Welcome to the forum 👋, Visitor

To access the forum content and all our services, you must register or log in to the forum. Becoming a member of the forum is completely free.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Sunday - 12/27 - Drinking Thread

cwessel76

Run The Damn Ball
Elite Member
tPB OG
Today I decided I had to venture out 45 minutes to Laurel, MD to pick up my favorite gin on the planet, Dingle.

(Virginia is an ABC state and that sucks big donkey balls)

dingle_960x.jpg

I first discovered this gin last year in Galway, Ireland, oddly enough at an ice cream shop that sold Dingle Gin ice cream. It rocked my world so the next day when we went to the village of Dingle we ordered G&Ts with Dingle Gin. It was love at first sip.

Tonight the plan is to watch my Packers clinch home field advantage and watch Tenent afterwards while sipping on G&Ts.

Today I decided I had to venture out 45 minutes to Laurel, MD to pick up my favorite gin on the planet, Dingle.

(Virginia is an ABC state and that sucks big donkey balls)

dingle_960x.jpg

I first discovered this gin last year in Galway, Ireland, oddly enough at an ice cream shop that sold Dingle Gin ice cream. It rocked my world so the next day when we went to the village of Dingle we ordered G&Ts with Dingle Gin. It was love at first sip.

Tonight the plan is to watch my Packers clinch home field advantage and watch Tenent afterwards while sipping on G&Ts.
That's a nice evening you've got planned! Unfortunately, one part of your plan is likely to lead to disappointment. I'll let you guess which one.

I've been having a few today, including some lovely cognacs, but I spent a good deal of time with this bad boy in the afternoon writing tasting notes and assigning a score:

1609112048766.png

I’ve been working all day. My driver that does the bulk route with all the heavy shit called out sick so I got to do his route all day. I need alcohol now.

They should make a Dingle Berry flavor
It’s a rough name I know but if anybody plans on going to Ireland next year for the Illinois game I HIGHLY recommend renting a car and checking out Dingle/Ring of Kerry, Galway, and Donegal (NW Ireland). I had the time of my life there.

(Not my pictures but I have a bunch that are similar. My profile pick is me at Conor Pass just outside of Dingle).

Slieve League (Donegal)

slieve-league-walkway-strip.jpg

Galway’s Latin Quarter (aka my heaven)

IMG_1784.jpg

Dingle

main-street-shops-in-the-town-of-dingle-ireland-EH5NE4.jpg

The 16 was amazing (Talisker is still my favorite). How is the 20?
Overall, very good. What was so interesting to me was that the nose suggested above-average, but not anything special. It was the palate, both arrival and finish, that really showcased what a powerhouse it is.

And, yes, Talisker is pretty great. Hard to do better than the 10 yo for consistency, quality, and price.

Overall, very good. What was so interesting to me was that the nose suggested above-average, but not anything special. It was the palate, both arrival and finish, that really showcased what a powerhouse it is.

And, yes, Talisker is pretty great. Hard to do better than the 10 yo for consistency, quality, and price.
I’ve been eyeing Oban, what are your thoughts on that one?
I bought Ardbeg 10 last year and wasn’t a big fan of it. The peat was fine but you could have told me that was a 6 or an 8 year bottling and I would have believed you.

It’s a rough name I know but if anybody plans on going to Ireland next year for the Illinois game I HIGHLY recommend renting a car and checking out Dingle/Ring of Kerry, Galway, and Donegal (NW Ireland). I had the time of my life there.

(Not my pictures but I have a bunch that are similar. My profile pick is me at Conor Pass just outside of Dingle).

Slieve League (Donegal)

slieve-league-walkway-strip.jpg

Galway’s Latin Quarter (aka my heaven)

IMG_1784.jpg

Dingle

main-street-shops-in-the-town-of-dingle-ireland-EH5NE4.jpg
Agree, Dingle and the peninsula are beautiful. My favorite was Irish Mist for breakfast at our b&b in Dingle. It was Irish steel cut oats with Irish whiskey.

I bought Ardbeg 10 last year and wasn’t a big fan of it. The peat was fine but you could have told me that was a 6 or an 8 year bottling and I would have believed you.
It's actually been a while since I've had Oban 14 yo, and I've only ever sampled it at bars, which makes forming definitive conclusions dubious. You basically never know the condition of the bottle and how it's been stored. That being said, my recollections weren't of anything tremendously impressive. Notwithstanding that, I know there are several commentators whom I respect that hold it in high esteem. I've been thinking about buying a bottle myself this year, because my collection, as it currently stands, has so few core-of-range official bottlings.

I love Ardbeg 10 yo, but naturally opinions vary on all of this stuff.

So I bought a bottle of Oban 14 yo today after doing some grocery shopping. As I mentioned, I'd been meaning to pick one up for several reasons: 1) As I also mentioned, it's a widely-available official bottling that many commentators I respect enjoy; 2) It's one of the few remaining "Western Highland" distilleries--I've actually been to the town, which is a nice little seaport; and 3) My collection of scotch, as of late, has been dominated by independent bottlings and niche officials (single casks, limited editions, etc.), so I wanted to grab an official that is core-of-range.

In a similar way as I mentioned above about bars and forming definitive impressions, you have to be careful on the first pour from a newly-opened bottle. It will change given a bit of air and time (I try to give at least two weeks or so before coming to conclusions). That being said, I've cracked it open tonight and am really quit enjoying it. There's a ton of character, especially given it's bottled at 43%. Pretty pleased with the purchase.

Theme customization system

You can customize some areas of the forum theme from this menu.

• Wide/Narrow view

You can control a structure that you can use to use your theme wide or narrow.

Grid view forum list

You can control the layout of the forum list in a grid or ordinary listing style structure.

Picture grid mode

You can control the structure where you can open/close images in the grid forum list.

Close sidebar

You can get rid of the crowded view in the forum by closing the sidebar.

Fixed sidebar

You can make it more useful and easier to access by pinning the sidebar.

Close radius

You can use the radius at the corners of the blocks according to your taste by closing/opening it.

• Color combinations cannot be used

Color combinations are not available to you, this area may be restricted by administrators. Please contact the administrator for more information.

Backgrounds are not available!

Background checks are not available to you, this area may be restricted by administrators. Please contact the administrator for more information.

Back