Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

What the SEC is Saying about Nebraska? (1 Viewer)

Texas A&M

• E Rob gone?
  • Rumor in Omaha is he is going to be on Matt Rhule's staff.
  • UN-O has a football team?
  • As with last year, need to do everything we can to keep him. Unless he is being made a DC I hope he would not leave for a lateral move. DL would still be in good shape if Coach Price handled the entire DL but Robinson is an elite coach, our DT play has been very good since Day 1 of him joining the staff.
  • Would hate to see him go, but much like we are likely to shell out a handsome paycheck for a new OC, I'm sure Nebraska would do the same for Robinson given that they're clearing house and trying to start fresh.
  • SIAP: Matt Rhule to Nebraska
  • Guess that Rhule's out Kiffin going to Nebraska...
  • Would think this is a pretty good hire for Nebraska.
  • Would love to see him in the Big 10 and not in the SEC.
  • Huh. He didn't stay in the pros long. But good choice for the cornhuskers.
  • His GM failed to get him a QB at Carolina. Great hire imo. Not sure anyone can succeed in Nebraska these days, but if anyone can it's Rhule.
  • Sure he will Joel Osteen his way into a good season or two wherever he goes and then will leave them in the middle of the night for the next NFL team that comes calling and leave their program worse than he found it.
  • I'd like Nebraska to rebound. It's gotten to the point where I feel sorry for them.
  • He will do as well as Frost. Nebraska is never coming back. Such a crappy place and now that you have more choices of schools to play big boy football, its prestige is long gone.
  • He is a good hire for someone like Nebraska. He can evaluate and develop. That's what they need. NIL going to suck for him. Bigger programs can use his team like a AAA squad.
  • The days of domination may be over, but any school can be good with the right coach & keep them with enough money, which they have.
  • I'd rather have Nebraska in the top 25 than most of the teams currently there.
  • I think Matt is a GOOD hire for Nebraska. They will play physical sound football under him. Doesn't effect us.
  • I wouldn't be so sure NIL sucking. All the makings for successful NIL are there. A rabid fan base spends serious $ on gear and are typically top 20 in sales. They'll buy merch! When recruits on on official visits the fans address them by name. Some of the women's volleyball players are already leading the nation in NIL for their sport.
  • Don't underestimate Nebraska's ability to put together and execute an effective NIL strategy.
  • I'm hearing that Nebraska will be going after Elijah Robinson on our staff. Excellent recruiter
  • Robinson has a history with Rhule as he was on staff at Temple and then 1 year at Baylor before joining Ag staff.
  • Great hire for Nebraska actually. He made temple football respectable in a city like Philadelphia where high school football is way different than here. He turned Baylor around pretty quickly and Nebraska has more money that those schools put together. Time will tell but I think that's a solid hire for them.
  • Looks like Rhule also taking USCe OC...Satterfield. The fans were upset w that guy all year long until they got hot at the end of the season.

Auburn

• Matt Rhule hired by Nebraska
  • I'm seeing Nebraska, Wisconsin, Georgia tech all making or closing in on solid coaching candidates smoothly and on time to capitalize on transfers and set up their programs.
  • My disappointment is a dumpster fire Nebraska made a huge hire and we haven’t
  • He fits that school and should do good things. Of course, Bo Pelini went 67-27 in 8 years and 7 bowl appearances and they fired him. Frank Solich was even better than that and got fired.
  • Osborne deserves to be on the Mt. Rushmore of college coaches. Nebraska has zero recruiting grounds and he dominated there for 20 years.
  • How does he fit there? I wonder if Auburn ever looked his way..
  • Looks like we struck out with 2 of our 5 top candidates. My guess that Auburn is going to screw this up looks more legit by the day...
  • If he can resurrect that program, then he can turn water into wine. All good wishes to him
  • Nebraska figured out 'roids before anyone else did. I'll never forget Rimington and Steinkuler just wrecking double teams and driving them 5-10 yards off the ball with impunity.

Florida

• Nebraska replaced Frost with Matt Rhule
  • Napier to hire Frost as OC please
  • He’ll be HC in sun belt imo, when one of those guys gets elevated, Impressive conference.
  • Turns out every coach from that cycle was bad LOL. I think Dan was probably the best of the bunch in the end, which is pretty sad.
  • Could see Dan Mullen going there. He's weird enough to fit in at Nebraska.
  • Thought Mullen and Frost were fits at their opposite schools the first time around. Mullen would be able to do well in a bad B1G west that’s more about scheming on Saturdays than it is having to recruit top classes nationally like the SEC.
  • I know Tom Osborne was great coach, but damn. Was he really extraordinary to the point where no other coach could compete for titles at NE?
  • Dan Mullen will NEVER return to CFB. His only coaching fits are Saban rehab analyst, if he doesn't have to recruit, AND NFL OC.
  • As we all know: The N in Nebraska stands for kNowledge!
  • Frosty going to be an off the field analyst for a year, get promoted to Bama OC and then be named head coach of FAU
  • Nebraska should call Petrino
  • Eric Bieniemy and Colorado need each other.
  • Wonder if Cockeye will ask Ferentz to "step down" soon
  • Shocked Nebraska got Rhule, but good for them.
  • Really, no such thing as an overpay or going "too long" if you get the right guy. And Rhule's a proven program builder during a time there really aren't a lot of them.
  • Did Nebraska just drop the news on gameday? Pretty badass if so.
  • Rhule and Freeze would both be significant upgrades over the last 2 coaches those schools would have.
  • Rhule is a great pull for Nebraska, that could get them back on the radar as a legit program again.
  • Big 10 West picking up. Some good coaches seeing opportunity and stability there.
  • I’m calling it. Mullen to Cincy.
  • Can we hire Collins as DC and one of Frost / Scott as OC?
  • Rumor Frost might be a candidate for Dilly Dilly as OC at ASU.
  • SCOC going to Nebraska
  • They’ve been wanting to get rid of him all year, he puts up two good games in a row and he bolts. Love to see it.
  • Outside of Rhule, Dillingham, and #2ndChoice (2 of the 3 were easy to peg and rumored for weeks), I feel like this has been the slowest moving silly season in coaching in awhile.

Kentucky

• Matt Rhule
  • If Nebraska gets Matt rhule, they never had serious interest in stoops other than someone way down a list.
  • Even if they had serious interest in Stoops he didn’t have any interest in them.
  • Just read an article Nebraska is after #2ndChoice and their might be mutual interest.
  • Rhule may be the best, Auburn may regret not being able to secure him.
  • The BIG10 TV money sure helps
  • Better jobs out there than Nebraska. Even if you have to wait a year.
  • His contract was different and had some clauses that had to be worked out before he took a college job. I don't know those details but it wasn't a regular contract.
  • Officially Official … Matt Rhule now the Head Coach at the University of Nebraska
  • Want to see the contract details on this one.
  • Plus Neb paying Frosty $15M
  • Best hire Nebraska could make. If they don’t make noise here, I’d guess they’re officially dead for good.

South Carolina

• Can someone help me understand this Satt situation?
  • I’m still not following how he ended up the OC at Nebraska.
  • Matt Rhule
  • Very happy he’s going to Nebraska.
  • Matt Rhule contract - yikes
  • Also, probably has a mega buyout which puts Nebraska in a bad spot for awhile should he not work out.
  • They are desperate to become relevant again.
  • Feel like that's going to end poorly.
  • I wouldn’t even want him as my head coach much less pay him all that money .
  • Don’t let Rhules failure as an NFL coach overshadow his success in NCAA. He’s pretty good. With that said… still overpaid in that contract
  • That’s crazy money for someone who isn’t a sure thing. And Rhule isn’t.
  • He's going to get time and Nebraska isn't nearly as far away from being relevant as their record indicates, Frost was god awful in one score games to the point where it's pretty mind boggling. I get the contract, Rhule has won everywhere at the college level including rebuild jobs.
  • Big Ten has a ton of money. It’s a lot to many schools, but not them.
  • 90% of his contract is guaranteed. I believe the contract is for $72 million, so $64.8 million is guaranteed. Yikes.
  • Rhule also is drawing $800K a month for 5-6 more years from Panthers….
  • Coaches can thank Mel Tucker, average coach that MSU thought would go to LSU and gave him a stupid deal.
  • And he also picked Satterfield to be his OC. I don’t think a pro-style offense isn’t going to work at Nebraska. They’re not going to get the offensive talent to pull it off.
  • Then they should spend that on players. Rhule isn't worth that.
  • Regardless of what you think of Satt, his hiring is AT BEST very risky.
  • CFB coach salaries just keep going up as the sport keeps making more money. To say he’s “not worth it” is to disregard how the sport is changing. Will he work out? I don’t know. But get used to guys making more and more
  • I think too many on here either are jaded because of how bad he was with the Panthers or just see his overall college record without context.
  • Worst OC in America, good riddance.
  • Plenty of OCs who are much, much worse.
  • Look at Cockeye.

Mississippi State

• Lady Dawgs down 29-26 to Nebraska halftime.
  • Lady Dawgs headed to OT with Nebraska 57-57. dawgs trailed whole game till the end.
  • Nebraska any good?
  • Matt Rhule to Nebraska
  • He is finalizing a deal nebraska as we speak
  • Good move by Nebraska. Good for college football also.
  • Take em a couple years, but I think he will be successful. I thought frost would be too though
  • Since he is off the board any guesses on Aubbie search. One name out of the blue would be Todd Monken. If Aubbie doesn't name a coach before the SEC Championship Maybe Aubbie might be poaching the UGA staff.
  • With a 40Mil buyout in his pocket from the Panthers I would have thought he would hold out for a better job. That is a good hire for them.
  • Nebraska killed this hire.
  • Everybody fails at Nebraska. I'm calling my shot - Rhule will be a failure there. Bump this and mock me if I'm wrong.
  • That's about as good of a hire Nebraska can make
  • Define failure. There is a low bar to be a success right now. Nebraska hasn't won more than 5 games since 2017. They are, imo, in the weaker of the two divisions in the Big 10.
  • Perfect hire. I don't know if it will work out, but it's the perfect fit.
  • The big 10 west is the worst division in power 5 football currently.
  • Matt Rhule is going to kill it at Nebraska
  • He will play in a very weak division with an easy path to the big 10 title game every year.
  • Given their deep pockets and NIL potential he could be very very dangerous in certain years
  • Well, he is off the OM HC short list now. lol
  • The Big 10 is abandoning divisions in 2024 like the SEC presumably is, which will even out the Strength of Schedule across the conference.

Alabama

• NEBRASKA- Matt Rhule
  • Nebraska hires Matt Rhule as next HC
  • Let’s see if they get this one right.
  • Excellent hire. He will win. I guess it remains to be seen if it'll be enough for that fan base
  • Tough one to recruit for... and the fans still think they should be winning titles annually.
  • Nebraska needs to be a monster in the transfer portal. They have amazing NIL opportunities
  • Rhule seemed excited to be in Purga…. Ummm Lincoln, Nebraska.
  • Great hire by Nebraska!
  • Home run hire. RTR
  • That fanbase is beyond reproach. All they have to do is beat Ohio St. or Michigan to get to the top. Having said that, I still don't know the Big Ten divisional structure.
  • That's an outstanding hire. Matt Rhule would be a good fit in Tuscaloosa. I really believe that. But I am in zero hurry to see such. Roll Saban
  • If Rhule can’t win at Nebraska (he never beat a ranked team at Baylor but they were in the basement before he arrived), Nebraska might want to think about resetting program expectations.

Tennessee

• Satterfield to Nebraska
  • SC offensive coordinator is making a lateral move to join Matt Ruhle's staff at Nebraska. This serms like a good thing for UT, as it potentially creates upheaval in SC's offensive planning for next year. Considering his offensive hung 63 on us, his leaving has got to be a good thing for us, no?
  • Perhaps a good thing. Although I believe they could've used the old Tecmo Bowl playbook and scored 63 on us that night.
  • I wouldn't read too much into that their offense has been pretty dreadful for most of the year. Of course it does help when you are playing against a defensive unit that is more concerned with it's hurt feelings than winning
  • Marcus Satterfield???....he is an ole Tennessee Tech man. No wonder they scored nine touchdowns.
  • Freddie Kitchens drew up the USCjr gameplan versus UT. So if he gets promoted to OC it actually will be the same guy's offensive scheme as it was when they waxed us. Not saying he can repeat the feat but don't feel like Satterfield being gone to Nebraska is going to make things better - that's inaccurate.
  • guess that shows the Cockies where they stand in the pecking order!
  • He was about to get fired if he didn't leave.
  • I thought he might have saved his job with their performance the last 2 games, but maybe not.
  • He's worked with Rhule at 3 previous stops, so he probably is more comfortable working with him anyway.
  • Dude lost four games with Spencer Rattler as quarterback. The way he played against us, ole Spencer could beat the Philadelphia Eagles with me calling the plays.
  • Anyone on that staff needs to get out while they can. Rattler single-handedly gave them a lifeline in two short weeks. Get out now—will never have a better chance than that.
  • I have a hard time making fun of programs that won their most recent matchup against us.
  • Prior to our game with SC... their fans blamed Satterfield for all their woes and were convinced Beamer would be replacing him with Kendal Briles in the offseason. Their fans are probably rejoicing at this news.
  • Only the Cockies could score 63 points on a Top 10 team and having him leave for Nebraska 9 days later.
  • You really think he was calling the plays the last 2 weeks? They've wanted him gone since October.
  • Not a surprise. Rhule and Satterfield’s relationship dates back to their time at Western Carolina in 2005. Satterfield also worked on Rhule’s staffs at Temple, Baylor and the Carolina Panthers.
  • F*** him. Hope he likes corn.
  • Nebraska is very cornographic.
  • A cornucopia of corn
  • Wisconsin wins the coaching search match, Nebraska loses (in my opinion…if they do well…..he gone).
  • Hopefully Rattler will transfer to Nebraska
  • I like Omaha during baseball season.
  • Plenty of corn there....also, Cockeye has even more corn.

LSU

• Trey Palmer for caught 2nd TD of the day for Nebraska
  • Now the all-time single season pass catcher in Nebraska history.
  • Not trying to knock him and I know they just started throwing the ball in 2004 but the single season record is 1007 yds? Do better Nebraska.
  • It would have been nice to have Brian Kelly coach this kid.
  • Wasn’t Nebraska known for running a wishbone running offense?
  • But couldn’t go shite at LSU!
  • Has anybody heard anything from DeColdest Crawford?
  • Cool I guess?
  • Wasn't he injured early on and is out for the season?
  • He was stuck behind possibly the greatest receiving corps in LSU history and then the wheels came off of the program. He wasn't going to succeed in that situation.
  • He really should have been returning punts in '19 instead of Stingley. The crap was forced for the sake of Stingley's future Heisman campaign
  • Wonder if he’s showing up on time for meetings?
  • Happy for Trey he’s going to get a shot at the NFL. His success shows the disparity in talent between the 2 programs. LSU is truly blessed with the talent in Louisiana and surrounding areas in close proximity.
  • WTF are you talking about? Trey Palmer NEVER had disciplinary problems. Dude stuck with LSU longer than a lot of you have been fans. What a dip shite comment.
  • Good for Trey
  • But that record was easy to do when that program ran the option for 100 years
  • Sometimes the grass is greener on the other side. Happy for him.
  • You a-holes all have a complex to always shite on former players. They are not good enough, they suck, blah blah blah
  • Palmer could very well be our leading WR this year. But he sucks and would not be top 5-6 at LSU is what all you experts say.
  • Give the kid his due, he is balling out this year at Nebraska.. Good on him
  • Trey Palmer is who we are missing on punt and kickoff return. Maybe he will consider coming back to LSU for his senior year but I doubt that. He will probably enter the NFL draft after the season. Had a great year production wise. I'm proud of him.

Georgia

• Carolina OC SATTERFIELD
  • leaving for same position at Nebraska. Maybe Rhule not that smart after all.
  • I don't give a damn as long as it's not Monken. Keep your hands off Monken...
  • Looked pretty good against Tennessee and Clemson
  • They were together at Temple and Baylor. Its not surprising
  • NFL and college are drastically different. Wasn't he Rhule OC when he revived Baylor?
  • Cock fans wanted the guy gone so badly during the season, wonder how they feel about him now, after the two big wins and he is leaving them?
  • Pretty sure Matt Rhule knows how to select an OC....
  • He wasn’t surviving this season and just about all of us have a hard time believing he was the one calling plays against UTjr and Clempson… the game plan and calling was that different
  • Or the 5 start Qb played like one instead of a 2 star
  • This is what happened more than anything.
  • Who the heck was calling it then? Sounds like they already have the new OC
  • At least in Columbia you can drive to the beach. In Nebraska, it's cold, flat, windy, no in state recruits, and it snows. That zero degree weather is fierce!

Tell_Sackett

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
Thanks for assembling these.

It always makes me laugh to see the "Nebraska fan base has unrealistic expectations" comments...

I don't think our expectations have ever been more realistic...at least initially. First step is to prove competence. That's a pretty low bar for an FBS Head Coach.

Tezzer

Fullback
Elite Member
I loathe the SEC, benefited for years by paying kids under the table and boosting their recruiting rankings (BCS system). Now that EVERYONE can pay players, it'll be interesting to see how they legitimize their propped up league.

Ripping Lips

And I ain’t talking about fish
Elite Member
Alabama bans were the most complimentary while the rest suck. Auburn should take a hard look into the mirror and realize they are a bigger dumpster fire than we are.

Black Dean

Dean but also Black
Insider
tPB OG
I’ll never understand some of these comments:

1. Show me the Nebraska fans that are expecting national championships at this point??
2. Nebraska out-recruits half the teams that said it’s impossible to recruit to Nebraska.
💯

Mavsker

Big Ten referee
tPB OG
Auburn: He fits that school and should do good things. Of course, Bo Pelini went 67-27 in 8 years and 7 bowl appearances and they fired him. Frank Solich was even better than that and got fired.

That's rich coming from Auburn

Cavalot

Defensive Lineman
Auburn: He fits that school and should do good things. Of course, Bo Pelini went 67-27 in 8 years and 7 bowl appearances and they fired him. Frank Solich was even better than that and got fired.

That's rich coming from Auburn
They kind of have a point though. Not sure on Auburns history but those firings and hirings set us back 2 decades.

RedSavage

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
They kind of have a point though. Not sure on Auburns history but those firings and hirings set us back 2 decades.
Not necessarily coming at you but the revisionist history of those firings drives me insane. Just because we fucked up who we hired after that doesn't mean we made the wrong choice with those firings. I strongly believe both those firings were still the right choice and that both would've happened eventually anyways.

Cavalot

Defensive Lineman
Not necessarily coming at you but the revisionist history of those firings drives me insane. Just because we fucked up who we hired after that doesn't mean we made the wrong choice with those firings. I strongly believe both those firings were still the right choice and that both would've happened eventually anyways.
Agree to disagree then. Solich's firing or at least the timing was poorly handled. The coaching fraternity is strong, and what NU did with regards to Frank at that time set us back a looongggg ways with regards to coaching interest. We are reaping what we sowed at this moment. Hopefully MR can get it turned around.

Pepe Silvia

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
It's amazing that people can look at what Solich inherited and what he left his successor and think he was anything other than an abysmal failure

RedSavage

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
Agree to disagree then. Solich's firing or at least the timing was poorly handled. The coaching fraternity is strong, and what NU did with regards to Frank at that time set us back a looongggg ways with regards to coaching interest. We are reaping what we sowed at this moment. Hopefully MR can get it turned around.
I can agree that it may have tarnished the view of the job from other coaches but anyone with football knowledge could see that once Osborne's recruits were gone, Solich was nothing. He would've likely made it one more year before being fired if we'd waited, which to me is moot.

nja13

2x All-state FG/PAT holder
Elite Member
I’ll never understand some of these comments:

1. Show me the Nebraska fans that are expecting national championships at this point??
This is just an opinion a lot of fans formed 15 years ago when it was probably true that they've just stuck with.

At Friday's game, I had an Io_a fan about 10 feet away yelling things that were clearly intended for my ear and his big line was about Nebraska fans living in the past. They think that's some sick burn because it emphasizes that we aren't good now, but it is just ridiculous at this point. The last decade has beaten pretty much any arrogance out of Nebraska fans. We are fully away we are not contending for nattys.

And seriously, there wasn't a single thing he could have said that would have wiped the mile-wide grin off my face at that point in the game.

Havoc34

Clit Commander
Elite Member
“Nebraska is very cornographic”

Approve South Park GIF

CornFed Gregger

Offensive Lineman
By NU, u mean Harvey Perlman. The man was behind Solich/Bo & utilized the mob for his own gain. Unrealistic expectations is widespread but CFB loves to act like Nebraska is the only one. Look at this year, Wisconsin fires their coach for “regressing”, Cockeye fans have literally called for Kirk Ferentz’s head for the last 3/4 seasons, & Auburn at one point manufactured a sex scandal to can Harsin while firing every winning coach no matter natties or consistent winning.

We’ve lacked leadership for 20 years & id say even with Tom as AD, he wasn’t looking out for our best interests or ever put his nuts on the line for us.

Cavalot

Defensive Lineman
By NU, u mean Harvey Perlman. The man was behind Solich/Bo & utilized the mob for his own gain. Unrealistic expectations is widespread but CFB loves to act like Nebraska is the only one. Look at this year, Wisconsin fires their coach for “regressing”, Cockeye fans have literally called for Kirk Ferentz’s head for the last 3/4 seasons, & Auburn at one point manufactured a sex scandal to can Harsin while firing every winning coach no matter natties or consistent winning.

We’ve lacked leadership for 20 years & id say even with Tom as AD, he wasn’t looking out for our best interests or ever put his nuts on the line for us.
The key words I used were "at that time" firing a 10 win coach who had been part of the football program for two decades was a poor showing. Nebraska fans were a bunch of spoiled babies at the time and ignorant to the changing tides of football. KU, KSU, and MO were no longer the whipping boys of the conference and parody across the football world was starting to take hold. Nebraska faithful simply couldn't come to terms with that fact. Im not arguing that we hadn't slipped but we were a far cry from where we are now.

That firing and how it was handled put us back two decades. And don't let Pedersen off the hook on that fiasco either. That snake neutered our program and divided an entire fan base in a matter of one season.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds