Welcome to the forum 👋, Visitor

To access the forum content and all our services, you must register or log in to the forum. Becoming a member of the forum is completely free.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Today in History - October 7

Alum-Ni

Quarterback
Stats Guy
October 7

1765 - The Stamp Act Congress convened in New York to draw up colonial grievances against England.

1849 - Poet-writer Edgar Allan Poe died at age 40.

1868 - Cornell University was inaugurated in Ithaca, New York.

1879 - Communist revolutionary Leon Trotsky was born Lev Davidovich in Ukraine.

1910 - A major wildfire devastated the northern Minnesota towns of Spooner and Baudette, charring at least 300,000 acres; some 40 people are believed to have died.

1949 - The Republic of East Germany was formed.

1954 - Marian Anderson became the first black singer hired by New York's Metropolitan Opera.

1963 - President John F. Kennedy signed the documents of ratification for a nuclear test ban treaty with Britain and the Soviet Union.

1968 - The Motion Picture Association of America adopted its film-rating system, ranging from "G" for general audiences to "X" for adults only.

1981 - Egypt's parliament named Vice President Hosni Mubarak to succeed the assassinated Anwar Sadat.

1982 - Andrew Lloyd Webber's musical "Cats", the longest-running show in Broadway history with 7,485 performances, opened.

1985 - The Italian cruise ship Achille Lauro was hijacked by Palestinian gunmen in the Mediterranean with more than 400 people on board.

1991 - University of Oklahoma law professor Anita Hill publicly accused Supreme Court nominee Clarence Thomas of making sexually inappropriate comments when she worked for him; Thomas denied Hill's allegations.

1992 - Trade representatives of the United States, Canada and Mexico signed the North American Free Trade Agreement during a ceremony in San Antonio, Texas, in the presence of President George H.W. Bush, Canadian Prime Minister Brian Mulroney and Mexican President Carlos Salinas de Gortari.

1996 - Fox News Channel made its cable television debut.

1998 - Matthew Shepard, a gay student at the University of Wyoming, was beaten, robbed and left tied to a fence post outside Laramie, Wyoming; he died five days later.

2001 - U.S. and British forces launched a bombing campaign against Taliban government and al-Qaeda terrorist camps in Afghanistan.

2003 - California Gov. Gray Davis was recalled and former bodybuilder and actor Arnold Schwarzenegger was elected in his place.

2004 - President George W. Bush and Vice President Dick Cheney conceded that Saddam Hussein had no weapons of mass destruction as they tried to shift the Iraq war debate to a new issue, arguing that Saddam was abusing a U.N. oil-for-food program.

2006 - Anna Politkovskaya, a journalist who had chronicled Russian military abuses against civilians in Chechnya, was found shot to death in Moscow.

2008 - The Federal Reserve announced a radical plan to buy massive amounts of short-term debt, known as commercial paper, to get credit markets moving again.

2015 - President Barack Obama apologized to Doctors Without Borders for the American air attack that killed 42 people at its hospital in Afghanistan, and said the U.S. would examine military procedures to look for better ways to prevent such incidents.

2015 - The Congressional Budget Office estimated that the federal government ran a budget deficit of $435 billion in the just-completed budget year, the smallest shortfall since 2007.

2019 - House Democrats issued subpoenas to Defense Secretary Mark Esper and acting White House budget director Russell Vought as part of the impeachment inquiry of President Donald Trump.

Birthdays
23 - Kira Kosarin (actress)
23 - Nicole Maines (actress)
28 - Mookie Betts (baseball player)
30 - Ayla Kell (actress)
34 - Kaitlyn (professional wrestler)
34 - Amber Stevens (actress)
34 - Holland Roden (actress)
35 - Evan Longoria (baseball player)
38 - Jake McLaughlin (actor)
41 - Shawn Ashmore (actor)
42 - Alesha Dixon (rapper)
42 - Omar Miller (actor)
44 - Taylor Hicks (singer)
45 - Rhino (professional wrestler)
46 - Allison Munn (actress)
50 - Nicole Ari Parker (actress)
53 - Toni Braxton (singer)
58 - Dale Watson (country singer)
59 - Paula Newsome (actress)
61 - Simon Cowell (TV host/personality)
62 - Judy Landers (actress)
62 - Dylan Baker (actor0
65 - Yo-Yo Ma (musician)
65 - Christopher Norris (actor)
69 - John Mellencamp (singer)
71 - Kieran Kane (country singer)
73 - Jill Larson (actress)
78 - Joy Behar (TV host)
89 - Desmond Tutu (South African archbishop / Nobel Peace Prize winner)

=============================================

Today in Sports History - October 7

1905 - Nebraska defeats South Dakota 42-6.

1911 - Nebraska opens the season with a 117-0 win over Kearney State.

1916 - Nebraska opens the season with a 53-0 win over Drake.

1916 - In the most lopsided victory in college football history, Georgia Tech defeated Cumberland University 222-0 in Atlanta.

1922 - Nebraska opens the season with a 66-0 win over South Dakota.

1933 - Nebraska opens the season with a 26-0 win over Texas.

1933 - The New York Giants defeat the Washington Senators in five games to win the World Series.

1939 - Nebraska defeats Minnesota 6-0.

1950 - Nebraska defeats Minnesota 32-26.

1950 - The New York Yankees sweep the Philadelphia Phillies to win the World Series.

1952 - The New York Yankees defeat the Brooklyn Dodgers in seven games to win the World Series.

1956 - Al Carmichael (Green Bay Packers) returned a kickoff 106 yards to set an NFL record.

1961 - Nebraska defeats Kansas State 24-0.

1967 - #7 Nebraska defeats Kansas State 16-14.

1978 - #10 Nebraska defeats #15 Cockeye State 23-0.

1984 - Walter Payton of the Chicago Bears passes Jim Brown as the NFL's career rushing leader.

1989 - #4 Nebraska defeats Kansas State 58-7.

1993 - #7 Nebraska defeats Oklahoma State 27-13.

2000 - #2 Nebraska defeats Cockeye State 49-27.

2001 - Barry Bonds of the San Francisco Giants wrapped up his record-breaking season with his 73rd home run, a record that stands to this day.

2006 - #22 Nebraska defeats Cockeye State 28-14.

2010 - #7 Nebraska defeats Kansas State 48-13.

2012 - Quarterback Drew Brees of the New Orleans Saints breaks Johnny Unitas' NFL record for consecutive games with a TD pass (48) in a 31-24 win over the San Diego Chargers.

2017 - #9 Wisconsin defeats Nebraska 38-17.

2019 - The New York Yankees swept the Minnesota Twins in the ALDS, giving the Twins their 16th consecutive postseason loss, tying the North American major sports record held by the NHL's Chicago Blackhawks.

There's not many times I've felt empathy but that story hit me right in the feels.

What was campus like after that?
Westboro church showed up and picketed. Elton John came to Laramie and gave a free concert at the AA. Constant TV news crews. It was nuts.

Later that same semester a kid jumped off the top floor of Downey Hall where I lived at the time.

welcome to college, lee!

Westboro church showed up and picketed. Elton John came to Laramie and gave a free concert at the AA. Constant TV news crews. It was nuts.

Later that same semester a kid jumped off the top floor of Downey Hall where I lived at the time.

welcome to college, lee!
Did you get to quit going to school and get straight A's?

So you went to Wyoming and live in Dallas. Why are you a Skers fan? From Nebraska?
My family is all from Scottsbluff and surrounding area - Bayard, Alliance, Minatare, etc. My dad went to UNK (Kearney State), mom went to Chadron and UNK. We moved to Wyoming when I was pretty young. Started out at UW after HS, then transferred to UNK after 3 semesters. That's where I met @#HBD, @B1G_10_Tony, etc. Grew up a Nebraska fan from as far back as I can remember, though I do follow UW athletics a little bit.

Did an internship in Lincoln after I graduated from UNK, then got my first job in Houston. Went back to WY for a job for 5 years, then got a job in Dallas.

There it is, my entire life story, you hyenas.

I think it actually happened and then they made a movie.

MV5BY2EwMWZlMDYtMTdlZC00ZDIzLTkzOTAtNjZkNThhNmM5ZDU3XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTM0NTU5Mg@@._V1_.jpg

My family is all from Scottsbluff and surrounding area - Bayard, Alliance, Minatare, etc. My dad went to UNK (Kearney State), mom went to Chadron and UNK. We moved to Wyoming when I was pretty young. Started out at UW after HS, then transferred to UNK after 3 semesters. That's where I met @#HBD, @B1G_10_Tony, etc. Grew up a Nebraska fan from as far back as I can remember, though I do follow UW athletics a little bit.

Did an internship in Lincoln after I graduated from UNK, then got my first job in Houston. Went back to WY for a job for 5 years, then got a job in Dallas.

There it is, my entire life story, you hyenas.
You could have just said "my family is from southeast Wyoming."

Theme customization system

You can customize some areas of the forum theme from this menu.

• Wide/Narrow view

You can control a structure that you can use to use your theme wide or narrow.

Grid view forum list

You can control the layout of the forum list in a grid or ordinary listing style structure.

Picture grid mode

You can control the structure where you can open/close images in the grid forum list.

Close sidebar

You can get rid of the crowded view in the forum by closing the sidebar.

Fixed sidebar

You can make it more useful and easier to access by pinning the sidebar.

Close radius

You can use the radius at the corners of the blocks according to your taste by closing/opening it.

• Color combinations cannot be used

Color combinations are not available to you, this area may be restricted by administrators. Please contact the administrator for more information.

Backgrounds are not available!

Background checks are not available to you, this area may be restricted by administrators. Please contact the administrator for more information.

Back