Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Should Ohio State make the playoffs (1 Viewer)

nscottie

Running Back
Elite Member
Even if they win the Big Ten championship game, I'm not convinced they deserve a spot. That gives them six games against not great competition. Do we really know how good they are? I think they would have a better argument if they had been allowed to schedule another game this weekend.

I look at Florida and Texas A&M and think they are probably more deserving. Part of me wants Ohio State left out, just to stick it to Warren and the mess the conference made this year.

Jim14510

GOD MOD
Admin
Elite Member
tPB OG
Your argument isn't completely without merit but it boils down to who gets in instead. There's still games to be played so you've got a few different scenarios.

First of all A&M I dont care. This is about who the best team is and they clearly aren't it. Alabama crushed them. Had it been close it would be a different story. They were absolutely dominated. They're out.

Obviously the first 3 Ohio St wins or its not a conversation. Don't care how much they win by.

Scenario 1 Most likely imho
Alabama beats Florida in SEC championship
Clemson beats Notre Dame in ACC championship
Alabama
Ohio State
Clemson
Notre Dame

Scenario 2
Florida beats Alabama
Clemson beats Notre Dame
Clemson
2,3, and 4 now depend on the optics. Did Florida crush Alabama? Key people out because of Covid? If Florida wins by a bunch against a full strength Alabama I think you could make a case for Alabama being left out. Highly doubt that happens anyway so imagine they're both in.

Did Clemson crush Notre Dame? Ohio St scrapes by against Northwestern? 3 and 4 depend on those answers

Scenario 3
Florida beats bama close game.
Notre Dame beats Clemson
Alabama
Florida
Ohio St
Clemson

How about Scenario 4?
Alabama beats Florida
Ohio St loses to Northwestern
Notre Dame beats Clemson again
Cincinnati wins big

Alabama
Notre Dame
Cincinnati
4th?
No way I'm putting Cockeye St in. They have 2 losses and one of them is to a G5 team
A&M see above
No B1G team

What about 5-0 USC? Are they having a PAC 12 championship? Maybe 6-0.

dsbigred1

Quarterback
tPB OG
Even if they win the Big Ten championship game, I'm not convinced they deserve a spot. That gives them six games against not great competition. Do we really know how good they are? I think they would have a better argument if they had been allowed to schedule another game this weekend.

I look at Florida and Texas A&M and think they are probably more deserving. Part of me wants Ohio State left out, just to stick it to Warren and the mess the conference made this year.
Do we really know how good anyone outside of Alabama is this year? To me, they have been head and shoulders above anyone else, and going off the eye test, it hasn’t been close.
Norte Dame looked entirely beatable for the first half of the year, and their only great win is against a Clemson team that didn’t have their QB and was playing a true freshman. Clemson also has been pretty average (by Clemson standards) to this point. A signature win against Miami??
A&M beat FL, but look at the rest of their wins... it lacks a fair amount of substance. Same can be said with FL because they lost to A&M. But we find out more about them vs Bama.
IMO the only other team worth mentioning is Cinci. They’ve played good ball, but not playing this week hurts as that would be a solid win for them if they got it.
So while OSU may not be deserving, I don’t really see a drop off from any of the others in consideration for the playoff at all. When you only play league teams, this is what can happen-especially in a year where a lot of traditionally strong teams flat out stink.

Jim14510

GOD MOD
Admin
Elite Member
tPB OG
Do we really know how good anyone outside of Alabama is this year? To me, they have been head and shoulders above anyone else, and going off the eye test, it hasn’t been close.
Norte Dame looked entirely beatable for the first half of the year, and their only great win is against a Clemson team that didn’t have their QB and was playing a true freshman. Clemson also has been pretty average (by Clemson standards) to this point. A signature win against Miami??
A&M beat FL, but look at the rest of their wins... it lacks a fair amount of substance. Same can be said with FL because they lost to A&M. But we find out more about them vs Bama.
IMO the only other team worth mentioning is Cinci. They’ve played good ball, but not playing this week hurts as that would be a solid win for them if they got it.
So while OSU may not be deserving, I don’t really see a drop off from any of the others in consideration for the playoff at all. When you only play league teams, this is what can happen-especially in a year where a lot of traditionally strong teams flat out stink.
I said the same thing about Cincinnati but they play each other in the AAC championship next week anyway. So it just went from playing each other 2 weeks in a row to just once.

nscottie

Running Back
Elite Member
Guess I should add a bit of background. I’m an OSU alum, born and raised in Ohio. But I am a Husker fan over all others.

Talking to OSU friends, they’re convinced that if OSU is left out the world will end, no one will watch, etc. Guess the arrogance set me off last night

iruletheskool

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
tPB OG
Yes. They are one of the four best teams.

We don't even have this conversation if they played one more game agains a team with. . . Checks notes. . . 2 wins. What difference does that make?

Drue629

Safety
tPB OG
Pick'Em Champion
No they don’t deserve it but they’ll get in. It brings a lot of revenue to the big ten and at the end of the day they are one of the best 4 teams no matter how many games they play.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds