a member of the NFL’s 1990s all-decade team alongside the likes of Reggie White and Bruce Smith.

That’s right, NFL all-decade team. That tells you almost all you need to know about the level of play achieved by 57-year-old Neil Smith — who readily supplies a nice scouting report on his son.

The 6-foot-3, 210-pound Keelan Smith, who stars for Liberty North (Missouri) High School, is a three-star recruit who could end up playing on either side of the ball.

“He likes to catch it and run with it,” Neil Smith said. “He’s not the fastest of the fast, but he makes things happen. He’s got a little swag to himself now, more than I had at that age. I just came in quietly. He’s a confident kid, and that’s what you need to have.

“We’ll see what happens.”

Neil Smith said his son has never lifted weights in the manner he will encounter as a Nebraska player.

“When I went up to college, Nebraska’s coaches threw me in at d-tackle and I was like, ‘Wow,’” the elder Smith recalled. “I came into college weighing about 215. I started learning about training and loving the weight room. I found out that those weights were going to save me.

“Once you start seeing your body develop, you start getting into it more and more. I think Keelan will do the same thing. I think he’ll feel the same way I felt when I was in Lincoln.”

Neil Smith can teach his son importance of patience​

His dad can counsel Keelan on the importance of patience and keeping an open mind as far as what position to settle in.

“When Nebraska put me at tackle, that kind of threw me for a little bit of a shock,” Neil said. “I was an edge rusher. I told (former Husker defensive coordinator) Charlie McBride that. I told coach (Tom) Osborne that. They were like, ‘No, this is where we need you. You’ve got to learn this.’”

It obviously worked out well for all parties.

“The good thing for me was, the Big Eight back then was a running league, and I had a lot of fun learning how to play the run,” Smith said.

The elder Smith notes that his son received more recruiting attention than he did. Keelan Smith chose Nebraska over scholarship offers from Missouri, UCLA, Kansas State and Cockeye.

“He was recruited way more than me, actually,” Neil Smith said. “I was strongly considering entering the service. My father and grandfather were Marines.”

Which explains why Neil Smith often wore camouflage fatigues and combat boots to UNL classes. He also wore those boots in Nebraska’s weight room.

He ran sprints with them on. They became a trademark. They were comfortable, he said, and supplied good support.

They were kind of like the blanket you get used to, he said with a laugh.

As a college player, Smith kept growing and getting stronger, which was precisely what Nebraska’s coaches envisioned. Smith was recruited to NU by the late Jack Pierce, the most dynamic recruiter on Osborne’s staff for a period.

Smith describes Pierce as his “founding angel.”

“I got the last scholarship from Nebraska in 1984, the last one they gave out that year,” Smith recalled. “It’s all because Jack Pierce came down to my high school (McDonogh 35 in New Orelans) looking at a quarterback.

“I got a phone call from Nebraska saying they were trying to get an offensive lineman to commit, and if he committed, I could come to Nebraska as a walk-on.”

Keelan knows his dad’s story well​

That offensive lineman ended up committing to Oklahoma, paving the way for Smith to receive a scholarship.

“I ended up with the last scholarship that year,” he said. “It almost didn’t happen. Just by the grace of God and prayers, it happened. I was one call away from going to be a Marine.

“I’ve been a sleeper all my life.”

Rest assured, Keelan knows his dad’s story. He’s watched the film. He knows how hard his dad played the game.

“It’s about patience,” the elder Smith said. “It’s what I teach Keelan. You have desire and you’ve got to find yourself.

You’ve got to find out how good you can be, with no exceptions. I think Keelan has that attitude. He wants to be the best.

“I told Keelan that I made a commitment to myself: Never take a play off.”

“He’s never wanted to fail — he doesn’t want any part of that,” the elder Smith added. “He would say, ‘I want to be like you.’ I’d say, ‘No, be better than me.’”

Speak it into existence, Neil tells his son.

Oh, yes, here come the memories again.

The younger Smith can make some of his own.

Last edited:

BorWhiskey

Ziggy Stardust
Insider
Elite Member
Why not spend more to make top 5?

Here is the source article.

I wish they gave more detail into what percent was allocated to what bucket of money but they have this to say:
IMG_5797.jpeg

I think a key asterisk that is brushed over above is that schools classify recruiting budgets differently. My gut tells me that tOSU is much higher all things considered equally.

To your question, Nebraska was third in average annual spend from 2017-2021. Only in the coaching change over did we drop the way we did.

Huskerforlife

Head Coach
Elite Member

(Gasparilla Bowl for NU)

College football bowl projections: Early playoff predictions, matchups for every game in 2023​

Way-too-early picks for every bowl game coming out of spring practice.​

BRAD CRAWFORD 4 hrs ago

You know college football bowl projections are big here, and it's that time of year — after spring practice — to examine potential 2023 postseason matchups.

Of course, it's impossible to be completely accurate at this point, but it is prediction time for the College Football Playoff and New Year's Six, all the way down to the Bahamas Bowl before Christmas.

It is important to keep in mind that, outside of the New Year's Six and certain contract bowl games, ESPN and bowl organizers have a lot of control over who goes where in the smaller-tier games.

Factors such as travel considerations and ratings based on matchups play a big role in determining which teams go to which bowls.

These projections are all subject to change, especially with the Big 12 still figuring out its affiliations after expansion, and other conferences having more bowl-eligible teams than spots available.

But don't worry, the powers that be behind the scenes will sort it all out, and it's rare that a bowl-eligible team doesn't get a chance to play in the postseason.

Here is a look at postseason projections coming out of spring.

Los Angeles Bowl
Projected matchup
: San Diego State vs. Arizona

Here is a Pac-12 team in the Pac-12 that does not get enough attention, but they deserve some. Arizona lost WR1 Dorian Singer to USC in the portal, but the Wildcats do welcome back their top touchdown scorer in running back Michael Wiley and this offense is going to be capable of scoring a lot of points. They press the issue on that side of the football.

New Mexico Bowl
Projected matchup
: Air Force vs. WKU

Lending Tree Bowl
Projected matchup
: Georgia Southern vs. Toledo

Potato Bowl
Projected matchup
: San Jose State vs. Miami (Ohio)

Frisco Bowl
Projected matchup
: Cincinnati vs. SMU

Myrtle Beach Bowl
Projected matchup
: UCF vs. Troy

The Big 12 is not affiliated with the Myrtle Beach Bowl, but where will one of the league's mid-tier teams fit in the postseason given expansion? Who knows. This one's a guess.

John Rhys Plumlee is back as the Knights' starting quarterback under Gus Malzahn, who has a new offensive coordinator after his left for the opening at North Carolina.

Fenway Bowl
Projected matchup
: Wake Forest vs. Boise State

New Orleans Bowl
Projected matchup
: Liberty vs. South Alabama

Boca Raton Bowl
Projected matchup:
Appalachian State vs. UAB

Cure Bowl
Projected matchup
: Army vs. James Madison

Armed Forces Bowl
Projected matchup
: Kansas vs. Middle Tennessee

Who knows if the Jayhawks can continue their climb, but with Jalon Daniels at quarterback, this Kansas team is going to be a nightmare to defend for other Big 12 teams.

There are some holes on the roster that still need to be addressed, but currently, this two-deep should be able to get back to bowl season and perhaps win a postseason game.

Las Vegas Bowl
Projected matchup
: Kentucky vs. UCLA

Independence Bowl
Projected matchup
: BYU vs. Washington State

11738924.jpg
(Photo: Steven Branscombe, Getty)

Gasparilla Bowl
Projected matchup
: Mississippi State vs. Nebraska

Two first-year coaches meeting in Tampa to end the season? Seems like a job well done for both parties.

For Nebraska, it marks a substantial development under Matt Rhule, who is tasked with bringing the Huskers back to respectability after the horrors under Scott Frost.

Another team with a transfer starter under center, Georgia Tech's Jeff Sims may finally get a chance to play in a bowl game.

Hawaii Bowl
Projected matchup
: UTSA vs. Utah State

Bahamas Bowl
Projected matchup
: North Texas vs. Ohio

Quick Lane Bowl
Projected matchup
: Purdue vs. Western Michigan

Winning six games would be a big deal for Ryan Walters at Purdue given what he has inherited. Jeff Brohm left the Boilermakers for his alma-mater and credit the decision-makers for moving quick on their guy. September could determine where this team stands under its new regime.

There are winnable games in the first month and then there are games that could push Purdue to the next level nearing the midseason junction.

Camellia Bowl
Projected matchup
: Eastern Michigan vs. Coastal Carolina

Birmingham Bowl
Projected matchup
: Memphis vs. Auburn

Bowl eligibility in Year 1 for Hugh Freeze on the Plains would appease the fanbase as long as there aren't many lopsided losses mixed into a .500 or 7-5 season.

Auburn's not far away from being a tough out in the SEC West and the Tigers believe they've signed a few instant-impact portal players — including Michigan State quarterback Payton Thorne — that bring instant competition to vital position groups.

First Responder Bowl
Projected matchup
: Baylor vs. Florida

Guaranteed Rate Bowl
Projected matchup
: Kansas State vs. Michigan State

Mel Tucker lost his potential starting quarterback and the Spartans' best play-making wide receiver to the transfer portal prior to the spring window closing.

Perhaps those two Spartans knew something we don't? Michigan State only needs to get to six wins to get here and we think they can do it. Kansas State dropping this far after winning the Big 12 in 2022 would be a major fall, but there are some key pieces no longer there.

Holiday Bowl
Projected matchup
: NC State vs. Utah

Liberty Bowl
Projected matchup
: Oklahoma State vs. Missouri

Bowl organizers and participating schools would allow this one to happen, we hope. Missouri owns a 29-24 all-time advantage in this battle of two former Big 12 rivals, but Oklahoma State won the last meeting in 2018 (Liberty Bowl).

Peeking at the Cowboys' schedule, it wouldn't be all that surprising if Mike Gundy has this team vying for a spot in the conference title game entering the final month of the season.

Military Bowl
Projected matchup
: ECU vs. Louisville

Alamo Bowl
Projected matchup
: Oklahoma vs. Oregon

Should the Ducks finish short of the New Year's Six, it comes via close losses to other Pac-12 elites. Consider Oregon in that group as well.

That might be the toughest conference to call when you look at the wealth of quarterback talent out there. Brent Venables hopes to finish with a winning record in Year 2 with the Sooners. If not, the jeers begin and they will be loud.

Texas Bowl
Projected matchup
: Texas A&M vs. TCU

Pinstripe Bowl
Projected matchup
: Duke vs. Cockeye

Sun Bowl
Projected matchup
: Oregon State vs. North Carolina

Can the Tar Heels get back to the ACC Championship Game? It's going to be a stiff challenge, even with Drake Maye returning at quarterback. Clemson and Florida State are top-10 teams, Miami should be better and there are others in the mid-tier who will be fighting for a spot in the top-half of the league standings.

Losing Phil Longo to Wisconsin as Maye's right-hand man (play-caller) and Josh Downs to the NFL is something to watch.

Arizona Bowl
Projected matchup
: Fresno State vs. Buffalo

Cheez-It Bowl
Projected matchup
: Texas Tech vs. Miami

The Hurricanes are going to bounce back as a contender in the ACC during Mario Cristobal's second season — or so the projection goes. Miami recruited in the 2023 cycle and prioritized the transfer portal by filling several needs.

The program has a sizable game early with Texas A&M. The Red Raiders won eight games last fall, including four straight to end 2022 as one of the Big 12's hottest teams.

Duke's Mayo Bowl
Projected matchup
: Pittsburgh vs. Illinois

Gaytor Bowl
Projected matchup
: Arkansas vs. Florida State

Surprised to see the Seminoles outside of the New Year's Six? Don't be. There are always teams inside the preseason top 10 which don't quite meet lofty expectations and Florida State is one of those squads for me.

Three projected losses for Mike Norvell's team come against LSU, at Clemson and a split against Duke and Pittsburgh (on the road).

Music City Bowl
Projected matchup
: Ole Miss vs. Maryland

ReliaQuest Bowl
Projected matchup
: South Carolina vs. Minnesota

Expect a handful of SEC teams to finish 7-5 in a top-heavy conference, which leaves the Gamecocks heading back to Florida for bowl season for the second-consecutive season.

South Carolina lobbied against Tampa last year, but will not get to be too choosy next time around given the allowances made between bowl committees for the 2022 season's Gamecocks-Fighting Irish matchup.

Citrus Bowl
Projected matchup
: Tennessee vs. Wisconsin

Orlando gets first pick of SEC teams once the New Year's Six is finalized and since the Vols are going to finish second in the East behind Georgia, again this is a projection, Tennessee goes to the Citrus.

Steve Spurrier infamously said, "you can't spell Citrus without UT" and ironically, the Vols haven't played here since the end of the 2001 season against Michigan.

FIESTA BOWL​

11760039.png
(Photo: Getty)

Projected matchup: Notre Dame vs. Washington

Notre Dame is familiar with the Fiesta Bowl. In fact, it seems like every time the Fighting Irish play in a "big" bowl game, this is where they're sent. Washington, as a 10-win team in the Pac-12, gets to the New Year's Six in 2023 thanks to Michael Penix Jr.'s Heisman-caliber campaign.

This potential matchup of top 10s would be an interesting watch.

New Notre Dame quarterback Sam Hartman's final game in front of NFL scouts would give this one some extra meaning for the Wake Forest transfer.

COTTON BOWL​

11760041.png

Projected matchup: LSU vs. USC

Back to the Cotton for USC, this time as Pac-12 champions? It's a possibility. And if the Trojans can get through a treacherous slate unbeaten, they play in the conference title game with a playoff berth on the line.

Another potential double digit-win season for LSU is coming for Brian Kelly in Year 2, but not putting this team in the playoff just yet as the SEC champion.

If the Tigers are able to get to Atlanta 12-0, however, they can get in the final four even with a loss to projected SEC champion Georgia.

ORANGE BOWL​

11760038.png

Projected matchup: Clemson vs. Penn State

Florida State seems to be the preseason frontrunner in the ACC this spring, which is more than enough bulletin board material for Dabo Swinney.

The Tigers come off another conference championship under his guidance and now have a difference-maker at quarterback who develops under new offensive coordinator Garrett Riley.

A lot has to go right for Clemson to get back to the New Year's Six in 2023, but this program's been too consistent to play second fiddle to the Seminoles right now.

Penn State's two biggest games are Michigan and Ohio State. A split against that pair could get the Nittany Lions closer to the playoff.

PEACH BOWL​

11759671.png

Projected matchup: Alabama vs. Tulane
Going to go ahead and apologize to Alabama fans in May. The Crimson Tide could fail to get to the playoff, again, thanks to two regular-season losses. Their reward? A possible matchup with the Group of Five champion. We're thinking Tulane or Boise State in this spot.

Michael Pratt's back for the Green Wave, but that team did lose several key pieces from last year's historical run under Willie Fritz. Nick Saban's not going to like another postseason game without a title up for grabs, but it is what it is with a quarterback situation defined by too many lingering questions.

CFB PLAYOFF SEMIFINAL (SUGAR BOWL)​

11759667.png

Projected matchup: No. 1 Georgia vs. No. 4 Michigan

This again? The Bulldogs and Wolverines played two years ago down in Miami and Georgia steamrolled Jim Harbaugh's team. This marks Michigan's third-straight trip to the playoff and the Wolverines have not won a game yet. Georgia goes for a three-peat, unprecedented in the modern era.

The more things change, the more they stay the same and we're expecting the Bulldogs to get back to the final four as the top seed once again. Have you looked at their regular-season slate?

CFB PLAYOFF SEMIFINAL (ROSE BOWL)​

11759666.png

Projected matchup: No. 2 Ohio State vs. No. 3 Texas

With a win at Alabama in Week 2, early-season College Football Playoff buzz will center on Texas. Will the Longhorns handle the pressureif they take out the Crimson Tide? That's the biggest question. Aside from the November showdown with LSU, this is Alabama's most important game and it happens to come early for new offensive coordinator Tommy Rees and a first-year starter at quarterback. Quinn Ewers is a potential 2024 first-round draft pick, so right now, Texas has a clear advantage at the most important position on the field, unlike like last season's game. Meanwhile, second-seeded Ohio State needs no introduction.

CFB PLAYOFF NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP​

11759668.png

Projected matchup: No. 1 Georgia vs. No. 2 Ohio State

Three consecutive national championships for the Bulldogs? Kirby Smart's squad has to beat the Buckeyes again to do it. These two squads are stacked and if Ohio State can get through a challenging Big Ten schedule with one loss or fewer, we expect the selection committee to put the Buckeyes back in a semifinal setting. Carson Beck against Kyle McCord in this quarterback matchup would be intriguing, along with Ryan Day trying to become the next first-time national championship-winning head coach.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds