Welcome to The Platinum Board

We are a Nebraska Husker fan community. Please either login or register for an account

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

The ultimate in Husker fandom. To be buried in a Husker vault under Memorial Stadium

Copy/paste

😐​

Love the Huskers to death? Proposal would allow fans to be buried in Memorial Stadium​

Boneyard
Omaha Regent Barb Weitz suggested allowing Husker faithful to make their permanent address inside Memorial Stadium as a potential source of revenue during NU budget discussions on Thursday.
KENNETH FERRIERA, Journal Star file photo
For Husker fans whose love of all things Big Red is eternal, the University of Nebraska may one day have a deal for you: How about a final resting place inside Memorial Stadium?
Now, to be clear and unequivocal, NU is not in any way considering making the Boneyard — as the student section has been dubbed — a more literal place inside the iconic college football venue.
But, Omaha Regent Barb Weitz listed allowing the Husker faithful to make their permanent address inside Memorial Stadium as one potential revenue driver during discussion of the NU system's budget on Thursday.
"I, as a regent, am committed to finding new sources of revenue," she said. "I already told everybody about my idea of a columbarium under Memorial (Stadium)."
While the quip was met with laughs from regents and others in the boardroom that have heard Weitz's pitch, the former faculty member at the University of Nebraska at Omaha quickly moved on without elaborating further.

People are also reading…​

Asked after the meeting, Weitz said she originally pitched the idea to former NU President Ted Carter ahead of the upcoming $450 million renovation of the stadium.
While new seats and concession stands are completed, and sometime before the turf field is converted back into grass, Weitz said it was the perfect time to leverage the emotional connection fans have to Memorial Stadium.
NU could sell spots within a proposed columbarium — a room or building with spaces, or niches, for funeral urns — at varying prices depending on the location, under Weitz's idea.
A spot near the 50-yard line or under the end zone would fetch a higher price than other areas of the stadium, for example, while a niche with a forever view of the Tunnel Walk could also go for a premium.
Each niche could be adorned with photos of the departed in their favorite Husker gear or during a memorable game in the stadium, she added, giving a visit on Saturdays in the fall added meaning for family and friends.
It's unlikely, or near impossible, that the university moves forward on the idea from Weitz, which came among a slew of other ideas like corporate partnerships and engaging nonprofits to help NU's fiscal future.
On Thursday, regents approved a $1.1 billion budget for 2024-25 that includes a combination of cuts and tuition increases — the traditional levers used by the board to set a balanced budget.
The idea of making Memorial Stadium the final resting place for the Husker faithful was received with mixed to mostly negative reviews on X, the social media website formerly known as Twitter.
"If this was implemented before selling alcohol I think I'd have a stroke," one user wrote.
"There is no (resting) place like Nebraska," another said.

As if the ashes of former loved ones weren't scatted on the field during the old "drug free pledge" at halftime of the spring game over the years. Been happening for a while, and I presumed the reason they stand and take the pledge in the stadium seats/benches these days.

As if the curse wasn't enough, some ghosts haunting the stadium is exactly what Nebraska needs.
Sounds like an old episode of Scooby Doo
MV5BNGMyYzk2MDQtYTBlZC00MjEyLTg3ZDAtYmRmY2M4YWM3MWUwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTU2MjMwNTE3._V1_.jpg

Theme customization system

You can customize some areas of the forum theme from this menu.

• Wide/Narrow view

You can control a structure that you can use to use your theme wide or narrow.

Grid view forum list

You can control the layout of the forum list in a grid or ordinary listing style structure.

Close sidebar

You can get rid of the crowded view in the forum by closing the sidebar.

Fixed sidebar

You can make it more useful and easier to access by pinning the sidebar.

• Color combinations cannot be used

Color combinations are not available to you, this area may be restricted by administrators. Please contact the administrator for more information.

Color gradient backgrounds
Back