Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

1890 “Behind The Scenes” (1 Viewer)

Huskerzz9457

Offensive Lineman
tPB OG
Surprised no golden tee
Matty D and the Pee'd brothers fired up the forklift to get it out before the recording started

truck forklift GIF

HCFord1

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
tPB OG
Not to defend Matt the Catch, but I do sort of get why they need the office space. They’re hosting recruits on visits and giving them offers for $$. They can’t look like some rinky dink operation taking meetings at a Panera.
Is this not the place that our recruits/transfer players go to legally hear about the bags of money we're offering? First impressions matter and a flashy office space says, loud and clearly, "we have money to spend."
Guys that can be done virtually anywhere.

The problem is when you meet them in that flashy office space that says “we have money to spend” and then they offer you 2/3 of what every big school is offering… suddenly the office environment doesn’t matter so much anymore.

herbsinator

Running Back
Elite Member
Guys that can be done virtually anywhere.

The problem is when you meet them in that flashy office space that says “we have money to spend” and then they offer you 2/3 of what every big school is offering… suddenly the office environment doesn’t matter so much anymore.
Who says we’re offering 2/3rds?

trueluk

Bench Warmer
I thought 1890 was not tax exempt?
That's right. Donations aren't tax deductible.

If anyone is interested in helping to fund Husker athletes via tax-deductible donations, it seems one could create a non-profit, say Huskers Harvesting Hope, that is specifically designed to connect Husker athletes with food drives, hospital visits, etc. I know the athletes already do all that stuff, but if they do it through an event hosted by a non-profit, one that has used the athlete's appearance to raise funds/awareness etc, then the non-profit could pay market rate for athletes per appearance and also for using their name and pictures on marketing material for the event. Create a few of these types of non-profits and our big donors can donate directly to those non-profits and use it as a tax write-off. Of course, as a non-profit some of the donation will go to pay salaries, expenses for events, etc, (so 100% isn't directed at the athletes, but it should be able to raise a lot more money because the donations are tax deductible).

Also, since I'm on the subject:

1890, or another collective (anyone want to start one?), needs to sell actual Nebraska-licensed merch instead of crap plastered with 1890. I'll buy a Huskers hat, shirts, jackets, and all kinds of other swag that says Nebraska Huskers on it. The 1890 shop is filled with a whole bunch of "1890 Nebraska"-labeled merch. I want real Huskers shit. I don't care if I have to pay a little extra for it if I know that money is going to athletes. They should be selling posters, framed prints, calendars, etc. with a percentage of the proceeds going to the athletes on the merch. $25 calendar with $5 to 1890, and $1 to each athlete for each month, and $8 in cost or whatever. I realize $1 to an athlete isn't much, but I imagine it's quite easy to sell a few thousand wall calendars if they have current athletes on them instead of previous players.

Also, get me some alumni merch. Where is the option to buy an autographed Suh jersey or football? Have a couple auctions per year if you need to, but get some stuff for sale that is more of a collectible item that I can display than stuff that says 1890 on it.

While I'm absolutely disgusted by that Busch idea for paying athletes during the game like Only Fan donations or Twitch feeds but more Black Mirror-ish, it's something that would get big-time recruits and someone is going to start doing it.

COYS

Linebacker
All of their replies sound automated
Yep, if you ever worked in customer service it’s like they have a group of automated responses you click on based off the content of the question.

Only exception, “hey Matt, remember breaking the HS receiving record against my school Louisville”. Matty D couldn’t wait to tee that one up.

Huskerzz9457

Offensive Lineman
tPB OG
Yep, if you ever worked in customer service it’s like they have a group of automated responses you click on based off the content of the question.

Only exception, “hey Matt, remember breaking the HS receiving record against my school Louisville”. Matty D couldn’t wait to tee that one up.
Yes. Stay tuned. Click the link here.

That was horrendous and told nothing

MtnHusker

Heisman Winner
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG
So I read through the 1890 Question session. Boy did it look like a bunch of Dean Burner Accounts lobbing in Softballs for questions. Lots of PC sounding canned answers coming from Matty D & Crew.

Were any questions removed by the Mods? Would love to know how many posters were banned or suspended for asking questions deemed inappropriate. Do we have anyone on here that is a Mod on Dean's Site that would know?

Jim14510

GOD MOD
Admin
Elite Member
tPB OG
That's right. Donations aren't tax deductible.

If anyone is interested in helping to fund Husker athletes via tax-deductible donations, it seems one could create a non-profit, say Huskers Harvesting Hope, that is specifically designed to connect Husker athletes with food drives, hospital visits, etc. I know the athletes already do all that stuff, but if they do it through an event hosted by a non-profit, one that has used the athlete's appearance to raise funds/awareness etc, then the non-profit could pay market rate for athletes per appearance and also for using their name and pictures on marketing material for the event. Create a few of these types of non-profits and our big donors can donate directly to those non-profits and use it as a tax write-off. Of course, as a non-profit some of the donation will go to pay salaries, expenses for events, etc, (so 100% isn't directed at the athletes, but it should be able to raise a lot more money because the donations are tax deductible).

Also, since I'm on the subject:

1890, or another collective (anyone want to start one?), needs to sell actual Nebraska-licensed merch instead of crap plastered with 1890. I'll buy a Huskers hat, shirts, jackets, and all kinds of other swag that says Nebraska Huskers on it. The 1890 shop is filled with a whole bunch of "1890 Nebraska"-labeled merch. I want real Huskers shit. I don't care if I have to pay a little extra for it if I know that money is going to athletes. They should be selling posters, framed prints, calendars, etc. with a percentage of the proceeds going to the athletes on the merch. $25 calendar with $5 to 1890, and $1 to each athlete for each month, and $8 in cost or whatever. I realize $1 to an athlete isn't much, but I imagine it's quite easy to sell a few thousand wall calendars if they have current athletes on them instead of previous players.

Also, get me some alumni merch. Where is the option to buy an autographed Suh jersey or football? Have a couple auctions per year if you need to, but get some stuff for sale that is more of a collectible item that I can display than stuff that says 1890 on it.

While I'm absolutely disgusted by that Busch idea for paying athletes during the game like Only Fan donations or Twitch feeds but more Black Mirror-ish, it's something that would get big-time recruits and someone is going to start doing it.
IRS said no.

Boondock_St_Sker

That Dude
Elite Member
IRS said no.
So...1890 is getting a shit ton of credit for the supposed commits of Raiola, McCord...and whoever else. But IIRC a comment in a diff thread mentioned a 'menu' of players and what they will cost and this was NOT associated with 1890?? How is that done outside a collective??

I'd love to see 1890 be great...w/o Davison...I just think that dude is a walking dickhead

Alcaus

Quarterback
Elite Member
tPB OG
So...1890 is getting a shit ton of credit for the supposed commits of Raiola, McCord...and whoever else. But IIRC a comment in a diff thread mentioned a 'menu' of players and what they will cost and this was NOT associated with 1890?? How is that done outside a collective??

I'd love to see 1890 be great...w/o Davison...I just think that dude is a walking dickhead
Pains me to say this but the one thing I'll say about Davison is that he's an excellent fundraiser.

Not a terrible guy to have in your NIL operation.

DennyCrane

Bench Warmer
Elite Member
Pains me to say this but the one thing I'll say about Davison is that he's an excellent fundraiser.

Not a terrible guy to have in your NIL operation.
Agreed. I get many people don’t like Matt for various reasons but he can raise money. Don’t just assume he and Frost are tight these days either.

Love or hate Matt/Peed family, they are raising serious money for football. There are a lot of other schools they would kill to have a setup where a family pays all associated costs of running a collective and all donations go to the players.

There are factions, even among rich donors, so take everything with a grain of salt when you hear all the negative stuff about the Peeds/Matt. Joe Selig is legit too. Lucky to have them IMO.

Bootleg11

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
Not to defend Matt the Catch, but I do sort of get why they need the office space. They’re hosting recruits on visits and giving them offers for $$. They can’t look like some rinky dink operation taking meetings at a Panera.
Also Peeds cover all overhead right?

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds