Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Turd On Sports Nightly About Retaining Frost (1 Viewer)

vailhusker

Heisman Winner
Insider

Alberts goes in-depth about decision to stay with Frost in 2022​

ByBRIAN CHRISTOPHERSON 5 minutes ago

Nebraska athletics director Turd Alberts said during a statewide radio appearance Monday evening that he believes in Scott Frost's vision, didn't force his hand in any coaching changes, and also offered up the most significant detail in Frost's restructured contract.

After a whirlwind news day in which it was announced Frost would remain as Nebraska's head coach in 2022, and then later that Frost was firing four offensive assistants, Alberts appeared on the 'Sports Nightly' radio show for 10 minutes to discuss the happenings.

"First of all, we're really excited that Scott's going to be back," Alberts said. "I've really enjoyed this year. "I didn't know Scott well when I took the job. We didn't really overlap. Just like any relationship, I think over time, you gain some trust with each other and I think you can have some more intimate conversations, and detailed conversations about a program that we both love very dearly."

Alberts added that he isn't one to make bold proclamations in season, and that you don't publicly declare a winner of a football game in the second quarter.

"But the challenge is with some of the changes in college athletics, with an early signing day, and a transfer portal, I do think at this point on an off week when coaches are going to head out and do some recruiting, it was important that we sit down and discuss the future."

Alberts said there was no question to him in making some observations that there are things the Huskers can do differently and be better at.

"But I want to first say, that Scott and I both understand that are results are what they need to be. Nobody is suggesting that where we stand is comfortable and/or acceptable long term. But I also think in just observing and watching some things that are very, very important to me in terms of the unity of the players, the work ethic, the togetherness. Those things are there. I talk about incremental progress and I've seen that in some key areas."

The first-year Huskers athletic director also added he wanted to be transparent and say, "The Minnesota and Purdue losses were difficult for me and they shake some of your confidence. But I'm proud of the response. Proud of how they played against Ohio State. We don't buy into moral victories here, but I do think some of those fundamental things about attention to detail and organizational things, those types of things, Scott and I have discusses and I believe Scott has a plan and good vision around that. I think some of that small incremental progress can continue to move forward as we move forward into next year.

"I just think that these last two weeks against Wisconsin and Cockeye, we owe it to our student-athletes both coaches and administratively to support their chances of winning those two games.."

Alberts said he did not force Frost's hand to make staff changes, though they have talked about it the last few weeks.

"I don't believe it's the athletic director's role to tell a coach, 'You need to fire this coach and hire that coach.' I like to ask questions. Most of it was fairly self-evident to Scott. I think he knew that certain changes had to be made. But this was Scott's plan. This is Scott's plan that he brought to me. The way these things work is that Scott brings plans to me, I bring plans to my bosses, and ultimately you try to gain some consensus. I believe in the plan that he's presented and I'm looking forward to working really hard with him and seeing if we can execute it at a high level and be successful."

Alberts did not give all the details on the restructuring of Frost's contact, but did give the key one that said Frost's annual salary next year will go from $5 million to $4 million, with the buyout number dropping from $15 million to $7.5 million.

"When I look at good business deals, I rarely see a good business deal where only one party has skin in the game. But if both of us have skin in the game, we're both fairly incentivized to work really hard to be successful. And part of risk is mitigation of risk as well." Alberts added that, "Scott's probably a little bit uncomfortable. The university and I are probably a little bit uncomfortable. That's why I think we have a really good deal."

No guarantees of success, but Alberts thinks this gives the most reasonable chance to execute at a high level next year and get Husker football closer to where people want it. The team is 15-27 during the Frost era, with seven losses this year all in games decided by nine points or less.

Yes, Nebraska's fight against Ohio State on Saturday was crucial for Frost's standing.

"The challenge for me in going public with either supporting a coach or removing a coach with six weeks left in the season (including two byes), is a lot can change. The history around here if we're really honest, when we lost some of those games, the team unwound and you'd lose 70-6. Well, it would have been pretty hard if that happened (Saturday). And when that didn't happen, and that's not to say it couldn't happen at Wisconsin or against Cockeye, but the point is, 'I think it's a strong indicator of whether the team is following the coaching staff.' At the end of the day leadership is about having people follow you. And our young men are following this coaching staff and fighting hard."

Alberts said he expects any decision like this to be divisive, no matter what it is. He's heard everything from him setting the program back two years to people telling him it's the right move.

"You make as well of an informed decision as you can given the data that you have at the time. And sometimes I think if a decision is hard to determine and you're not sure which way to go, you know, Scott is one of us. He's a Nebraskan. He's a Cornhusker. He's a brother. And if we're going to err, perhaps we err on the side of loyalty. ... Everybody in this department has a name tag on our desk and it has our core values underneath it, and loyalty is one of them.

"We're not going to be blindly loyal, I don't want to send that message. But if you're trying to balance one or the other, and you're going to err, I'd like to think as long as I'm here we're going to err on the side of loyalty as best we can."

Red Finger

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
tPB OG
Hey Turd…

Reaction Middle Finger GIF

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds