Welcome to The Platinum Board

We are a Nebraska Husker fan community. Please either login or register for an account

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

2013 Ford F150

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
Had a question to see if anyone has experienced the same.

So I have a 2013 F150 5.0 V8. Discovered that my Transmission Range Sensor has gone bad/going bad. Basically, at random times, the light on my dash for PRNDL won't illuminate one of the letters, causing it to basically feel like it's somewhat in neutral, while also being to drive as normal. But the lights on my gear shifter all remain lit up like normal. Then it'll random just kick back into "normal mode" at random as well, with the orange wrench on the dash going on and off when it happens and fixes itself. I've learned this is part of the LEAD Frame, which was an F150 transmission recall about a decade ago. I am unfortunately outside of the recall time frame. It's basically a thing where if one sensor fails, they all end up eventually failing.

Talked to the dealer this afternoon a couple times, repair for the whole deal is about $1800. Repair for the for the sensor alone, with labor, is about $700. Trying to get ahold of another shop that I was referred to to see what might be possible there.

Anyone ever had this issue? Anyone had a whole thing repaired or just individual sensors? Pricing experience?

My shop here at work won't touch transmissions, so I can't do that.

Dont have a Ford, so nope. Never had an issue like that on any car tho either.

We're all driving Computers now.

That sucks. Good luck!

Let me preface this by saying I have zero clue on vehicles.

I have a 2013 Ford F150 but not the V8 it has a V6. Have about 250,000 miles on it.

Every once in a while it will act like it's in neutral when in drive. You can barely accelerate but the engine pretty much revs on it's own and then it feels like slips into drive and it's back to normal. This only happens right when you start driving it, doesn't happen while out on the road or anything. Takes about 20-25 yards and then it's like there isn't a problem.

Took it to a buddy who used to work as a mechanic at a ford dealership. He basically said it's not worth fixing and just to keep driving it. It's not my every day vehicle (son drives it to and from school and around town) so I'm not too concerned with it.

Let me preface this by saying I have zero clue on vehicles.

I have a 2013 Ford F150 but not the V8 it has a V6. Have about 250,000 miles on it.

Every once in a while it will act like it's in neutral when in drive. You can barely accelerate but the engine pretty much revs on it's own and then it feels like slips into drive and it's back to normal. This only happens right when you start driving it, doesn't happen while out on the road or anything. Takes about 20-25 yards and then it's like there isn't a problem.

Took it to a buddy who used to work as a mechanic at a ford dealership. He basically said it's not worth fixing and just to keep driving it. It's not my every day vehicle (son drives it to and from school and around town) so I'm not too concerned with it.
tranny level is good? flushed it out?

What's your VIN I will look it up in the Ford database to see if that recall is still active.

It stranded me at the gas station up the street from my house after work, had to walk home. Took a while before it would start then starting acting up more than it has the last month or two. It needs to go into the dealer. Got my wife’s car for the next couple days until my dad brings in the spare farm truck F150.

Not trying to make any emotional decisions but considering just paying for it all the dealer, unloading it and driving the spare around for a while while we finish the house buying process, or a trade in.

Fun context, lot of people I know drive only Chevy pick ups, talk a lot of shit on Ford…..the ones driving or have had Chevy pick ups for a lifetime never have/had issues. Fun nugget I guess

It stranded me at the gas station up the street from my house after work, had to walk home. Took a while before it would start then starting acting up more than it has the last month or two. It needs to go into the dealer. Got my wife’s car for the next couple days until my dad brings in the spare farm truck F150.

Not trying to make any emotional decisions but considering just paying for it all the dealer, unloading it and driving the spare around for a while while we finish the house buying process, or a trade in.

Fun context, lot of people I know drive only Chevy pick ups, talk a lot of shit on Ford…..the ones driving or have had Chevy pick ups for a lifetime never have/had issues. Fun nugget I guess
they all have problems, usually costs less if you fix something right away.

I wouldn't take an 11 year old vehicle to a dealer. Their labor rate and parts cost will be significantly higher than an independent shop.

It is a shitty job, ircc, the valve body needs to be removed to install a new sensor.

I wouldn't take an 11 year old vehicle to a dealer. Their labor rate and parts cost will be significantly higher than an independent shop.

It is a shitty job, ircc, the valve body needs to be removed to install a new sensor.
Right, I'm going to make a few calls today and see what I can find. Watched a 20 minute video on it last night and it's not a hard job it's just everything that needs to be gotten into has to be dug out.

I don't know, anyone I've known that drives pickups long term always says to go Chevy, and Fords suck. I've really only driven Ford for a good portion of the last 15 years, and honestly both of my major repairs that have needed done have been with my Fords. Maybe it's time to say fuck Ford and go to Chevy.

Just talked to Certified Transmission and she quoted me $1800 as well. Said they do a million of them and only a few have come back poorly. Said mine is in a bad state if it left me stranded.

Just talked to Certified Transmission and she quoted me $1800 as well. Said they do a million of them and only a few have come back poorly. Said mine is in a bad state if it left me stranded.

Seems reasonable to me. Shit happens and you have had the truck for many years.

Seems reasonable to me. Shit happens and you have had the truck for many years.
I've actually only had it for about a year and 3/4 lol but yes it's supposed to be my decade+ dad/family truck. Had to replace a starter a few months ago but this is the only real issue I've had in almost 2 years.

Right, I'm going to make a few calls today and see what I can find. Watched a 20 minute video on it last night and it's not a hard job it's just everything that needs to be gotten into has to be dug out.

I don't know, anyone I've known that drives pickups long term always says to go Chevy, and Fords suck. I've really only driven Ford for a good portion of the last 15 years, and honestly both of my major repairs that have needed done have been with my Fords. Maybe it's time to say fuck Ford and go to Chevy.
I grew up a die hard Ford fan. When it was time to buy myself a decent (for me) half ton, I found a good deal on a 2010 Silverado with the 5.3. The thing already had almost 100k miles when I got it but it was in really decent shape. I shit you not, 10 yrs of ownership and another 170k miles, and I've put less than $700 of mechanical repairs into it. I've been lucky (lol) and got both box sides replaced by insurance due to damage so don't have the typical rusted Chevy fenders. Man I've hammered on that thing. Redline, 10,000 mile oil changes, pulling machinery etc. Somehow it still doesn't miss a beat. I'd still drive it across the country.

I grew up a die hard Ford fan. When it was time to buy myself a decent (for me) half ton, I found a good deal on a 2010 Silverado with the 5.3. The thing already had almost 100k miles when I got it but it was in really decent shape. I shit you not, 10 yrs of ownership and another 170k miles, and I've put less than $700 of mechanical repairs into it. I've been lucky (lol) and got both box sides replaced by insurance due to damage so don't have the typical rusted Chevy fenders. Man I've hammered on that thing. Redline, 10,000 mile oil changes, pulling machinery etc. Somehow it still doesn't miss a beat. I'd still drive it across the country.
when you get a good one never ever get rid of it

Theme customization system

You can customize some areas of the forum theme from this menu.

• Wide/Narrow view

You can control a structure that you can use to use your theme wide or narrow.

Grid view forum list

You can control the layout of the forum list in a grid or ordinary listing style structure.

Close sidebar

You can get rid of the crowded view in the forum by closing the sidebar.

Fixed sidebar

You can make it more useful and easier to access by pinning the sidebar.

• Color combinations cannot be used

Color combinations are not available to you, this area may be restricted by administrators. Please contact the administrator for more information.

Color gradient backgrounds
Back