Welcome to The Platinum Board

We are a Nebraska Husker fan community. Please either login or register for an account

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

2023 Off Season Thread

Nebraska football: Post-spring game-by-game predictions for 2023​

by Connor Muldowney 14 hours ago
Nov 25, 2022; Iowa City, Iowa, USA; Nebraska Cornhuskers quarterback Casey Thompson (11) and defensive back Braxton Clark (11) hold the Heroes Trophy with fans after defeating the Iowa Hawkeyes at Kinnick Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Reese Strickland-USA TODAY Sports

Nov 25, 2022; Cockeye City, Cockeye, USA; Nebraska Cornhuskers quarterback Casey Thompson (11) and defensive back Braxton Clark (11) hold the Heroes Trophy with fans after defeating the Cockeye Cockeyes at Kinnick Stadium. Credit: Reese Strickland-USA TODAY Sports

Nebraska football just wrapped up its first spring under Matt Rhule and the expectations for the upcoming season have adjusted accordingly.

The Cornhuskers are looking to finally make a bowl game and put the nightmare that was the Scott Frost era behind them.

They’ll be facing a fairly favorable schedule, but can they earn a bowl berth and kick the Rhule era off the right way?

Here’s how I see the 2023 season playing out after spring ball.

1 Minnesota Golden Gophers
Aug. 31 Minneapolis, Minn.

This is a tough start to the Matt Rhule era. Minnesota will be one of the favorites to win the Big Ten West, but PJ Fleck and Co. will be breaking in a new quarterback. There’s a chance Nebraska could pull off the early-season upset, but the fact that this is in Minneapolis crushes any hope.

Fleck and the Gophers will pick up a win but it won’t be the blowout that they would have hoped in the home opener. Prediction: Loss (0-1, 0-1 Big Ten)

2 Colorado Buffaloes
Sept. 9 Boulder, Colo.

This one will be circled on a lot of calendars in Week 2. This is an opportunity for two first-year coaches to make a statement and Colorado has the home-field advantage.

Deion Sanders took over the Buffaloes this offseason and his presence was immediately felt with the wave of transfers in and out of the program.

Colorado will basically be fielding a brand new team next year.Nebraska will take advantage of that brand new roster that isn’t used to playing together and pick up a big road win. Prediction: Win (1-1)

Cure Bowl 2021

Rocky Lombardi, Northern Illinois Huskies (Raj Mehta-USA TODAY Sports)

3 NIU Huskies
Sept. 16 Lincoln, Neb.

Northern Illinois is projected to finish somewhere in the middle of the MAC West this season and with Rocky Lombardi back, the Huskies could surprise some people. However, this is Matt Rhule’s first home game and the environment is going to be incredible.

I see Nebraska dog-walking the Huskies (pun intended) and cruising to a 3-4 touchdown victory in Lincoln to piece together the first winning streak of the Rhule era. Prediction: Win (2-1)

4 Louisiana Tech Bulldogs
Sept. 23 Lincoln, Neb.

Louisiana Tech was one of the worst teams in the Group of Five last season, finishing a paltry 3-9 and 2-6 in Conference USA action. The Bulldogs are expected to be slightly better this year, but that may not mean much in the grand scheme of things.

I think Jeff Sims has a big day against the Bulldogs and Nebraska cruises to a third straight victory as fans will be prematurely planning bowl trips. Prediction: Win (3-1)

5 Michigan Wolverines
Sept. 30 Lincoln, Neb.

Michigan returns a lot — and I mean a lot — from its second straight Big Ten title team in 2022. The Wolverines bring back starting quarterback JJ McCarthy and its entire backfield of Donovan Edwards and Blake Corum. The offensive line, too, should be one of the nation’s best again.

Hosting the Wolverines should give Nebraska a fighter’s chance, but I don’t think the Cornhuskers have what it takes to beat the conference’s best team just yet.

This game may be interesting for a half, but that’s it. Prediction: Loss (3-2, 0-2)

IMG_6067.jpeg
Oct 29, 2022; Lincoln, Nebraska, USA; Nebraska Cornhuskers defensive back Quinton Newsome (6) recovers a fumble by Illinois Fighting Illini wide receiver Isaiah Williams (1) during the third quarter at Memorial Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Dylan Widger-USA TODAY Sports

6 Illinois Fighting Illini
Oct. 6 Champaign, Ill.

Illinois is hoping to compete for the Big Ten West crown for a second straight year under Bret Bielema and I like the Illini’s chances, especially with Luke Altmyer at quarterback. He came over from Ole Miss and he should be a nice upgrade at the position.

Chase Brown is gone, however, and Reggie Love III and Josh McCray will try to fill that void, but it won’t be easy.

I can see the Illini struggling a bit early on in this game, but they’ll find their rhythm in the second half and win by 7-10 points. Prediction: Loss (3-3, 0-3)

7 Northwestern Wildcats
Oct. 21 Lincoln, Neb.

Northwestern is one of the bigger mysteries in the Big Ten heading into the season and I think they could surprise like the Wildcats seem to do once every 3-4 years, but there’s just not enough there to believe in that.

Ryan Hilinski is battling it out with Brendan Sullivan at quarterback but the offense was horrid last season, ranking 128th in scoring, 123rd in yards per play, and almost dead-last in turnovers.

I just can’t see the Wildcats going into Lincoln with Nebraska hungry to end their two-game skid and picking up a win.

Nebraska wins this one rather comfortably to earn Matt Rhule his first Big Ten win. Prediction: Win (4-3, 1-3)

IMG_6069.jpeg

8 Purdoodoo Boilermakers
Oct. 28 Lincoln, Neb.

Purdoodoo is another team that went through a lot of major changes this offseason.

The Boilermakers lost head coach Jeff Brohm to his alma mater of Louisville and now they’ll be led by former Illinois defensive coordinator Ryan Walters.

The Boilermakers went from an offensive-minded head coach to a defensive-minded one, so it’ll be interesting to see how that plays out.

This is a good chance for Nebraska to conjure up some more momentum heading into the final month of the regular season. Prediction: Win (5-3, 2-3)

https%3A%2F%2Fsaturdayblitz.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2Fimagn-images%2F2017%2F07%2F16828691-scaled.jpeg

9 Michigan State Spartans
Nov. 4 East Lansing, Mich.

Michigan State has lost a key player this offseason in Keon Coleman as well as two-year starting quarterback Payton Thorne.

The transfer portal was not kind in that regard, but Michigan State still added talent. The portal taketh, but it also giveth.

One of those portal additions is running back Nathan Carter and I can see him having a big season and potentially putting the team on his back in a couple of games. This will be one.

He rushes for 250 yards and two scores and Michigan State sneaks away with a seven-point victory. Prediction: Loss (5-4, 2-4)

10 Maryland Terrapins
Nov. 11 Lincoln, Neb.

There’s a bowl game on the line in the final three weeks of the regular season for Nebraska and there are a couple of very winnable games left on the schedule, starting with Maryland at home.

Many believe that this is the year that Mike Locksley and Co. finally break through and surprise some people. I’m just not buying the hype.

Taulia Tagovailoa is back, but he’s prone to mistakes, especially on the road in a hostile November atmosphere. I can see him throwing a couple of critical interceptions in this one to secure a Nebraska win and bowl berth. Prediction: Win (6-4, 3-4)

11 Wisconsin Badgers
Nov. 18 Madison, Wisc.

Fresh off a bowl-clinching win, Nebraska will be feeling itself heading into a road game against Wisconsin. The Badgers will be fighting for first place in the Big Ten West under Luke #2ndChoice while Nebraska is just trying to improve its bowl placement.

In the end, the home team wins as Wisconsin will move into a first-place tie in the Big Ten West and it’ll be up to Nebraska to break that in the final week against the other division contender. Prediction: Loss (6-5, 3-5)

12 Cockeye Cockeyes
Nov. 24 Lincoln, Neb.

Nebraska stands between Cockeye and a Big Ten title game berth. This rivalry game is going to have a little something extra on the line and that should be even more motivation for the Cornhuskers. Ruining the Cockeyes’ Big Ten title berth bid would be fantastic.

But that won’t happen.

Cade McNamara and the new-look Cockeye offense will be one of the most improved teams in the conference this year and they’ll go into Lincoln and pick up a big win over the rival Cornhuskers.

Prediction: Loss (6-6, 3-6)

Last edited:

Nebraska football: Post-spring game-by-game predictions for 2023​

by Connor Muldowney 14 hours ago
Nov 25, 2022; Cockeye City, Cockeye, USA; Nebraska Cornhuskers quarterback Casey Thompson (11) and defensive back Braxton Clark (11) hold the Heroes Trophy with fans after defeating the Cockeye Cockeyes at Kinnick Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Reese Strickland-USA TODAY Sports

Nov 25, 2022; Cockeye City, Cockeye, USA; Nebraska Cornhuskers quarterback Casey Thompson (11) and defensive back Braxton Clark (11) hold the Heroes Trophy with fans after defeating the Cockeye Cockeyes at Kinnick Stadium. Credit: Reese Strickland-USA TODAY Sports

Nebraska football just wrapped up its first spring under Matt Rhule and the expectations for the upcoming season have adjusted accordingly.

The Cornhuskers are looking to finally make a bowl game and put the nightmare that was the Scott Frost era behind them.

They’ll be facing a fairly favorable schedule, but can they earn a bowl berth and kick the Rhule era off the right way?

Here’s how I see the 2023 season playing out after spring ball.

1 Minnesota Golden Gophers
Aug. 31 Minneapolis, Minn.

This is a tough start to the Matt Rhule era. Minnesota will be one of the favorites to win the Big Ten West, but PJ Fleck and Co. will be breaking in a new quarterback. There’s a chance Nebraska could pull off the early-season upset, but the fact that this is in Minneapolis crushes any hope.

Fleck and the Gophers will pick up a win but it won’t be the blowout that they would have hoped in the home opener.

Prediction: Loss (0-1, 0-1 Big Ten)

2 Colorado Buffaloes
Sept. 9 Boulder, Colo.

This one will be circled on a lot of calendars in Week 2. This is an opportunity for two first-year coaches to make a statement and Colorado has the home-field advantage.

Deion Sanders took over the Buffaloes this offseason and his presence was immediately felt with the wave of transfers in and out of the program.

Colorado will basically be fielding a brand new team next year.Nebraska will take advantage of that brand new roster that isn’t used to playing together and pick up a big road win. Prediction: Win (1-1)

Cure Bowl 2021

Rocky Lombardi, Northern Illinois Huskies (Raj Mehta-USA TODAY Sports)

3 NIU Huskies
Sept. 16 Lincoln, Neb.

Northern Illinois is projected to finish somewhere in the middle of the MAC West this season and with Rocky Lombardi back, the Huskies could surprise some people. However, this is Matt Rhule’s first home game and the environment is going to be incredible.

I see Nebraska dog-walking the Huskies (pun intended) and cruising to a 3-4 touchdown victory in Lincoln to piece together the first winning streak of the Rhule era. Prediction: Win (2-1)

4 Louisiana Tech Bulldogs
Sept. 23 Lincoln, Neb.

Louisiana Tech was one of the worst teams in the Group of Five last season, finishing a paltry 3-9 and 2-6 in Conference USA action. The Bulldogs are expected to be slightly better this year, but that may not mean much in the grand scheme of things.

I think Jeff Sims has a big day against the Bulldogs and Nebraska cruises to a third straight victory as fans will be prematurely planning bowl trips. Prediction: Win (3-1)

5 Michigan Wolverines
Sept. 30 Lincoln, Neb.

Michigan returns a lot — and I mean a lot — from its second straight Big Ten title team in 2022. The Wolverines bring back starting quarterback JJ McCarthy and its entire backfield of Donovan Edwards and Blake Corum. The offensive line, too, should be one of the nation’s best again.

Hosting the Wolverines should give Nebraska a fighter’s chance, but I don’t think the Cornhuskers have what it takes to beat the conference’s best team just yet.

This game may be interesting for a half, but that’s it. Prediction: Loss (3-2, 0-2)

View attachment 23270
Oct 29, 2022; Lincoln, Nebraska, USA; Nebraska Cornhuskers defensive back Quinton Newsome (6) recovers a fumble by Illinois Fighting Illini wide receiver Isaiah Williams (1) during the third quarter at Memorial Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Dylan Widger-USA TODAY Sports

6 Illinois Fighting Illini
Oct. 6 Champaign, Ill.

Illinois is hoping to compete for the Big Ten West crown for a second straight year under Bret Bielema and I like the Illini’s chances, especially with Luke Altmyer at quarterback. He came over from Ole Miss and he should be a nice upgrade at the position.

Chase Brown is gone, however, and Reggie Love III and Josh McCray will try to fill that void, but it won’t be easy.

I can see the Illini struggling a bit early on in this game, but they’ll find their rhythm in the second half and win by 7-10 points. Prediction: Loss (3-3, 0-3)
7 Northwestern Wildcats
Oct. 21 Lincoln, Neb.

Northwestern is one of the bigger mysteries in the Big Ten heading into the season and I think they could surprise like the Wildcats seem to do once every 3-4 years, but there’s just not enough there to believe in that.

Ryan Hilinski is battling it out with Brendan Sullivan at quarterback but the offense was horrid last season, ranking 128th in scoring, 123rd in yards per play, and almost dead-last in turnovers.

I just can’t see the Wildcats going into Lincoln with Nebraska hungry to end their two-game skid and picking up a win.

Nebraska wins this one rather comfortably to earn Matt Rhule his first Big Ten win. Prediction: Win (4-3, 1-3)

View attachment 23271
8 Purdoodoo Boilermakers
Oct. 28 Lincoln, Neb.

Purdoodoo is another team that went through a lot of major changes this offseason.

The Boilermakers lost head coach Jeff Brohm to his alma mater of Louisville and now they’ll be led by former Illinois defensive coordinator Ryan Walters.

The Boilermakers went from an offensive-minded head coach to a defensive-minded one, so it’ll be interesting to see how that plays out.

This is a good chance for Nebraska to conjure up some more momentum heading into the final month of the regular season. Prediction: Win (5-3, 2-3)

https%3A%2F%2Fsaturdayblitz.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2Fimagn-images%2F2017%2F07%2F16828691-scaled.jpeg

9 Michigan State Spartans
Nov. 4 East Lansing, Mich.

Michigan State has lost a key player this offseason in Keon Coleman as well as two-year starting quarterback Payton Thorne.

The transfer portal was not kind in that regard, but Michigan State still added talent. The portal taketh, but it also giveth.

One of those portal additions is running back Nathan Carter and I can see him having a big season and potentially putting the team on his back in a couple of games. This will be one.

He rushes for 250 yards and two scores and Michigan State sneaks away with a seven-point victory. Prediction: Loss (5-4, 2-4)

10 Maryland Terrapins
Nov. 11 Lincoln, Neb.

There’s a bowl game on the line in the final three weeks of the regular season for Nebraska and there are a couple of very winnable games left on the schedule, starting with Maryland at home.

Many believe that this is the year that Mike Locksley and Co. finally break through and surprise some people. I’m just not buying the hype.

Taulia Tagovailoa is back, but he’s prone to mistakes, especially on the road in a hostile November atmosphere. I can see him throwing a couple of critical interceptions in this one to secure a Nebraska win and bowl berth. Prediction: Win (6-4, 3-4)

11 Wisconsin Badgers
Nov. 18 Madison, Wisc.

Fresh off a bowl-clinching win, Nebraska will be feeling itself heading into a road game against Wisconsin. The Badgers will be fighting for first place in the Big Ten West under Luke #2ndChoice while Nebraska is just trying to improve its bowl placement.

In the end, the home team wins as Wisconsin will move into a first-place tie in the Big Ten West and it’ll be up to Nebraska to break that in the final week against the other division contender.

Prediction: Loss (6-5, 3-5)

12 Cockeye Cockeyes
Nov. 24 Lincoln, Neb.

Nebraska stands between Cockeye and a Big Ten title game berth. This rivalry game is going to have a little something extra on the line and that should be even more motivation for the Cornhuskers. Ruining the Cockeyes’ Big Ten title berth bid would be fantastic.

But that won’t happen.

Cade McNamara and the new-look Cockeye offense will be one of the most improved teams in the conference this year and they’ll go into Lincoln and pick up a big win over the rival Cornhuskers.

Prediction: Loss (6-6, 3-6)
Hey, I’d take it.

Theme customization system

You can customize some areas of the forum theme from this menu.

• Wide/Narrow view

You can control a structure that you can use to use your theme wide or narrow.

Grid view forum list

You can control the layout of the forum list in a grid or ordinary listing style structure.

Close sidebar

You can get rid of the crowded view in the forum by closing the sidebar.

Fixed sidebar

You can make it more useful and easier to access by pinning the sidebar.

• Color combinations cannot be used

Color combinations are not available to you, this area may be restricted by administrators. Please contact the administrator for more information.

Color gradient backgrounds
Back